Shrader | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader

During the losing streak, this didn’t help us very much. I would have preferred to play the healthy back ups.

And it's groundhog day from 2021 too.

His style of play isn't going to allow him to stay healthy for a 12 game season. We better hope more time with Beck will help CDRW, and that Lamson is back healthy. Would be nice to have a 3rd option if QB1 is hurt and QB2 is ineffective.

During the losing streak, this didn’t help us very much. I would have preferred to play the healthy back ups.
I LOVE that we have the toughest QB in the ACC but Notre Dame specifically there is no way he gave us the best chance to win.

Tough to sit a huge game but looking back I think it would have benefitted us that day and the rest of the season if CDRW played 60.

I LOVE that we have the toughest QB in the ACC but Notre Dame specifically there is no way he gave us the best chance to win.

Tough to sit a huge game but looking back I think it would have benefitted us that day and the rest of the season if CDRW played 60.
Hard to say. It did Devito no favors playing against ND when Dungey had to come out.

So here is the thing with CDRW. None of us know how game ready he was or wasn't. Everyone on the coaching staff and the team wants to win and to me the coaches have all the information. I don't believe one iota that CDRW was held out for some bs reason. Either CDRW was thought able to contribute or not. No matter what anyone here says, the coaches make the call. To me based on the decisions made, was that a 100 percent CDRW was not better than a 75 percent GS. To me CDRW and Lamson need spend more time getting better and with Beck and get more reps in the spring and fall camps. Then early in the season, the staff starting game 1 needs to let QB2 get 1 series each half to get that player ready and adjust to game speed. So if/when GS gets hurt we have a reliable #2.

Didn't CDRW get to SU in the fall? He had a lot of catching up to do and learning on the fly. We'll see how he does from here having more time in the system.
Yeah agreed. He definitely needed time for the playbook. He definitely is talented. He just needs to have things slow down on the field for him and that comes with knowledge, maturity, reps and practice in his off time. The additional off season, spring and summer will also give him time to build relationships on the team. Being in sync and friends with teammates helps as well. I remember a few times in the Pitt game he was clearly and visibly angry. When you develop friendships and camaraderie, that energy comes across better as well.

I think people are too down on CDRW, due to his performance in the Pitt game.

I'm willing to guess that after a full season / spring practice, he'll master the playbook and look much sharper next year.

Pitt has made a few of the SU QB's look bad of late and I agree, he has the potential to be very good. Arm wise, he really reminds me of Nassib and hope he learns to have a better touch than Ryan..

I'm willing to guess that after a full season / spring practice, he'll master the playbook and look much sharper next year.
The kid only had a few weeks with the team in the fall
Hes a huge talent. Lets see how he does this coming fall.

Going into 2023, I think we are in good shape in the QB room.

I agree.

Given our history with starting QBs, and what has happened to Garrett to date, we should expect him to get hurt at some point during the season.

I think (fingers crossed) that we will be better positioned in the event Garrett does get hurt. Last year, Lamson was the clear #2 and when he went down, our depth took a huge hit. As other have mentioned, CDRW is talented but when he got on the field for SU, he had only been with the program a couple of months. He wasn’t ready. No one is going to be with that little exposure to a new system.

I am thinking Lamson and CDRW will have the talent and the experience and exposure to the system to be a lot more effective than our backups were last year. I think the staff would gone played a backup for a couple of weeks and given Garrett a chance to get back to 100% if they had a capable backup available. Hoping 2023 will be the year if Garrett gets banged up, we can move our second string QB In and still have an effective offense.

Everyone is ignoring JaCobian Morgan but history says even lightly recruited QBs have a way of becoming factors when they get a lot of experience. This will be his 4th year at Syracuse and I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes out of nowhere to be a hero at some point in the next year or two. Believe it or not, he is only going to be a sophomore in 2023.

Very interested to see if we replace LaNorris with another QB that arrives in the fall. I assume if we tried once, we will probably do it again sometime this spring. There will always be good QBs looking for a new school once they lose a battle for a starting position in spring ball. Much like what happened with CDRW last spring. WIth Garrett being a rising senior, I would think Syracuse would be a destination of high interest to kids who want to play ASAP.

I thought his potential was clearly there, had no idea what everyone (almost everyone) was crapping on him. He made some incredible throws; including one off balance, almost flicking his wrist, across his body and a tight spiral 20-30 yards to the sideline with the WR being tightly covered.

Now he may end up being more jay cutler but anyone thinking the potential isn’t there doesn’t know what they’re watching. Guy came in with almost no practice time and played pretty well IMO and let’s not forget behind a below avg OL, 1 WR, and a RB that was a shell of himself at that point.

I thought his potential was clearly there, had no idea what everyone (almost everyone) was crapping on him. He made some incredible throws; including one off balance, almost flicking his wrist, across his body and a tight spiral 20-30 yards to the sideline with the WR being tightly covered.

Now he may end up being more jay cutler but anyone thinking the potential isn’t there doesn’t know what they’re watching. Guy came in with almost no practice time and played pretty well IMO and let’s not forget behind a below avg OL, 1 WR, and a RB that was a shell of himself at that point.
I dont think ive ever seen better arm talent on the hill. He can make every throw effortlessly.
Lamson also throws a nice ball. We are in very good shape.

Very interested to see if we replace LaNorris with another QB that arrives in the fall. I assume if we tried once, we will probably do it again sometime this spring. There will always be good QBs looking for a new school once they lose a battle for a starting position in spring ball. Much like what happened with CDRW last spring. WIth Garrett being a rising senior, I would think Syracuse would be a destination of high interest to kids who want to play ASAP.
If the QB is worth absolutely but as you wrote, SU's covered 4 deep and I'm glad they aren't desperate and trying to just have another body called QB like they did with that young man that was a Pitt offer at one time who never saw the field.

I think too many people are sleeping on Lamson. Dude has every chance to step into the #2 slot
I really like Lamson as well. My moneys on him winning the job once GS moves on.

I really like Lamson as well. My moneys on him winning the job once GS moves on.

He's a talented young man and I really like what we saw in the Spring game. I hope the knee is at 100% by then.

Agreed. If he played like he did against, say Notre Dame [not implying that he wasn't mistake free in that game], during the Pitt game, everyone would sing a different tune.

Hope you’re right, because in that Pitt game he was bad bad bad, leading me to think in the opposite direction. Gonna take your glass half full approach until proven otherwise.

Agreed. If he played like he did against, say Notre Dame [not implying that he wasn't mistake free in that game], during the Pitt game, everyone would sing a different tune.
Completely agree but at least from my standpoint no one I have seen has said he is not talented. I think it's learning the playbook, getting reps, working with Beck, getting tight with the team and at some point everything will slow down. Transparently my different opinion is with some saying that CDRW is already better than GS. To me it's not even close based on what has been seen to date. CDRW seemingly has a stronger arm and brings plus quickness but that's it at this juncture and we saw in the Pitt game he doesn't have control yet of those two attributes. That's ok though, he will get better. If GS and CDRW both joined Syracuse as freshman I think it could easily be a pickem but that's not the situation (not saying you are saying that either). Hands down GS healthy is much better at this stage and GS is getting better as well. I see more people bashing GS on this board than CDRW. I think it's also a great problem to have. If one of the backsups plays great if GS goes down that is great.

Then early in the season, the staff starting game 1 needs to let QB2 get 1 series each half to get that player ready and adjust to game speed. So if/when GS gets hurt we have a reliable #2.
Ahhh, the Doug Marone plan.
It worked well for Ryan Nassib.

lamson--- he is my choice ---confident and appeared very mature for a freshman---per spring game

I doubt anybody is going to mistake our oline for Georgia's.
But if we could roll our QBs out once in a while/move the pocket,
it could increase their longevity...