Shredder Missing Spring Ball | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shredder Missing Spring Ball

That is getting personal, don’t you think?
190830161605-tennis-ball-design-tease-super-169.jpg

Um, maybe?

I have no inside info, but if his throwing arm was injured during the season I sure as heck hope he would have had surgery before February.

Total guess, but sometimes with things like bone chips in the elbow, you see pitchers try to work through it, and if they can't get comfortable after rehab, they get it scoped out. Hopefully it wasn't anything major, and they thought he might rehab his way out of the injury, but it didn't improve enough.

Think most are bullish because he looked good in last year's spring game when all other QB options did not. CDRW certainly has the tools and the bigger recruiting profile but that doesn't diminish what we'd seen and heard of Lamson prior to his injury. One being good does not exclude the other from as well. Hopefully both excel for the sake of the program.

Yeah, Lamson threw some very good passes, including a couple impressive deep balls in that spring game.

He also showed to be a quick, elusive runner. If he doesn't get injured I'm honestly not certain we move to add CDRW.

Absolutely. CDRW is a good addition to the QB room, but if Lamson doesn’t get injured during the last week of spring ball last year I don’t think we go after CDRW at all.

Some may say CDRW was brought in to fill in for Villari after it was determined Villari wasn’t going to help at QB, but I don’t think we bring in another 2021 QB if Lamson is healthy. Stacking players at the same position with the same eligibility only serves to push one player out in today’s world of college football. If someone doesn’t transfer it creates a bubble in recruiting (needing too many players at a single position in a single recruiting cycle).

Assuming everyone stays healthy, the QB depth chart going into fall camp will be 1) Shrader, 2) Lamson, 3) CDRW. At the very least Lamson and CDRW will both be listed as the #2 (Lamson or CDRW). There’s no way the coaches risk losing Lamson to the portal by naming him #3 unless Lamson’s knee doesn’t respond and the coaches come to believe he’s expendable. At this point he’s not expendable. JMO

He also showed to be a quick, elusive runner. If he doesn't get injured I'm honestly not certain we move to add CDRW.

I think they ought to split reps 50/50 if Shrader is going to miss the spring. That gives us the best chance of both of them being somewhat game ready if Shrader gets hurt.

We need Garrett 150% healthy for the season for us to do anything. he's got the necessary moxy to will us to 5-6 wins. He should be hermetically sealed till August anyway. I doubt he needs a spring practice anyway. Allow the backups to get the reps.

Garrett shouldn’t take his 1st hit until our first game. Put his arm on a pitch count and don’t exceed it except for game action. We need a competent backup so if GS is less than 80% he sits. Enough of playing GS when he is 50%.

If memory serves, we grabbed Lamson when we lost Leonard to Duke. I would be ecstatic if Justin comes close to that type of production for us, at a point in the future.

We were at the NYS Fairgrounds for the Home & Garden Show. One of the exhibitors had Shrader at their booth for a couple hours. My wife had her photo taken with him, and said the contraption on his elbow looks awful. But that he was in good spirits and was nice to the people there.

Total guess, but sometimes with things like bone chips in the elbow, you see pitchers try to work through it, and if they can't get comfortable after rehab, they get it scoped out. Hopefully it wasn't anything major, and they thought he might rehab his way out of the injury, but it didn't improve enough.
I thought I'd take IthacaMatt's thinking a bit further and try to explain the procedure he may have had. He's been immobilized with the soft cast so they are being careful.

Just guessing, but this may be what Garrett had in the surgery on an out - patient basis. If he was experiencing range of motion problems, pain from bone spurs and other problems from over use. Only his surgeon knows what he saw when he inserted the scope and had to remove spurs bone fragments or repair.

This will help him in his throwing motion and facilitate a better throw through smoother delivery. The big question is, when will he be allowed to begin rehab and gradually begin to toss the ball.

I believe this will take longer than him coming back by fall practice and finally when he does, he has to get used to throwing with a repaired elbow and it may be that Lamson will be the starter for some time as some have suggested.

When Is Elbow Arthroscopy Recommended?

Injury, overuse, and age-related wear and tear are responsible for most elbow problems. Elbow arthroscopy may relieve painful symptoms of many problems that damage the cartilage surfaces and other soft tissues surrounding the joint. Elbow arthroscopy may also be recommended to remove loose pieces of bone and cartilage, or release scar tissue that is blocking motion.

Common arthroscopic procedures include:

Treatment of tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)

Removal of loose bodies (loose cartilage and bone fragments)

Release of scar tissue to improve range of motion

Treatment of osteoarthritis (wear and tear arthritis)

Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (inflammatory arthritis)

Treatment of osteochondritis dissecans (activity related damage to the capitellum portion of the humerus seen in throwers or gymnasts)

Treatment of fractures

Because patients have varied elbow conditions, complete recovery time is different for everyone.

If you have had a minor repair, you may not need a splint and your range of motion and function may return after a short period of rehabilitation. You may be able to return to work or school within a few days of your procedure.

It takes longer to recover from more complicated procedures. Although the incisions are small in arthroscopy, extensive damage within the joint can be repaired with the procedure. Full recovery may take several months. Although it can be a slow process, following your surgeon's guidelines and rehabilitation plan is vital to a successful outcome.

Were people suggesting he won't be ready for the fall? I don't remember reading that. Maybe it will take that long, hopefully not. But I don't see how you can guess it will take that long to recover without knowing exactly what was done with his procedure.

Last edited:
Were people suggesting he won't be ready for the fall? I don't remember reading that. Maybe it will take that long, hopefully not. But I don't see how you can guess it will take that long to recover without knowing exactly what was done with his procedure.

If it was a simple arthroscopy, which I had done to my left knee by a NYC sports doctor for the Islanders when I was still young, the recovery period was a couple months. That would equal missing spring practice.

If some are saying that he might not be ready by the fall, then that typically would indicate that they were trimming frayed cartilidge, tendons or ligaments, not just cleaning out bone spurs / chips. Frayed edges of those can turn into greater tears. It's like a weak spot in the fiber being taken away.

If it was a simple arthroscopy, which I had done to my left knee by a NYC sports doctor for the Islanders when I was still young, the recovery period was a couple months. That would equal missing spring practice.

If some are saying that he might not be ready by the fall, then that typically would indicate that they were trimming frayed cartilidge, tendons or ligaments, not just cleaning out bone spurs / chips. Frayed edges of those can turn into greater tears. It's like a weak spot in the fiber being taken away.
He wouldn't be in a range of motion brace with hand set in a pronate position just for an elbow scope. Guessing a tear which seems making it back for opening day pretty surprising. Hopefully I'm wrong

Last edited:
He wouldn't be in a range of motion brace with hand set in a pronation position wouldn’t just for an elbow scope. Guessing a tear which seems making it back for opening day pretty surprising. Hopefully I'm wrong

Good info. Thank you.

He wouldn't be in a range of motion brace with hand set in a pronation position wouldn’t just for an elbow scope. Guessing a tear which seems making it back for opening day pretty surprising. Hopefully I'm wrong
The way Dino framed it, it seemed like it was a good-to-have, not a necessity. Hopefully, that means it won't impact Summer Shredder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom