shrader vs devito this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

shrader vs devito this year

Thx for that. Kaiser promised on 9/1 that he would come back to the board
and lecture us about playing a tight end at qb but he never did. No doubt in
my mind we were better off with Shrader vs Tommy this year. Tommy just had
to be playing behind a better 0-line.
Tommy doesn’t have the “It” factor and is very mechanical in his play. He is a fast runner but doesn’t like to get hit. I’ve seen him go out of bounds five yards before a defender or throw a three yard pass on a third and eight play. He’s not instinctive like Garret or Eric who have the will yo win

They’re both flawed QBs and it is likely that neither would make this team ACC championship caliber.

His stats were better in 2019 vs this year. So this year proves 2019 wasn't his fault?

Not close. 2019 52.4. 2022 84.4.

Does anyone know how Illinois fans feel about DeVito? Curious what they say and how big a factor they feel he was in their success this season.

Their other option was Art Sitkowski, so I'm sure they are thrilled.

They went from 5-7 to 8-4, mostly on running game and D, but also because he's a more accurate passer than ol' Art.

Tommy did what they asked of him.

We asked more of him.

Not close. 2019 52.4. 2022 84.4.

What is that? His stats are basically the same vs P5 teams 2019 vs 2022. The 2022 are a hair better.

63.6% 1628 yards 6.9 ypa 11 TD 2 INT 135.19 rating 180.9 ypg (includes Wake where he played only a few snaps, Pitt and Louisville that he left the games early)

68.8% 1871 yards 7 ypa 10 TD 4 INT 137.28 rating 187.1 ypg (includes leaving Iowa early)

Their other option was Art Sitkowski, so I'm sure they are thrilled.

They went from 5-7 to 8-4, mostly on running game and D, but also because he's a more accurate passer than ol' Art.

Tommy did what they asked of him.

We asked more of him.

He is better than Art but Art did win them the Iowa game.

I guess, but it was a 9-6 game. Pretty sure even Tommy could have led them to that last 26 yard FG drive when Chase Brown ran for all the yards.

Lol. Art didn’t do anything. They won 9-6. He. Mar in on the 1st qtr at 3-0. He “led” them on drives of 37 and 26 yard drives for 2 FGs. That’s it. What he did do was mid 4th qtr and Illinois ball on the Iowa 4, he threw an interception in the end zone.

Yea, he won them the game.

Lol. Art didn’t do anything. They won 9-6. He. Mar in on the 1st qtr at 3-0. He “led” them on drives of 37 and 26 yard drives for 2 FGs. That’s it. What he did do was mid 4th qtr and Illinois ball on the Iowa 4, he threw an interception in the end zone.

Yea, he won them the game.

I meant that they won with Art, not that they won because of Art. My main point was they didn't need Tommy and could win without him. Art did have the better day though.

Art was 13-19 74 yards 1 INT 90.6 rating.

Tommy was 6-11 42 yards 86.6 rating.

What is that? His stats are basically the same vs P5 teams 2019 vs 2022. The 2022 are a hair better.

63.6% 1628 yards 6.9 ypa 11 TD 2 INT 135.19 rating 180.9 ypg (includes Wake where he played only a few snaps, Pitt and Louisville that he left the games early)

68.8% 1871 yards 7 ypa 10 TD 4 INT 137.28 rating 187.1 ypg (includes leaving Iowa early)

Not basically the same. Those are PFF grades who teach about 25 metrics.

I meant that they won with Art, not that they won because of Art. My main point was they didn't need Tommy and could win without him. Art did have the better day though.

Art was 13-19 74 yards 1 INT 90.6 rating.

Tommy was 6-11 42 yards 86.6 rating.

Whatever that number is. PFF has Tommy with the better grade and better NFL rating. What does it even matter?

Take the Purdue game for instance. Tommy would have gotten happy feet and would have gotten sacked where GS stepped up and threw a beautiful 25 yard pass to Oronde Gadsden for a touchdown to win.

Take the Purdue game for instance. Tommy would have gotten happy feet and would have gotten sacked where GS stepped up and threw a beautiful 25 yard pass to Oronde Gadsden for a touchdown to win.

How do you know? Have you watched him play this year?

Ugh, I hope not. I’d hate to lose that game. Not saying we would but they’d be a tough team to play if we can’t stop the run.
Zero chance Brown would play in a low tier bowl.

I don’t know why people can’t be happy we have Shrader without trying to downplay someone else. Devito’s on a different team and in a different system now. Their new OC said before the season he believes in small ball, control the ball and control the clock. Strong running game and short passing game to keep the chains moving. Devito is doing what the team wants. It seems to be pretty successful. He has a great running back, but so did we at one time. He has a great defense but so did we at one time. You play the cards your dealt. Shrader, injuries aside, has had a great season. Much improved as a passer. But for Illinois Devito has had a great year too. Not as good as Shrader’s but still great.

In PFF for the season out of the 64 P5 teams

Shrader is graded # 7 as an all around QB (passing and running). Great for us.

Devito is graded #15 as an all around QB. Still pretty damn good out of 64 P5 teams. And he’s #1 in the B10.

Strictly as a passer PFF has Shrader at #8 and Devito #13. Congrats to both.

So yes Shrader has had a better season, great for us, but I don’t think Illinois is complaining either.

How do you know? Have you watched him play this year?
Yeah I have. He has a much better offensive line than Syracuse. He plays AVERAGE. Not once have I seen him make a play that would make a Sportscenter top ten play.

Garrett Shrader isn’t perfect but he has turned many bad situations into big plays (many which have been ESPN highlights). He is very much like Dungey, where Devito is not and never will be. It’s called a “Playmaker”.

I don’t know why people can’t be happy we have Shrader without trying to downplay someone else. Devito’s on a different team and in a different system now. Their new OC said before the season he believes in small ball, control the ball and control the clock. Strong running game and short passing game to keep the chains moving. Devito is doing what the team wants. It seems to be pretty successful. He has a great running back, but so did we at one time. He has a great defense but so did we at one time. You play the cards your dealt. Shrader, injuries aside, has had a great season. Much improved as a passer. But for Illinois Devito has had a great year too. Not as good as Shrader’s but still great.

Devito is graded #15 as an all around QB. Still pretty damn good out of 64 P5 teams. And he’s #1 in the B10.

So yes Shrader has had a better season, great for us, but I don’t think Illinois is complaining either.
Good post

Amen

For what it’s worth my intention was not to take jabs at a young man playing a sport that he loves, but I obviously did. The only point I wanted to make, but got carried away was that in my opinion Garrett is a better quarterback than Tommy. I should have said that and then shut up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom