Shy Ineligible | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shy Ineligible

I don’t mean to sound pissy at school just can’t wrap my head around any coach not calling Bam and saying Shy is having a hard time right now and we have to get it straightened out. I just don’t get that.

Privacy laws prevent a college employee from sharing a student's academic information with anyone, including parents.

Yep. It's almost like a HIPPA thing where there are some things they just can't go to the parents with.

It is sorta like that. A parent doesn’t have online access to anything academic (and non emergency health things) without the students permission. SUs Orange Slice which holds all student info is accessible to students and parents. But only if the students allow parent access and then they decide which specifics are visible to the parent.

Oh, no doubt. Universities are just weird places... they exist in their own little bubbles and are very... self-absorbed and self-important sometimes. The hoops that certain departments make you jump through for basic things is really annoying, and many of the people the work there seem to have a sense of importance that is completely out of line with what they do.

There are regulations, and then there are what people think those things mean.

edit: BY "they" and "there" I don't mean SU exclusively. I meant colleges and universities in general. There are some amazing, helpful people that work there, but there are MANY that have a very self-important view of what they do.

Look many applications of the privacy laws are weird. We had our dog boarded at our local vet for a 2 week period about 30 years ago. We figured it was a good time for updating his shots and a checkup at the same time. Well he needed emergency surgery for cancer and we were 1200 miles away. It was back when long distance cost a lot. We called 3 times the 24 hours after surgery to check on him and since he was recovering well we decided to have my mother who was local, call and check on him at the vets every other day for us. The vet would not give out our dog’s condition to my mother for privacy reasons. OMG I couldn’t believe it but they were steadfast. I know that our dog wouldn’t have minded :rolleyes:. Thankfully our dog recovered. They said I needed to have preauthorized my mother to get the info. So yes it can be applied in the craziest situations.

Yep. It's almost like a HIPPA thing where there are some things they just can't go to the parents with.

That's exactly what it is like.

That's exactly what it is.

A lot of arthletic coaches and departments hide behind FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) way too much. First thing I do every fall is have new students/parents fill out a waiver so the parents can get info when they want it (I’d thats what the student athlete wants).

I know at ours there have been some major struggles between kids and parents over access the parents wanted and kid did not want them to have.

First let me start by saying thank you for the support. The response here and online has been overwhelming. I have relayed to Shy your thoughts and prayers for him. He is very upset at the moment. His journey at Syracuse has been quite a roller coaster from his recruitment and coaching changes to redshirting and limited play time up to a great end of playing this season.
Next I would like to say the answers I give and info I share are to the best of my knowledge getting information about what is going on and choices he has to make are far more challenging than you could ever understand. Colleges and coaches have a funny way of not speaking to parents after your children become adults.
To answer some questions I saw... I don’t think transferring in school is an option. I read about it and am not sure how it works but I believe his standing with the university prevents it. I could be wrong but I would hope if that was an option the school would have brought it up or his advisors would have when they were working thru his appeal.
I don’t know if shy would have been invited back for his 5th year it never got to that point.
As far as the future... ideally shy will complete his classes at home get grades good enough to lift his suspension and he could rejoin the team in the summer. First I will say the coaches can not hold his scholarship and We completely understand that. Second if there is no scholarship available they can not give him one. Another option as after shy completes the 2 classes at home would be to pay to return to school finish his last class he needs for his degree and walk on the team. But getting a loan for the 50k it would cost may be problematic.
Another thing we can look at is transferring. It is near impossible to get answers on how to or if a suspended player can play before his previous school suspension is lifted. I am calling the ncaa today again to try and get this figured out. He isn’t a grad transfer so he would have to sit or drop to a lower division. Shy does not wish to sit a year and is don’t blame him.
Third is he rolls the dice and apply for early entry to the nfl draft. He would lose his eligibility for his last year as soon as he does that. To be honest this is another impossible to get answers or advice on. I didnt even know you had to apply to leave early. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how to apply. All I know is the application has to be to the nfl in 3 days. If he were to figure that out and apply and be excepted we have to figure out if the staff will let him participate in a pro day at the school. I am sure shy will impress at a pro day and we will hope he gets a camp offer.
His limited play time Besides special teams makes this the worst choice obviously but one that has to be looked at for his dream to come true.
If any thing changes or any news about what he is doing comes up I will update you as I can.
Again thank you all

Thanks for sharing this info. I don't know how you (and other players' parents) do it. If my boys grow up to be division one level athletes, I think it'd be highly unlikely that I'd be thick skinned enough to come around to a message board of crazy (I mean that in a mostly good way) die-hard fans where they may say some things that are way off base or just plain hurtful/not true. You have much more restraint & self-control than I ever will!

Really appreciate your insight on here and hope nothing but the best for your son! Hope to see him running out of that tunnel in September!

Privacy laws prevent a college employee from sharing a student's academic information with anyone, including parents.

FERPA doesn't prevent the sharing of academic information WITH the student's consent. It's a simple consent form the student signs annually with the college's FERPA officer.

Cheers,
Neil

FERPA doesn't prevent the sharing of academic information WITH the student's consent. It's a simple consent form the student signs annually with the college's FERPA officer.

Cheers,
Neil

That only covers releasing transcripts of grades to parents or guardians. It doesn't allow a football coach to set up a meeting with parents to discuss their child's academic performance.

First let me start by saying thank you for the support. The response here and online has been overwhelming. I have relayed to Shy your thoughts and prayers for him. He is very upset at the moment. His journey at Syracuse has been quite a roller coaster from his recruitment and coaching changes to redshirting and limited play time up to a great end of playing this season.
Next I would like to say the answers I give and info I share are to the best of my knowledge getting information about what is going on and choices he has to make are far more challenging than you could ever understand. Colleges and coaches have a funny way of not speaking to parents after your children become adults.
To answer some questions I saw... I don’t think transferring in school is an option. I read about it and am not sure how it works but I believe his standing with the university prevents it. I could be wrong but I would hope if that was an option the school would have brought it up or his advisors would have when they were working thru his appeal.
I don’t know if shy would have been invited back for his 5th year it never got to that point.
As far as the future... ideally shy will complete his classes at home get grades good enough to lift his suspension and he could rejoin the team in the summer. First I will say the coaches can not hold his scholarship and We completely understand that. Second if there is no scholarship available they can not give him one. Another option as after shy completes the 2 classes at home would be to pay to return to school finish his last class he needs for his degree and walk on the team. But getting a loan for the 50k it would cost may be problematic.
Another thing we can look at is transferring. It is near impossible to get answers on how to or if a suspended player can play before his previous school suspension is lifted. I am calling the ncaa today again to try and get this figured out. He isn’t a grad transfer so he would have to sit or drop to a lower division. Shy does not wish to sit a year and is don’t blame him.
Third is he rolls the dice and apply for early entry to the nfl draft. He would lose his eligibility for his last year as soon as he does that. To be honest this is another impossible to get answers or advice on. I didnt even know you had to apply to leave early. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how to apply. All I know is the application has to be to the nfl in 3 days. If he were to figure that out and apply and be excepted we have to figure out if the staff will let him participate in a pro day at the school. I am sure shy will impress at a pro day and we will hope he gets a camp offer.
His limited play time Besides special teams makes this the worst choice obviously but one that has to be looked at for his dream to come true.
If any thing changes or any news about what he is doing comes up I will update you as I can.
Again thank you all
A tremendous amount of positive energy coming your family's way hoping the path clears and all works towards the best results possible. Hang in there and know you are being thought of...

Last edited:
It's college rules nowadays. These kids are adults and are expected to advocate for themselves. My daughter is on the autism spectrum, as many of you know, and it was brutal the nonsense we had to endure from college administrators while we were trying to help her get through to her degree.

that is beyond obscene, they should be making your daughter's life/your life easier, not more difficult. sorry to hear that

that is beyond obscene, they should be making your daughter's life/your life easier, not more difficult. sorry to hear that

It took my daughter six years to complete her Associates Degree at OCC. First, she had to take a couple courses to demonstrate that she could do the necessary reading and writing at a college level, which we had to pay for, but were for no credit. Then, we paced her efforts, taking only 3 classes per semester.

In all that time, the Dept. for Disability Services did nothing for her - zero. We didn't know that we could have note takers for classes, extended time and quiet places for her to take exams, etc. We didn't even find any of this stuff out until about the middle of year 3, when the Disability Services supervisor tried to get her kicked out of school for being disruptive in class by asking too many questions.

Higher education is truly awful these days. Of course, so is "lower" education, too.

Remember if he pays his own way at SU...he could do it for one semester (Fall 19) and then leave hopefully with degree in hand.

It took my daughter six years to complete her Associates Degree at OCC. First, she had to take a couple courses to demonstrate that she could do the necessary reading and writing at a college level, which we had to pay for, but were for no credit. Then, we paced her efforts, taking only 3 classes per semester.

In all that time, the Dept. for Disability Services did nothing for her - zero. We didn't know that we could have note takers for classes, extended time and quiet places for her to take exams, etc. We didn't even find any of this stuff out until about the middle of year 3, when the Disability Services supervisor tried to get her kicked out of school for being disruptive in class by asking too many questions.

Higher education is truly awful these days. Of course, so is "lower" education, too.

that is terrible., truly terrible. To not let you know about the note takers, extend time etc is educational malpractice.

This is what happens when you live in a sue-happy society.

Or maybe its that we live in a society where people's rights have been trampled by large organizations (including local, state and federal gov't) that it has become normal to push back with the only power they have.

A lawsuit with lots of publicity is often the only choice that makes organizations pay attention, and the only threat that make them follow the laws of the land.

This is one of the most impressive young men to cross our paths in a long time and that is saying something. I really don't know how some of these kids do it. It is hard enough to meet the challenge of college much less with the demands of big time athletics.

One person I am not worried about being successful in life is Shy Cullen. He is someone I want in my lifeboat. I will cheer for him wherever he may go next year and thereafter.

After what seems like months of feel-good stories surrounding the program, this is clearly a feel-bad story. Really bad.

Best of luck to Shy no matter what happens, and I hope he makes it back.

Thanks everyone for the kind words again.
Thank you guys for the links also. I have read into the suspension requirements ( over and over and over) and the nfl draft and supplemental draft stuff ( though I still can’t for the life of me figure out how to apply for the early entry or supplemental draft)
We are trying to contact people who can give advice on this situation but it’s hard. Also a lot of stuff is ... oh you have to ask the ncaa about that or you have to ask the school about that... ugh
To answer some questions... yes we did appeal and it was denied. It stinks because he is only 2 classes and an internship from his degree but I get it.
The school has answers some questions but a lot is oh ask the team or we don’t know about ncaa stuff here. Again some one should write a book about this stuff.
Yes Shy has enrolled back home in a cc. His classes have been verified as transferable towards his degree and his suspension lifting. He must complete 9 credits here and get a 3.1 to do that. Going to occ was something we looked at but couldn’t afford for him to live there so Home it is.
Thanks again everyone

Thanks everyone for the kind words again.
Thank you guys for the links also. I have read into the suspension requirements ( over and over and over) and the nfl draft and supplemental draft stuff ( though I still can’t for the life of me figure out how to apply for the early entry or supplemental draft)
We are trying to contact people who can give advice on this situation but it’s hard. Also a lot of stuff is ... oh you have to ask the ncaa about that or you have to ask the school about that... ugh
To answer some questions... yes we did appeal and it was denied. It stinks because he is only 2 classes and an internship from his degree but I get it.
The school has answers some questions but a lot is oh ask the team or we don’t know about ncaa stuff here. Again some one should write a book about this stuff.
Yes Shy has enrolled back home in a cc. His classes have been verified as transferable towards his degree and his suspension lifting. He must complete 9 credits here and get a 3.1 to do that. Going to occ was something we looked at but couldn’t afford for him to live there so Home it is.
Thanks again everyone

Thank you, sir. We all support you and Shy. You have shared your son, yourself and your thoughts, and Shy has shared is heart and effort for a bunch of football nuts, for that, we thank you and support you in any way we can - and doesn't violate NCAA rules. A 3.1 GPA is but a mole hill for a kid and family that have been through so much. We are with him in spirit and know that he can focus his efforts on his current classes and succeed.

I hope you are able to stay in contact with the team and that shy is able to rejoin the team this summer. Regardless, you have done a great job raising your son to never give up, to do the right thing and to improvise, adapt and overcome (our Marine friends gotta loves this! JarheadJim and others). We have no doubt Shy will come through this valley and climb the next mountain in his life. All the best. Aim high.

I'm glad you guys have a plan. Hopefully he crushes those classes and gets back on track to his degree. Plus, living at home will make it just that much easier to get the grades he needs (although it'll probably be an adjustment living home again, lol)

Good luck Bam. I'm sorry he and you have to go through it, but the fact his still on track is the main thing. One more trick life thrown in front of him to overcome and get stronger from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom