Shrader | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader

I would suggest that Dungey had a better WR corps to throw to as well. Guys who could extend a play and come back for balls. Right now, other than OG, it’s the route as drawn up or nothing.

Garrett doesn't have NFL arm talent. He'll 100% go undrafted. Dungey had a better arm and went undrafted and had better numbers. Unless something completely miraculous happens, Shrader's last snaps in football will be in an Orange uniform. But he is a damn good college ball player, with the potential to be really good if he stays healthy.
Better numbers? Dungey is one of my favorite SU players all time but his numbers is on par with GS and GS still has a season to play. Both missed games to injury. Eric only threw for 60% in 2018 and that was with a better supporting cast. Dungey’s grit and passion during play is what separates him right now.

FvDNUcoWcAA6Jy-

I mentioned this the other day in a different thread. GS directly told my buddy he believes and/or people advising him believe, he can get drafted in the 2nd round. So in the very least, that’s his focus. As I said in the other thread it’ll be interesting if that impacts the amount of running he does. One, for self preservation and finish a full season and two, film of him running all the time isn’t going to get him drafted in the 2nd round most likely.

There’s one thing the NFL loves in a QB and that’s size. GS physically fits what the NFL likes to see. If he can show improved passing ability; which isn’t all determined by him (new coach and play calling, OL, and do we actually have a WR corp this year) then I could see him getting in the top half of the draft.

Last edited:
I know this is a Shrader thread but how in the world is Hartman still playing college football?
Might hold some games played records for a few years. Played as a true freshman; and, Covid-19.

In college ball (at SU) when you take Shrader's run game out of our offense our offense suffers. At least so far. The run threat generally baffles the D, when he's healthy.

In college ball (at SU) when you take Shrader's run game out of our offense our offense suffers. At least so far. The run threat generally baffles the D, when he's healthy.

I think we’re going to throw to the RB more so it’ll be interesting to see if that helps keep the defense off balance instead of running GS all the time. When the backs were involved in the passing game last year it opened things up a lot. We just didn’t do it enough for a variety of reasons.

Better numbers? Dungey is one of my favorite SU players all time but his numbers is on par with GS and GS still has a season to play. Both missed games to injury. Eric only threw for 60% in 2018 and that was with a better supporting cast. Dungey’s grit and passion during play is what separates him right now.
Dungey didn't have a Sean Tucker that took the heat off him and made the other team stack the box. Dungey's best year was still better than Shrader's best year, and Dungey made plays and got yards when it mattered. Dungey's ball had way more zip on it than Shrader has ever shown, I have no idea how people can say Shrader's shot putt is a better arm. Point is, he's not an NFL talent. Does anyone actually disagree with that?

I don't know that I fully agree with that comparison.

Dungey did not have a "better" arm in terms of arm strength -- but he had better short / intermediate accuracy.

Shrader has a bigger arm, but less accuracy. BUT last year was a big step in the right direction in terms of accuracy [and the national ratings last year reflected that], under the new coaching. Looking forward to what improvements he shows now being in his second season under Beck.

None of which implies that Shrader is an NFL prospect.
Lets take a few minute and hope and dream that Shrader's surgery recovery goes well and actually helps improve his skills in these areas. An arm/elbow injury sure seams like it could result in accuracy problems. Shrader has said its something he's dealt with for a while now. Who knows? Maybe its always bothered him a bit and has hurt his accuracy. Maybe its been going on for years but surgery was never a strong consideration as he never wanted to miss Spring ball because he's always been fighting for PT and depth chart positioning. Now he knows he's the starter and it was the time to do it. Certainly is a possibility. Wouldn't that be awesome!?!

Last edited:
Dungey didn't have a Sean Tucker that took the heat off him and made the other team stack the box. Dungey's best year was still better than Shrader's best year, and Dungey made plays and got yards when it mattered. Dungey's ball had way more zip on it than Shrader has ever shown, I have no idea how people can say Shrader's shot putt is a better arm. Point is, he's not an NFL talent. Does anyone actually disagree with that?
I think Dungey's and Shrader's arm strength and accuracy are both pretty similar actually. But if Shrader's surgery helps him who knows what happens to his arm strength and accuracy.

Are we really back to the Shrader doesn’t have an arm thing? I remember back in 2021 hearing fans say he can’t complete a pass pass 25 yards. Now it’s he doesn’t have an NFL arm. We keep putting this guy down and doubting him and I’m really not quite sure why.

It may be a long time til we have a talent like him again, let’s enjoy it.

Are we really back to the Shrader doesn’t have an arm thing? I remember back in 2021 hearing fans say he can’t complete a pass pass 25 yards. Now it’s he doesn’t have an NFL arm. We keep putting this guy down and doubting him and I’m really not quite sure why.

It may be a long time til we have a talent like him again, let’s enjoy it.
And he has the grit. I know he will lay it on the line. He has proven that. I personally don’t know who will make it in the NFL. Wasn’t Brady a late round DC. The peanut gallery here doesn’t know either.

2018 had a better surrounding cast. The backfield rushed for 1700 yards and that's excluding Dungey. Sean rushed for a little over 1000 this year. Im judging them based on stats/efficiency, not pro potential. The stats doesn't show that he's a better QB as much as you think. That's all I am saying. I don't think any of them are NFL QB's but Shrader has another year to prove me wrong.

I mentioned this the other day in a different thread. GS directly told my buddy he believes and/or people advising him believe, he can get drafted in the 2nd round. So in the very least, that’s his focus. As I said in the other thread it’ll be interesting if that impacts the amount of running he does. One, for self preservation and finish a full season and two, film of him running all the time isn’t going to get him drafted in the 2nd round most likely.

There’s one thing the NFL loves in a QB and that’s size. GS physically fits what the NFL likes to see. If he can show improved passing ability; which isn’t all determined by him (new coach and play calling, OL, and do we actually have a WR corp this year) then I could see him getting in the top half of the draft.
If GS could work his way to a second round pick, we should build a statue to Coach Beck on campus.