Shy Ineligible | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shy Ineligible

This is crushing. I loved watching Shy play and I loved his story. I’m really rooting for him to figure this back out and rush out on to that field next season.

This is a situation where you wish there was just one little thing you could do to help this kid out. Sadly there is not and this will be a blow to the team for sure.

I really hope this plays out okay for him.

Ohana. Shy is going to get his grades in order. He is getting his scholarship back. He is going to win a starting position at linebacker. And he is going to be a captain and lead the team to a great season.

Believe it. It is going to happen.
We need this to happen and so does he. Wish the best for this kid and parents. We need him.

Can he change to a different school within the university having less stringent requirements and then change back to that major once grades are back

First let me start by saying thank you for the support. The response here and online has been overwhelming. I have relayed to Shy your thoughts and prayers for him. He is very upset at the moment. His journey at Syracuse has been quite a roller coaster from his recruitment and coaching changes to redshirting and limited play time up to a great end of playing this season.
Next I would like to say the answers I give and info I share are to the best of my knowledge getting information about what is going on and choices he has to make are far more challenging than you could ever understand. Colleges and coaches have a funny way of not speaking to parents after your children become adults.
To answer some questions I saw... I don’t think transferring in school is an option. I read about it and am not sure how it works but I believe his standing with the university prevents it. I could be wrong but I would hope if that was an option the school would have brought it up or his advisors would have when they were working thru his appeal.
I don’t know if shy would have been invited back for his 5th year it never got to that point.
As far as the future... ideally shy will complete his classes at home get grades good enough to lift his suspension and he could rejoin the team in the summer. First I will say the coaches can not hold his scholarship and We completely understand that. Second if there is no scholarship available they can not give him one. Another option as after shy completes the 2 classes at home would be to pay to return to school finish his last class he needs for his degree and walk on the team. But getting a loan for the 50k it would cost may be problematic.
Another thing we can look at is transferring. It is near impossible to get answers on how to or if a suspended player can play before his previous school suspension is lifted. I am calling the ncaa today again to try and get this figured out. He isn’t a grad transfer so he would have to sit or drop to a lower division. Shy does not wish to sit a year and is don’t blame him.
Third is he rolls the dice and apply for early entry to the nfl draft. He would lose his eligibility for his last year as soon as he does that. To be honest this is another impossible to get answers or advice on. I didnt even know you had to apply to leave early. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how to apply. All I know is the application has to be to the nfl in 3 days. If he were to figure that out and apply and be excepted we have to figure out if the staff will let him participate in a pro day at the school. I am sure shy will impress at a pro day and we will hope he gets a camp offer.
His limited play time Besides special teams makes this the worst choice obviously but one that has to be looked at for his dream to come true.
If any thing changes or any news about what he is doing comes up I will update you as I can.
Again thank you all

First let me start by saying thank you for the support. The response here and online has been overwhelming. I have relayed to Shy your thoughts and prayers for him. He is very upset at the moment. His journey at Syracuse has been quite a roller coaster from his recruitment and coaching changes to redshirting and limited play time up to a great end of playing this season.
Next I would like to say the answers I give and info I share are to the best of my knowledge getting information about what is going on and choices he has to make are far more challenging than you could ever understand. Colleges and coaches have a funny way of not speaking to parents after your children become adults.
To answer some questions I saw... I don’t think transferring in school is an option. I read about it and am not sure how it works but I believe his standing with the university prevents it. I could be wrong but I would hope if that was an option the school would have brought it up or his advisors would have when they were working thru his appeal.
I don’t know if shy would have been invited back for his 5th year it never got to that point.
As far as the future... ideally shy will complete his classes at home get grades good enough to lift his suspension and he could rejoin the team in the summer. First I will say the coaches can not hold his scholarship and We completely understand that. Second if there is no scholarship available they can not give him one. Another option as after shy completes the 2 classes at home would be to pay to return to school finish his last class he needs for his degree and walk on the team. But getting a loan for the 50k it would cost may be problematic.
Another thing we can look at is transferring. It is near impossible to get answers on how to or if a suspended player can play before his previous school suspension is lifted. I am calling the ncaa today again to try and get this figured out. He isn’t a grad transfer so he would have to sit or drop to a lower division. Shy does not wish to sit a year and is don’t blame him.
Third is he rolls the dice and apply for early entry to the nfl draft. He would lose his eligibility for his last year as soon as he does that. To be honest this is another impossible to get answers or advice on. I didnt even know you had to apply to leave early. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how to apply. All I know is the application has to be to the nfl in 3 days. If he were to figure that out and apply and be excepted we have to figure out if the staff will let him participate in a pro day at the school. I am sure shy will impress at a pro day and we will hope he gets a camp offer.
His limited play time Besides special teams makes this the worst choice obviously but one that has to be looked at for his dream to come true.
If any thing changes or any news about what he is doing comes up I will update you as I can.
Again thank you all

All the best while you go through these difficult decisions. I’m sure Shy will make the right one. Selfishly I hope he knocks off those courses, gets back in school and on the field. We need him next fall. Good luck!

Again thank you all

Hey Bam, I just read the article on Shy's journey because it was a link in the Academic story...

His journey is something that I cannot begin to fathom...

I am attaching a link of the probation-suspension-readmissions process...

Although likely you have already gone down this road, if you haven't I would appeal...I would assume that Shy's trial term was last semester..that is rough...the time commitment required by a major D1 football program is enormous and to have the trial term coincide with football's regular and bowl season is a very difficult ask...combine that with Shy's learning disability and perhaps there is a reasonable case for an exception...he can certainly focus on his academics this Spring in a way that is simply not possible during the season...

Falk probation-suspension-readmission

On a purely personal note, I know Shy has his heart set on the NFL...I hope that dream comes to fruition but for you to be able to witness him twirl that tassel from left to right will indicate the successful completion of a journey fraught with challenges that most of us cannot begin to comprehend...that degree will give him the foundation he needs for that post-pigskin world, whenever that happens...

Good luck to him...

Last edited:

It sounds crazy to me that you can't contact our staff directly and ask them the advice you're seeking. If it's that hard maybe give Scott Schafer a call. He'd help you with advice no?

Whatever happens Bam, good luck to you and Shy. You've been nothing but a class act and I appreciate you being a great member and fan. Please continue to be a part of our community here.

I'll be rooting hard for Shy no matter where his path leads. cheers!

Why are the coaches and parents not talking to each other especially about school stuff which is a little important. Don’t the advisors tell parents kid may be needing certain help or anything. Absolutely kills me.

What a terrible situation. I hope Shy can get it all worked out and can return next season. If for no other reason than to get him another year of PT (likely as a starter) to build his body of work for the next level. I have no doubt he can make it at that level, but having to come out this year will make it really tough to get a shot.

Also, Forza Azzurri gives VERY good advice about appealing. Especially with Shy having a LD, there is the base foundation for a good potential of success. Sometimes the University isn't very good about giving you ALL of the options available to you. It's not generally malicious, it's just that most of the time it's paperwork from people that just deal with paperwork. Contact them via the link provided and appeal. It actually gives very good advice about how to do it and what you should include in the appeal.

Good luck to you and to Shy no matter how it works out. I'll be rooting for him.

If he is able to come back, this will hurt him at LB. There are some rising, promising players at this position and those reps lost at practice will not be made up in the weight room.

He's a great story and committed young man. Great on special teams. Everyone is better if he's able to make it back, but if not, next man up.

Hope Shy makes it back - don’t think the lack of reps for a Rs-Sr will hold him back. Consider that Dungey missed last Spring, allowing Devito to step in. The silver lining is that the rising LBs will get more Spring reps. Better competition, more depth.

The most important thing is thing is for the young man to get his degree period.

We're here to help.

As far as what would transfer into Syracuse and taking classes at home, just make sure to get everything in writing (email is fine).

Why are the coaches and parents not talking to each other especially about school stuff which is a little important. Don’t the advisors tell parents kid may be needing certain help or anything. Absolutely kills me.

This is an impossible call to make without knowing all the details (and, frankly, I don't want to know all the details - it is none of my business)...athletes do get a lot of academic support.

These are delicate and gray areas...how much can the football program get involved once it becomes a matter of formal academic deficiency? No idea...there is a potential perception issue if athlete seen to be given special treatment relative to rest of student body (ie. school just wants to keep athlete eligible) and, given what happened on hoops side, I bet there is a special sensitivity there...

I don't think it is fair to skewer the school (or anybody else for that matter) without knowing all the facts...

This is an impossible call to make without knowing all the details (and, frankly, I don't want to know all the details - it is none of my business)...athletes do get a lot of academic support.

These are delicate and gray areas...how much can the football program get involved once it becomes a matter of formal academic deficiency? No idea...there is a potential perception issue if athlete seen to be given special treatment relative to rest of student body (ie. school just wants to keep athlete eligible) and, given what happened on hoops side, I bet there is a special sensitivity there...

I don't think it is fair to skewer the school (or anybody else for that matter) without knowing all the facts...
not to mention that the players are not "kids" in the legal and technical sense of the word. Particularly for the upperclassmen, they are 21, sometimes 22 years old.

If a student on an academic scholarship starts enjoying the party scene a little too much and the grades start slipping, the school does not contact the parents about academic performance. It isn't high school, and there are educational privacy laws.

Hey Bam, I just read the article on Shy's journey because it was a link in the Academic story...

His journey is something that I cannot begin to fathom...

I am attaching a link of the probation-suspension-readmissions process...

Although likely you have already gone down this road, if you haven't I would appeal...I would assume that Shy's trial term was last semester..that is rough...the time commitment required by a major D1 football program is enormous and to have the trial term coincide with football's regular and bowl season is a very difficult ask...combine that with Shy's learning disability and perhaps there is a reasonable case for an exception...he can certainly focus on his academics this Spring in a way that is simply not possible during the season...

Falk probation-suspension-readmission

On a purely personal note, I know Shy has his heart set on the NFL...I hope that dream comes to fruition but for you to be able to witness him twirl that tassel from left to right will indicate the successful completion of a journey fraught with challenges that most of us cannot begin to comprehend...that degree will give him the foundation he needs for that post-pigskin world, whenever that happens...

Good luck to him...

Good advice. I've got a little experience with this matter and that's exactly what I would recommend. And should an appeal fail, get into a community college, make sure SU will accept the transfer credits, and work your a-- off. I once heard a professor say, after someone questioned the quality of education at community colleges, "An A is an A everywhere, but a C at a community college is an F at a top-level university."

Crappy situation, feel terrible for Shy and fam, but it doesn't have to be the end of the road. Transfer that crazy college football work ethic to coursework for the next four months and it'll all be fine.

What a terrible situation. I hope Shy can get it all worked out and can return next season. If for no other reason than to get him another year of PT (likely as a starter) to build his body of work for the next level. I have no doubt he can make it at that level, but having to come out this year will make it really tough to get a shot.

Also, Forza Azzurri gives VERY good advice about appealing. Especially with Shy having a LD, there is the base foundation for a good potential of success. Sometimes the University isn't very good about giving you ALL of the options available to you. It's not generally malicious, it's just that most of the time it's paperwork from people that just deal with paperwork. Contact them via the link provided and appeal. It actually gives very good advice about how to do it and what you should include in the appeal.

Good luck to you and to Shy no matter how it works out. I'll be rooting for him.

Yup - sports teams usually lend a hand, but on the academic side there are still gaps. It never hurts to ask.

Surprised you can be academically eligible but still be suspended due to grades. Hope shy bounces back!!

You can't become ineligible until grades are final for that semester.

Can he change to a different school within the university having less stringent requirements and then change back to that major once grades are back

Probably not. Maybe he could go to OCC.

It's college rules nowadays. These kids are adults and are expected to advocate for themselves. My daughter is on the autism spectrum, as many of you know, and it was brutal the nonsense we had to endure from college administrators while we were trying to help her get through to her degree.

I don’t mean to sound pissy at school just can’t wrap my head around any coach not calling Bam and saying Shy is having a hard time right now and we have to get it straightened out. I just don’t get that.

It's college rules nowadays. These kids are adults and are expected to advocate for themselves. My daughter is on the autism spectrum, as many of you know, and it was brutal the nonsense we had to endure from college administrators while we were trying to help her get through to her degree.
That sucks that u had to deal with that crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom