Shrader | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader

I like what I saw from Lamson in the spring game but its very different going against backs ups and early enrolled DB's instead of ND and Pitt's front 7. They are loaded with NFL dudes.
Sure but the kid can only take 1 step at a time. So far so good… until the injury

I agree. My thoughts were from the spring game. Im not holding his injury against him but I cant truly get a feel for what he can do until he faces the same adversity as others.

And he lost a lot of development time.

I'm just hopeful that he can be a viable 3rd option later in the season, because there's a good chance we'll need it.

And he lost a lot of development time.

I'm just hopeful that he can be a viable 3rd option later in the season, because there's a good chance we'll need it.
Yup, getting to #2 by the summer. Making that jump coming off an injury will be impressive and will say a lot about his future.

I agree. My thoughts were from the spring game. Im not holding his injury against him but I cant truly get a feel for what he can do until he faces the same adversity as others.

Agree. We saw he could make throws and be mobile but not under real pressure. At worst the potential is there.

Kid is a plus athlete who made an incredible leap in accuracy.

He needs to cut down on the sacks he causes, quicken up his release, be able to drive the ball into tighter windows, eliminate the game killing TO’s.

The offense has to have better pace and give Shrader the ability to get rid of the ball quickly

So here is the thing with CDRW. None of us know how game ready he was or wasn't. Everyone on the coaching staff and the team wants to win and to me the coaches have all the information. I don't believe one iota that CDRW was held out for some bs reason. Either CDRW was thought able to contribute or not. No matter what anyone here says, the coaches make the call. To me based on the decisions made, was that a 100 percent CDRW was not better than a 75 percent GS. To me CDRW and Lamson need spend more time getting better and with Beck and get more reps in the spring and fall camps. Then early in the season, the staff starting game 1 needs to let QB2 get 1 series each half to get that player ready and adjust to game speed. So if/when GS gets hurt we have a reliable #2.

They had the chance to get him a lot of snaps in the UConn game and they chose not to. Up 41-14 to start the 4th Q, Shrader was still in the game. CDWR entered the game with 6:04 left in the 4th.

Wagner game - Wilson didn't enter until 6 seconds left in the 3rd Q up 56-0. So all he did then was practice his handoffs.

FSU by comparison had their backup QB in our game mid 3rd Q.

Point here is don't expect the #2 and #3 to get any meaningful run next year either.

They had the chance to get him a lot of snaps in the UConn game and they chose not to. Up 41-14 to start the 4th Q, Shrader was still in the game. CDWR entered the game with 6:04 left in the 4th.

Wagner game - Wilson didn't enter until 6 seconds left in the 3rd Q up 56-0.

FSU by comparison had their backup QB in our game mid 3rd Q.

Point here is don't expect the #2 and #3 to get any meaningful run next year either.
Yeah very true and hopefully that is not the same next season. Gotta believe JW talked with Dino about the string of losses and injuries and how important a functional #2 is. Maybe Beck can help influence there now that he is OC.

I like what I saw from Lamson in the spring game but its very different going against backs ups and early enrolled DB's instead of ND and Pitt's front 7. They are loaded with NFL dudes.
granted but he appears to have the right stuff mentally to handle what comes his way. just guessing

granted but he appears to have the right stuff mentally to handle what comes his way. just guessing
Agree. I liked what I saw but all players have flaws. We don't know what his are. I think we all see the potential though.

Interesting, you can tell this by a spring game versus 2nd and 3rd stringers?

He looked like Troy Nunes to me. Whether that is good or bad I don't know. Probably some of both. I don't think Lamson is as big as he listed either but who is.

Until they line up and take snaps in a real game you just never know. Hopefully we don't have to see either Lamson or CRDW until 2024 not sure how likely that is though

Interesting, you can tell this by a spring game versus 2nd and 3rd stringers?

He looked like Troy Nunes to me. Whether that is good or bad I don't know. Probably some of both. I don't think Lamson is as big as he listed either but who is.

Until they line up and take snaps in a real game you just never know. Hopefully we don't have to see either Lamson or CRDW until 2024 not sure how likely that is though
Thanks bro, exactly. I’ll let you take some of the heat on this 100% accurate take.

Garrett will be a late round draft pick if he can get through a season without a meat grinder of his body. He's got alot of Taysom Hill in him. Teams like having the swiss army knife
Garrett doesn't have NFL arm talent. He'll 100% go undrafted. Dungey had a better arm and went undrafted and had better numbers. Unless something completely miraculous happens, Shrader's last snaps in football will be in an Orange uniform. But he is a damn good college ball player, with the potential to be really good if he stays healthy.

Garrett doesn't have NFL arm talent. He'll 100% go undrafted. Dungey had a better arm and went undrafted and had better numbers. Unless something completely miraculous happens, Shrader's last snaps in football will be in an Orange uniform. But he is a damn good college ball player, with the potential to be really good if he stays healthy.
This- if he had a good deep ball he would be in the conversation with guys like Penix (and its beyond me how he is viewed as a first round pick) to get drafted in the second to third tier of Qbs

I don't know that I fully agree with that comparison.

Dungey did not have a "better" arm in terms of arm strength -- but he had better short / intermediate accuracy.

Shrader has a bigger arm, but less accuracy. BUT last year was a big step in the right direction in terms of accuracy [and the national ratings last year reflected that], under the new coaching. Looking forward to what improvements he shows now being in his second season under Beck.

None of which implies that Shrader is an NFL prospect.

Last edited:
If Malik Cunningham can get signed UDFA seconds after the draft closes, so can Shrader. Also let’s not forget there’s never been a better time as a 54th type player; USFL, XFL, CFL, arena leagues etc

Last edited: