Shrader is a Leader | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader is a Leader

Sure everyone knew his legs were his strength. It's more about the ability to make something happen when the play breaks down. Do you think he was able to show that in practice the way he has in games? I'm not so sure. Many of his biggest plays have come in situations where the play would've been blown dead in practice.
Yes I do. He made things happen when plays broke down in HS and at Miss st. He’s the opposite of TD. Quick whistles doesn’t prevent coaches from seeing play making ability. They have team sessions/scrimmages designed to allow them to see how well players extend plays. It’s part of the eval process. Having legs give you the ability to make plays running or make throws on the run. Staff saw that and that’s why he eventually beat out TD.

Some things Shrader does in live action you'd never see in camp... not only is he fast and elusive but he's got some toughness to him. l just hope he doesn't get hurt.
Gee, everybody else here hopes he gets hurt.

Yes I do. He made things happen when plays broke down in HS and at Miss st. He’s the opposite of TD. Quick whistles doesn’t prevent coaches from seeing play making ability. They have team sessions/scrimmages designed to allow them to see how well players extend plays. It’s part of the eval process. Having legs give you the ability to make plays running or make throws on the run. Staff saw that and that’s why he eventually beat out TD.
Ok. I'll have to take your word for it. It's just that we've seen players that were buried on depth charts over the years only to become stars after various circumstances thrust them to the forefront. If their ability was so obvious in practice, why did the coaches have them buried until their hands were forced?

You need some mirror time my friend. You are the definition of Baber hater. He could deliver a NT and you wouldn't give him credit.
Good nose tackles are hard to come by

I remembered that guy 54, getting a contact with him, not a real broken tackle. To me, that is the single greatest play in Syracuse football history. Glad you put up the video so that people could see real Orange glory.

Ok. I'll have to take your word for it. It's just that we've seen players that were buried on depth charts over the years only to become stars after various circumstances thrust them to the forefront. If their ability was so obvious in practice, why did the coaches have them buried until their hands were forced?
Some times players emerge when given an opportunity some times they dont. Its doesnt happen as much as you think. You rarely see true freshman take over and dominate. You see alot emerge after a year or two in the program. That comes from work ethic. Buying in to strength and conditioning, film study, improving skill and technique. Each player is different. Some emerge, some stay the same or get worse. It happens in every program.

I agree. I played bball in college baseball and football HS.
I did know some guys who weren't great in practice turn it on in games but very few.
The much bigger situation were good practice players who didnt do well in real games.
My thought is that TD is one of those players.

Here's our show talking about Shrader's performance against VT. He looked like a totally different passer for a large stretch of the game. We're putting out Syracuse content daily so be sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel!

Sean Tucker?

Some times players emerge when given an opportunity some times they dont. Its doesnt happen as much as you think. You rarely see true freshman take over and dominate. You see alot emerge after a year or two in the program. That comes from work ethic. Buying in to strength and conditioning, film study, improving skill and technique. Each player is different. Some emerge, some stay the same or get worse. It happens in every program.
Sure. I understand that some guys take time to develop and I know it doesn't happen all of the time. I remember Marcus Sales being someone that people said he didn't practice well but seemed to be a gamer. I think I remember Mike Hart being something like 4th string to start his freshman year at Michigan and then injuries to some guys in front of him playing a role in him becoming the starter in the 3rd game. Then he leads the big 10 in rushing that year. I just think it's possible Shrader does some things in games even the coaches didn't anticipate while watching him practice. Could I be wrong? Sure.

Some things Shrader does in live action you'd never see in camp... not only is he fast and elusive but he's got some toughness to him. l just hope he doesn't get hurt.
Evidently he can fly too.

I agree. I played bball in college baseball and football HS.
I did know some guys who weren't great in practice turn it on in games but very few.
The much bigger situation were good practice players who didnt do well in real games.
My thought is that TD is one of those players.
This isn’t a surprise, that was knock on him since high school.

Sure. I understand that some guys take time to develop and I know it doesn't happen all of the time. I remember Marcus Sales being someone that people said he didn't practice well but seemed to be a gamer. I think I remember Mike Hart being something like 4th string to start his freshman year at Michigan and then injuries to some guys in front of him playing a role in him becoming the starter in the 3rd game. Then he leads the big 10 in rushing that year. I just think it's possible Shrader does some things in games even the coaches didn't anticipate while watching him practice. Could I be wrong? Sure.
Nah I think you made some good points. There are probably some things Shrader does that's better than anticipated.

When he has good mechanics and plants his feet and drives the ball it usually is a nice throw. I think if he cleans up his footwork and gets his balance right he will improve a lot as a passer.

I...think I trust Dino, Gilbert on this. Plus whatever potential QB trainer he may have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom