Shrader is a Leader | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader is a Leader

*Maybe

I’m in the camp of “wasn’t ready” - TD beat him out due to experience within the room. Until he played well enough while TD’s 4th Q implosion vs Rutgers made it an open question.

The only people capable of really answering this question are on the staff. You might be right - but I don’t think it’s truly possible to know.

I’m glad it got sorted moving fwd 10000%
I'm not sure the staff could even answer it. I believe Shrader wasn't able to show his strengths in practice. You can't improvise and break tackles when defenders aren't allowed to touch you.

Last edited:
You could literally attach this post to a 1985 thread and replace Babers name with Macpherson. Did you lead the Sack Mac movement?
Big difference, coach Mac wasn't making high school coaching mistakes. Once he got his recruited players in he started winning. DB has not had a winning season yet with his players. He would have 3 extra wins this year if not for his decisions.

Big difference, coach Mac wasn't making high school coaching mistakes. Once he got his recruited players in he started winning. DB has not had a winning season yet with his players. He would have 3 extra wins this year if not for his decisions.
It could be my desire to remember all things coach Mac favorably, but I recall him as a tremendous game manager. People used to get mad and laugh about him quick kicking on 3rd down when we were backed up, but it worked out 90% of the time.

He put kids in a position to win, and he also had the all time great decision of going for 2 against WVU when there was everything to lose….yet everything to gain with that decision.

It could be my desire to remember all things coach Mac favorably, but I recall him as a tremendous game manager. People used to get mad and laugh about him quick kicking on 3rd down when we were backed up, but it worked out 90% of the time.

He put kids in a position to win, and he also had the all time great decision of going for 2 against WVU when there was everything to lose….yet everything to gain with that decision.
Everything in your post is fact......yet they wanted his head on a platter after his first 4 years. Correct?

I know one pass that wasn’t a lame duck

and that was the last pass of the game perfectly landed into Alfords hand for the game winning 42 yard TD pass
the earlier td pass was even better, strike perfect man

I'm not sure the staff could even answer it. I believe Shrader wasn't able to show his strengths in practice. You can't improvise ane break tackles when defenders aren't allowed to touch you.
His run ability was one of the reasons why they brought him in. The players said in interviews that Shrader's legs were his strength. You dont need to be tackled in practice to see run ability.

I'm not sure the staff could even answer it. I believe Shrader wasn't able to show his strengths in practice. You can't improvise and break tackles when defenders aren't allowed to touch you.
If that’s true, I’m not sure why it’s even being discussed? He wasn’t ready based on camp, and no live tackling - TD was ahead - Shrader got reps and showed his stuff, TD left.

It is all guessing. But I wonder if Shrader was named starter at the beginning of camp, does he get a rapport with Taj? If so does that keep Taj here all season since he is more confident he will get the ball? Does that make us better, or are we better off without Taj?
Good question. But there was zero chance Tommy wasn't going to start at Ohio if he was healthy and he deserved to start. I just think the rotation at Rutgers wasn’t handled well.

If that’s true, I’m not sure why it’s even being discussed? He wasn’t ready based on camp, and no live tackling - TD was ahead - Shrader got reps and showed his stuff, TD left.

Do you know that for fact?

just curious because everything I heard out of camp was that Shrader was ahead of TD in camp.

not trying to argue just trying to verify

Way too many absolutes in folk's comments, IMO. It's the nature of sports these days to just throw out definitive statements w/out qualifications or proper context.
I will say this though; TD is no more. We have a real good chance for something special with GS and our star RB Tucker. And, on the other side of that- HCDB remains a below average at best and "horrible" at worst, game manager/decision maker. IMHO. All those things can be true at the same time.
The bottomline as always- Are we winning? "Winning cures all ills" is the most absolute statement that I'm willing to make. LGfrickenO!

Last edited:
Everything in your post is fact...yet they wanted his head on a platter after his first 4 years. Correct?
That is not correct. I have been following SU since '71 season. There was so much bad football played that having four losing seasons was not that unusual. There was Joe Morris in the late 70's to early 80's which helped to keep hopes up for a winning season. Everyone knew that FM was at the end and once coach Mac was hired I know a lot of us were happy knowing what he has done at Mass.

Everything in your post is fact...yet they wanted his head on a platter after his first 4 years. Correct?

correct. There was a good sized contingent in the sack Mac crowd.

in the week leading up to the Ohio game Dino said one QB had separated himself from the other.

Do you know that for fact?

just curious because everything I heard out of camp was that Shrader was ahead of TD in camp.

not trying to argue just trying to verify
EDIT: also, note the qualifier of "if that's true"

I'm going with what we saw on the field in game 1.

Why would Dino play the worse QB? What's the alternative theory to "Dino didn't think GS was ready"?

Micheal Owens, the unsung 44, broke a tackle to get in the endzone and completed the undefeated season.

Last edited:

Mac surrounded himself with great coaches which helped his game management I am sure and he also would get after kids to motivate them more than people remember. I remember him questioning toughness quite a bit.

I think he would be 4th down go for it happy these days, which I am fine with

l think Shrader is what Dino needs to get his mojo back...he's a better coach when he has a difference maker at QB

l think Shrader is what Dino needs to get his mojo back...he's a better coach when he has a difference maker at QB
Belichick was better coach when he had the GOAT.

His run ability was one of the reasons why they brought him in. The players said in interviews that Shrader's legs were his strength. You dont need to be tackled in practice to see run ability.
Sure everyone knew his legs were his strength. It's more about the ability to make something happen when the play breaks down. Do you think he was able to show that in practice the way he has in games? I'm not so sure. Many of his biggest plays have come in situations where the play would've been blown dead in practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom