Shredder Missing Spring Ball | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shredder Missing Spring Ball

Yeah, but on the opposite side of the coin, are we over-valuing CDRW because he was initially enrolled at an SEC school?

I don't think so as much, I think we have seen some real upside with some nice playmaking he showed versus ND in a very tough spot and then we saw that there is still a ton of work to do when he started versus Pitt. We put him in a very tough spot and didn't do much to help him. His arm is really really strong

Just my opinion here obviously but I don't think Lamson has a huge upside. I think his ceiling is competent back up, very average P5 starter. Having seen him up close I don't think he is anywhere near big as listed either. He was a lightly recruited player from a smaller school in California. Coming off the knee injury I have no idea what to expect. I know some like the Dungey comparison but just don't see it.

That said, I don't think either of the two back ups has any chance of replacing a healthy Shrader. No chance. That opinion I feel pretty confident in. When Shrader leaves who knows who will replace him but time for that to play out

Last edited:
I want Lamson and Del Rio to really battle and show Shrader that his job isn't safe.
That should happen anyway, be it GS is healthy or not. It will be great for the team and QB room for both guys and Morgan to rotate reps. Morgan should be in this discussion as well. Edit Morgan is 6'4 229.

Shrader's job is about as safe as any job out there, can't see that happening.
Agreed. I still want them competing, all three of them but agree when GS is healthy and you look at his incremental gains year to year and you expect further gains by him this year it's solely his job. Though I said before this upcoming season we need to get whomever is QB2 some early season in game reps. Critical given GS style of play.

I don't think so as much, I think we have seen some real upside with some nice playmaking he showed versus ND in a very tough spot and then we saw that there is still a ton of work to do when he started versus Pitt. We put him in a very tough spot and didn't do much to help him. His arm is really really strong

Just my opinion here obviously but I don't think Lamson has a huge upside. I think his ceiling is competent back up, very average P5 starter. Having seen him up close I don't think he is anywhere near big as listed either. He was a lightly recruited player from a smaller school in California. Coming off the knee injury I have no idea what to expect. I know some like the Dungey comparison but just don't see it.

That said, I don't think either of the two back ups has any chance of replacing a healthy Shrader. No chance. That opinion I feel pretty confident in. When Shrader leaves who knows who will replace him but time for that to play out
To be clear, I don't have a horse in the race and just want a competent backup.

Just seemed like a question worth posing.

Wilson has a live arm and makes things happen. I saw a kid who's a gunslinger and that's also one of his downsides. He takes a lot of chances trying to make plays but I chalk that up to his youth. He's almost too amped up. If the game slows down for him I think he's the guy long term.

I liked how he steps up into the pocket and always kept his eyes downfield looking to make a play. One of his best plays I thought was when he scrambled and made a beautiful 20 yard pass down field on the run. The result was that he was over the LOS even though he wasn't. But that play is who he is.

Last edited:
View attachment 225485I’m encouraged that everyone seems to have confidence in both CDRW and Lamson, but Garret Shrader is not an easily replaceable type of player. Neither of them would be able to perform like he does imo.
I'm not sure anyone here disagrees with you on the importance of having Garrett. I think everyone is confident in Garrett's play to the point where they are not concerned he's missing spring ball. Assuming he gets healthy, I think people may think it it could be more beneficial to get additional reps to the younger guys who have potential but we are less confident about them playing immediately. Both because there is a good chance they may be needed this coming season and because it may help our future success.

We need Garrett 150% healthy for the season for us to do anything. he's got the necessary moxy to will us to 5-6 wins. He should be hermetically sealed till August anyway. I doubt he needs a spring practice anyway. Allow the backups to get the reps.

View attachment 225485I’m encouraged that everyone seems to have confidence in both CDRW and Lamson, but Garret Shrader is not an easily replaceable type of player. Neither of them would be able to perform like he does imo.
I think Lamson may be able to throw like him but he won’t run as well. I think crew can run but waiting on his throwing ability

Take this for what you will, but word is the surgery went great and Shrader's other issues have been resolved. He's expected to be in the best shape ever this coming season.

So, he's had a "lock-on OG"-ectomy performed? ;)

kidding, not kidding.

Here's hoping that Shredder works with Beck all the damn time on the reads and mental aspects of the QB game, since he's gonna be sidelined from the physical parts of it for a bit.
(And physically he should be good to go by the Fall)

That was really his Achilles heel last season, either locking on to OG no matter what, and/or not looking to the other WR's often enough -
and on more than one occasion another dude was running WIDE OPEN thru the opponent's secondary, and had GS seen that, it woulda been an easy 6 each time.

It'd be great if Lamson and CDRW have a battle royale for QB2 position, so we know that whomever wins is more than capable, AND the next guy behind him is solid also.

So, he's had a "lock-on OG"-ectomy performed? ;)

kidding, not kidding.

Here's hoping that Shredder works with Beck all the damn time on the reads and mental aspects of the QB game, since he's gonna be sidelined from the physical parts of it for a bit.
(And physically he should be good to go by the Fall)

That was really his Achilles heel last season, either locking on to OG no matter what, and/or not looking to the other WR's often enough -
and on more than one occasion another dude was running WIDE OPEN thru the opponent's secondary, and had GS seen that, it woulda been an easy 6 each time.

It'd be great if Lamson and CDRW have a battle royale for QB2 position, so we know that whomever wins is more than capable, AND the next guy behind him is solid also.
Yea, if I'm Shrader, I follow Beck everywhere...

Wishing Garrett all the best and a speedy recovery. The engine of the offense, we're thinking about you!!

What will be interesting/telling is if any offers go out to transfer QBs when the portal reopens on April 15th.
Yes, that will be telling. It will give us a sense of what the staff feels they have.

I agree and CDRW's performance against Pitt was wildly reminiscent of TD's 2018 Notre Dame performance. Both were like a deer in the headlights.
When judging CDRW's performance against Notre Dame I think its good to also put into context with what Shrader did in the same game. Though Shrader was playing banged up I think its still pertinent. Doesn't look all that bad in that context.
1677607814671.png

1677607775929.png

IMO, Lamson does not have anywhere near the ceiling that CDRW has. The only reason people are bullish on Lamson is because he has never seen real game snaps so they think he has a high ceiling!! CDRW was a 4 star SEC recruit from a huge program out of Georgia and has all the tools, whether they come together or not is a huge question but his ceiling is much much higher than Lamson. Lamson coming off a major knee injury as well.

We shall see

Think most are bullish because he looked good in last year's spring game when all other QB options did not. CDRW certainly has the tools and the bigger recruiting profile but that doesn't diminish what we'd seen and heard of Lamson prior to his injury. One being good does not exclude the other from as well. Hopefully both excel for the sake of the program.

Agreed. I still want them competing, all three of them but agree when GS is healthy and you look at his incremental gains year to year and you expect further gains by him this year it's solely his job. Though I said before this upcoming season we need to get whomever is QB2 some early season in game reps. Critical given GS style of play.

agree 100%, Odds are you going to need QB2 to win a game or two at some point during the season.

OK so I see the 247 article update from 5 hrs ago now says the surgery was for his shoulder.

When judging CDRW's performance against Notre Dame I think its good to also put into context with what Shrader did in the same game. Though Shrader was playing banged up I think its still pertinent. Doesn't look all that bad in that context.
View attachment 225494
View attachment 225493
GS should have never even dressed for that ND game...period. Really poor coaching decision.
Btw, I was comparing CDRW's Pitt performance to TD's 2018 ND performance. All things considered, I think CDRW performed fairly well in relief vs ND.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom