Shredder Missing Spring Ball | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shredder Missing Spring Ball

The way Dino framed it, it seemed like it was a good-to-have, not a necessity. Hopefully, that means it won't impact Summer Shredder.

Let's hope he's right!

The way Dino framed it, it seemed like it was a good-to-have, not a necessity. Hopefully, that means it won't impact Summer Shredder.
Yeah. He made it sound like the surgery should just be sacrificing 15 spring practices or something to that effect for a possibly healthier Shrader. Sure hope that is the case.

I had a student who just had that robo-arm contraption removed yesterday. He's had it on for about 6 weeks. He had tendon surgery in his elbow. Even though he's out of it, he's not cleared for sports or PE.

I had a student who just had that robo-arm contraption removed yesterday. He's had it on for about 6 weeks. He had tendon surgery in his elbow. Even though he's out of it, he's not cleared for sports or PE.
Shredder likely had done whatever he had done 4 weeks ago. This might be an interesting comparison point.

I had a student who just had that robo-arm contraption removed yesterday. He's had it on for about 6 weeks. He had tendon surgery in his elbow. Even though he's out of it, he's not cleared for sports or
I work in medical sales working with these DME contraptions (LoL) on a daily basis. I really hope it’s over precaution but I was pretty alarmed seeing him in such a brace for an elective surgery.

I know Garrett had elbow tendinitis the spring he transferred here. The staff attributed it to him not throwing for a long time after changing positions.

Since then, there have been mentions of a lingering problem with the elbow over the past two years. Looks like it comes and goes.

I believe the surgery was done to address this issue and hopefully make it go away. Or at least reduce the problem.

From what I have read, recovery of s straightforward and he will be ready well before preseason camp. You need to keep the elbow from being used for a few weeks and maybe the doctors opted for the robo thingee to ensure Garrett doesn’t try to rehab too early. He strikes me as a guy who is really impatient and might try and push the boundaries of recovery procedures to get back to normal ASAP.

This explanation seems to fit the clues best as far as I can tell. Hoping some medical professionals can weigh in on this.

I know Garrett had elbow tendinitis the spring he transferred here. The staff attributed it to him not throwing for a long time after changing positions.

Since then, there have been mentions of a lingering problem with the elbow over the past two years. Looks like it comes and goes.

I believe the surgery was done to address this issue and hopefully make it go away. Or at least reduce the problem.

From what I have read, recovery of s straightforward and he will be ready well before preseason camp. You need to keep the elbow from being used for a few weeks and maybe the doctors opted for the robo thingee to ensure Garrett doesn’t try to rehab too early. He strikes me as a guy who is really impatient and might try and push the boundaries of recovery procedures to get back to normal ASAP.

This explanation seems to fit the clues best as far as I can tell. Hoping some medical professionals can weigh in on this.
Thanks for the info Tom

Is he still able to fly a plane? I don’t know if anybody is aware, but Shrader has a pilot license.
Wait, seriously? How was this not mentioned on every single broadcast? Any idea if Dino would be comfortable playing with him?

Exactly, as someone who taught orthopedics for 30 years, treats these elbow ailments of all types including post surgically, etc. blah blah blah…..

Anyway, short of major trauma and/or one traumatic throw injury, there’s almost no wear and tear type problem to this joint (which is what this is most likely is some type of musculotendonous deal), that will end or ruin a football career.

Even if it’s ligamentous, short of a total tear if there was one we did not hear about/know about, or significant enough damage over time to what is known as the ulnar collateral ligament ala a Tommy John deal needed (unlikely)…..but even it is…..

So yeah Educated opinion here, he’ll be as good, if not better than ever and completely 100% healed and rehabbed by early summer and more than ready to go by fall. These new looking structural supports are still just that, supports, that though they look fancy/advanced etc to limit motion in a healing joint until ready for more active rehab, there’s nothing about them from which to infer much from.

There’s lots to worry about in life and specifically with our love of SU sports here, this is not and should not be one of those things.

Think we are going to see big things from him this fall.

Last edited:
Exactly, as someone who taught orthopedics for 30 years, treats these elbow ailments of all types including post surgically, etc. blah blah blah…..

Anyway, short of major trauma and/or one traumatic throw injury, there’s almost no wear and tear type problem to this joint (which is what this is most likely is some type of musculotendonous deal), that will end or ruin a career.

Even if it’s ligamentous, short of a total tear if there was one we did not hear about/know about, or significant enough damage over time to what is known as the collateral ligament ala a Tommy John deal needed (unlikely)…..but even it is…..

So yeah Educated opinion here, he’ll be as good, if not better than ever and completely 100% healed and rehabbed by early summer and more than ready to go by fall.

There’s lots to worry about in life and specifically with our love of SU sports here, this is not and should not be one of those things.

Think we are going to see big things from him this fall.
Just curious and not at all implying this relates to Shrader. Questions of elbow surgery made this pop into my mind.

A traumatic injury to the UCL that would require Tommy John surgery - is that mostly baseball specific because of the torque required of pitchers? Or can it happen in other sports?

Just curious and not at all implying this relates to Shrader. Questions of elbow surgery made this pop into my mind.

A traumatic injury to the UCL that would require Tommy John surgery - is that mostly baseball specific because of the torque required of pitchers? Or can it happen in other sports?
Josh Allen played with a UCL for most of last season. His was more of a strain. Not a tear.

Can happen with anything, does happen with greater frequency (by far) with baseball with, exactly, the greater torque required with curveballs and sliders.

My cousin was a Red Sox prospect and had it done. It did negatively effect his career as In that sport it matters more if post surgery they lose a few mph and/or can’t handle the torque stress those pitches require, here the impact with this sport is negligible if any at all.

Unless Shrader starts throwing to the right and hopes it curves left or vice versa……
;):)

Can happen anywhere. This is the injury Brock Purdy suffered in the NFC championship game. He's since had surgery and is expected to be back before the season starts.

Welp, two thoughts.

1, here's hoping he makes a nice recovery and this helps with his throws.

2, absolutely zero excuse to not essentially have a QB1b if all them dudes gonna get all them snaps.

This.

I hope for the best with Shredder, but given his injury history and the way he plays, I would be very surprised if he makes it a full season without going down due to another major injury.

Not being overly pessimistic, just a realist.

Can happen anywhere. This is the injury Brock Purdy suffered in the NFC championship game. He's since had surgery and is expected to be back before the season starts.
That was not due to normal throwing though, I believe his hand or forearm was hit while throwing. If I remember that right.

Update of Garrett Shrader and his surgery:

The brace on his wrist is now off.

What kind of surgery requires a full arm brace for a week or two and a wrist brace for a week or two?

I know we have people in the board who know this stuff. What was the procedure done on Garrett?

At any rate. It sounds like he is going to be 100% for preseason camp….

Update of Garrett Shrader and his surgery:

The brace on his wrist is now off.

What kind of surgery requires a full arm brace for a week or two and a wrist brace for a week or two?

I know we have people in the board who know this stuff. What was the procedure done on Garrett?

At any rate. It sounds like he is going to be 100% for preseason camp….
I don't know exactly, but, my Six Million Dollar Man action figure in the 70s has forearm skin that peeled back to reveal bionics, so maybe it's like that.

I don't know exactly, but, my Six Million Dollar Man action figure in the 70s has forearm skin that peeled back to reveal bionics, so maybe it's like that.
Probably got a steel rod installed

I remember this. I was being sarcastic in my previous post.
If I remember correctly a different version was shown on the ACC network. That was the one I was looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom