Since our rebirth, is this our best team? | Syracusefan.com

Since our rebirth, is this our best team?

Syracuse football is definately trending upwards with the recruiting off the field. Winning the bowl game in HCSS's first year was a big positive. Let's hope the success continues.

Hickey coming back was mammoth, Hunt has experience now and supposedly had a great spring, great depth at RB, and WR should be much better. I feel better about this team, particularly the O, than any other since we've rebounded.

If we had another year of Bromley I'd say yes. As it stands I think Crume will be great but not sure who will step up to fill the other DT spot. Our record will be as good as that position allows.

Our o-line has the potential to allow great things to happen on offense in both the running and passing game. That's where games are won.

Faegan said:
Hickey coming back was mammoth, Hunt has experience now and supposedly had a great spring, great depth at RB, and WR should be much better. I feel better about this team, particularly the O, than any other since we've rebounded.

I like all the quotes from and about McDonald. If he can get 20% better and we run everything close to the speed he's after - could be huge.

Last edited:
Our problem is that we have FSU, CU, ND, UL, and a surprisingly good Duke team on our schedule...in addition to our rivals (BC and Pitt).

FSU is probably the best team in the nation, so that's a loss.

Clemson lost a lot, but is at the point where they reload as opposed to rebuild AND the game is in SC. That's another loss.

Notre Dame is winnable, but very good none the less. That's a toss in my opinion. They will be favored, but if the off season progress reports are accurate and if we do open up with a high powered offense, we're looking at about a 50% chance. There's no shame in that. ND isn't poorly coached, they will pack fans, and they have a ton of talent. This ND team isn't elite, but they have the potential to beat anyone on any given day.

UL lost a lot, but is still favored to finish #3 in the division. I think that's another 50-50 game. I'm not sure how long it will take Petrino to get the offense roaring. Hopefully we catch them before that. Otherwise they are one of those teams that may not be elite, but is still able to beat anyone of any given day when luck is on their side.

Duke is well-coached and took TAMU to the wire. I think we will win, but they're capable of beating anyone that isn't elite.

BC and Pitt are both toss-ups. We are better and should be favored, but they're both rivalry games and on the road late in the season. Poor weather and injuries make those games unpredictable.

That's 2 guaranteed losses and 5 toss-ups, plus a possibility of overlooking one of the other 3 BCS teams on our schedule. That probably puts us 7-5 or 8-4 heading into our bowl. That doesn't sound great, but our schedule is very hard IMHO. If you took whoever was #15-20 at the end of the season and gave them those hurdles, I don't think that they could expect to walk away with less than 4 losses. IMO, this is a good Syracuse team. Our record just might not show it.

I think that this is our best team in 10+ years and should be ranked, or at least receiving votes.

Last edited:
Next year is what will make or break us, though. Recruiting success this year should allow us to get an early start on next year's recruiting. And we should have a senior QB, so games should be exciting, which also bodes well for recruiting. Combined, with other factors (IPF, yr 3 in the ACC, 5 bowls in 6 yrs, another yr away from GRob, etc) and we could have the monster class that we need to cement us on the next level.

That's when the stars align and it becomes put up or shut up.

I'm more excited about the 2015 squad, but to answer the question, I don't think this will be a better team than 2012. That team should have won 10 games.
Agreed.
The 2012 team was plagued with key injuries early in the season and had a string of bad bounces and tipped balls. That said, this year's offense might be better. Every year SU plays a tough schedule so that is hardly worth mentioning anymore.

Many of us have had our eyes on 2015 for a while now. Good stuff.

Esk just needed to catch the ball against Cincy. That loss was the worst one.
Nah, Rutgers still haunts me. Hickey said he slipped on the blocked FG - our best guy - what are the chances of that?! AND it was Rutgers.

I think 2014 will be close to the 2012 team but maybe a bit lesser of a team. The thing about 2015 is having LSU on the schedule and both Lville and FSU on the road, with Clemson in the Dome as well. We are going to have to sweep the other 8 to have a chance at besting 2012 and what we think 2014 will bring.

I think that this team has the potential to be better than 2012. In large part because I think Hunt is going to take things to the next level this year.

There, I said it.
Yes sir. I think t hunt takes it up a notch if the o line holds up. Really concerned about the middle of the defense. Wayne williams is convinced hes going league after this year so let's see if its not just empty words. I actually hope zeke and coleman can rumble in there. Hooe hodge takes it to the next level too

I think next year is the year, unfortunately or fortunately depending on your glass half empty or class half full outlook, we will play LSU and Clemson at home, FSU and Louisville on the road. Either we take it to those teams and really change peoples perception on Syracuse Football or we do what we have been doing the last several years and get blown out in 2 of them and keep the other two respectable. Personally I think we will take it to them, and they will remember, FOREVER, the day they played the Titans Orange! But that doesn't mean we won't be much improved this year:

Nova- Win, anything else will not be thought about or expected.

Central Michigan- Were done losing to teams that are inferior to us, with a bye week to fix the issues from villanova we roll over Central Michigan. Good team, but this isn't the GROB years, were better.

Maryland- I don't want to say this is a toss up game, but its possible the kids will be looking a week ahead against ND. I know we hate ND, but they will be very good this year with Gohlston returning and if they beat Michigan then they will be undefeated and get a bump in the rankings. As long as the kids don't overlook Maryland, I think this should be a win. Maryland comes into the dome, and I believe we are a more talented team, but sometimes these are the games we lose that once the season is over we look back on and ask ourselves how we let that game get away from us. Thinking Minnesota, Rutgers, cincinnati type game of 2012.

Notre Dame- As I said, I think they will be very good this year. Lost their very talented D-cordinator so maybe their defense won't be as good which will allow us to make plays. Their offense however will be much better then last years. I think this is were we pick up our first loss of the season. Its possible this could also be our coming out party though. I think we will both be 3-0 coming into this game and as long as ND beats Michigan I think they will be a top 15 team with an outside chance of us being near or in the top 25 as long as we take care of business and win our first 3 games big.

Louisville- All depends on how their offense is clicking under Petrino. He is a great offensive mind, however he has had some very bad teams in his initial years. He has a brand new qb and usually it takes more then one year to implement his offense. I think we have an advantage being at home, and think we will win.

Florida State- One of the best teams in the Country again, hopefully we can keep it close but I don't think were at this level yet. FSU is always do for a lapse (besides last year) were they do not show up for a game and I think if they decide to bring their b game then they could possibly get smacked in the mouth.

Wake Forest- Think this is an easy win, think wake will be the worst team in the ACC this year.

Clemson- Lose a lot on offense, but they still have unbelievable athletes on offense. Not sure were ready to go into Clemson and steal a game yet.

NC STATE- Think this is a win, obviously they will be better then last year but I think we will be as well. Absolutely destroyed them on the ground last year and this one is at home. Think this ones a victory.

Duke- This one is a toss up for me, obviously duke is a very good team but Im just not sold on them yet. I think they got away winning the ACC last year because some teams started the year very slowly last year or other teams suffering from injuries. This game could fill the dome if we have a very good record and the perceived new rivalry building between these schools. who knows if it will transfer over to football however, but if their is a packed dome (in these times I'm talking lower 40,000's) then I don't think Duke has a chance.

Pitt- Coming off a much needed bye week, but I'm not sure we win. Haven't won at Pitt since 2001 and we have only beaten them twice since, which were both at home in 2012 and I believe 2006.

BC- Rivarly game and all I don't think BC has a shot unless we are on a free fall. They lost a lot from last years team, mainly the best RB in the league who carried them and their starting QB. Thats a lot to replace when they relied so heavily on the run. I think they will give Wake a run for the worst record in the league.

Overall: 6 wins, 3 losses, 3 toss-ups (Duke, Louisville, ND)
Leaning towards a 7-5 record

Obviously the back end of the schedule is very hard to predict because you don't know where teams will be injury wise and mentally; If they continue to grow from the season or fall apart due to a few tough games. However I think the outlook is pretty good, maybe I had my orange colored glasses on and tried to talk myself into to a few too many wins but today I woke up and was extremely excited about this coming year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom