So about Anae, Beck and the OL | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So about Anae, Beck and the OL

The legend of Elmore.

I am not laughing at this stuff but I'm definitely smirking

It doesn't matter that there is no evidence of him making a big difference, we just know that he would've made us better than Clemson's defense

He's 54 years old!!

I wrote this in another thread but it's definitely the past OC's schemes that has hurt the TE depth. No one that's talented at blocking and receiving wanted to go to SU to just block. Anea has changed that but he has to work with what he has and hopefully we will see a difference from Mang and Hoeh in the receiving aspect of the equation.

We always see mistakes as Money said and there have been some glaring ones but let's hope these 2 continue to improve because they are needed too...ASAP.
Yup its all we have for now. They are not going to magically become these receiving threats. Mahar must have not impressed enough as a blocker. I would love for them to bring in an impact TE that can provide them with the blocking they need along with receiving skills.

Yup its all we have for now. They are not going to magically become these receiving threats. Mahar must have not impressed enough as a blocker. I would love for them to bring in an impact TE that can provide them with the blocking they need along with receiving skills.

Well...young Mahar has to work harder on that blocking skill set because if he can catch the ball that would help the team very much. Actually, if he can catch well I'd love to see him in the OG role and have 2 big targets for Shrader.

This team has 3 players you can count on on offense Shrader, Tucker, and OG. The 2018 team had at least 4 other players besides Dungey who made plays. Strickland, Neal, Riley, Custis, you also had Howard, N Johnson, and Harris.
A much better supporting cast then this year's group
Stickland and custis were not reliable that year imo. Jarveon and nykheim were

What do their previous stats have to do with this year and how they can help this current team? I played TE in college. You need to be able to block too or it kills your offense. Those two never dominated in pass game. It’s cool to be a fan of them. I wish them both the best but I don’t see how they make this team 7-0 instead of. 6-1.

They are the best they have for those positions. Please tell me who you suggest should fill those roles on the offense? Because the scheme needs 11 and 12 personnel. They are not good enough to just run 4 wrs sets.
Do you think they could use an extra OL instead in those situations? Someone like Cruz. It seems since they are only used as blockers you would want a better blocker. Still call him a TE. Just curious about your thoughts.

Do you think they could use an extra OL instead in those situations? Someone like Cruz. It seems since they are only used as blockers you would want a better blocker. Still call him a TE. Just curious about your thoughts.
Good question. They are using lineman types. Hoeh is a lineman and Mang was recruited as a hybrid that could potentially move to line. My guess is they are the best at performing the blocks needed for that position. Got to have the feet, lateral movement and technique for that. Lots of pulling. Sometimes they have to go across the formation to kick out or wrap block. They still have to be able to run routes fast enough to manipulate the defense and open up other receiving targets.

Last edited:
Regardless of playing talented opponents that may cause mistakes, Syracuse leads all 131 FBS teams in penalties per game. We average 9.8 penalties per game. Conversely, Navy and Air Force have the fewest penalties per game at 3.5 and 3.6 respectively. It shows the difference between an undisciplined team and two teams that are highly disciplined. A significant number of these penalties are on the offensive line and are drive killers. It has been a problem for a number of years and needs to be fixed.

Stickland and custis were not reliable that year imo. Jarveon and nykheim were
That's a bit off. Jarveon made some bigger plays and had more potential, but Strickland was rhe guy they relied on more. And I wasn't a Strickland guy. I believe Custis was the team's leading reciever. If the leading reciever isn't reliable, none of the recievers are.

What I don't know (big surprise) is if Anae's new offense has played a role in limiting the opportunities of some of SU's more experienced WRs.

Is Queeley really still hurt? He's been hurt for at least two months and nobody seems to be talking about him coming back.
Courtney Jackson has 12 catches this year, none in the last two games. He was one of the better receivers in the tough ACC games in 2021.
Alford only had 13 catches all last season so I don't think his 2022 is a big outlier but most people expected more production out of him.

There are 16 WRs on the roster this year. That includes Gadsden (our talented TE) and some walkon's and some young players but it also includes some experienced guys, including two transfers.
In 2023, SU is currently scheduled to lose two to graduation and gain one freshman, so there will be 15 WRs.

I'm saying with with worry, not malice but we're less than a week away from being 3/4 of the way through the season and most of the passes are going to one guy. I don't know if some of these guys are going to be entering the portal at the end of the season.

EDIT: 2/3, not 3/4. Not good at maths.

Last edited:
What I don't know (big surprise) is if Anae's new offense has played a role in limiting the opportunities of some of SU's more experienced WRs.

Is Queeley really still hurt? He's been hurt for at least two months and nobody seems to be talking about him coming back.
Courtney Jackson has 12 catches this year, none in the last two games. He was one of the better receivers in the tough ACC games in 2021.
Alford only had 13 catches all last season so I don't think his 2022 is a big outlier but most people expected more production out of him.

There are 16 WRs on the roster this year. That includes Gadsden (our talented TE) and some walkon's and some young players but it also includes some experienced guys, including two transfers.
In 2023, SU is currently scheduled to lose two to graduation and gain one freshman, so there will be 15 WRs.

I'm saying with with worry, not malice but we're less than a week away from being 3/4 of the way through the season and most of the passes are going to one guy. I don't know if some of these guys are going to be entering the portal at the end of the season.
I think the coaches gave up hope on Courtney Jackson when he fumbled against Virginia and also dropped 3 wide open passes during that game.

Jackson seemed to get more targets early in the year. I think I remember him having quite a few drops. I think he has lost some of Shrader's trust while Gadsden became a stud and Cooper gained trust. Losing Johnson early hurt.

I hate playing the speculation game, but I think Queeley is set to graduate and may take his degree and play his final season of eligibility elsewhere. Seems clear he's not in the plans here.

I hate playing the speculation game, but I think Queeley is set to graduate and may take his degree and play his final season of eligibility elsewhere. Seems clear he's not in the plans here.

Agreed.
He was a solid second banana as a WR in prior seasons, but has completely disappeared this year.

It's a shame since his Mom is a superfan, and he seems like a great young man.

Maybe he comes back and proves us all wrong?
It could still be injury-related.

Courtney Jackson is another ?? dude this year.
I really was convinced he'd be a solid WR for us, but he seems wasted as an outside WR, when his skills were best used in the slot.

Agreed.
He was a solid second banana as a WR in prior seasons, but has completely disappeared this year.

I really was convinced he'd be a solid WR for us, but he seems wasted as an outside WR, when his skills were best used in the slot.
Yeah, we know those guys can be more productive than they are now because we've seen it.

Yeah, we know those guys can be more productive than they are now because we've seen it.
They weren't in a situation where defenses keyed on them. We didn't pass a lot last year, running was our style. This year the offense is more balanced, and with teams putting more pressure on stopping the passing game they have failed to step up.

They weren't in a situation where defenses keyed on them. We didn't pass a lot last year, running was our style. This year the offense is more balanced, and with teams putting more pressure on stopping the passing game they have failed to step up.
That and I think it's a little like the guy in the NBA that puts up good numbers on a bad team. If he were on a good team his numbers would plummet. Because he's on a bad team he's the only option. Those guys put up respectable numbers when there were few other options.

When you barely lose to a #5 team at their place, there’s not a ton wrong with the offense. Things can get better, but what we have done will continue to be effective enough.

I get that we find it cathartic to dig through rosters and question coaching when we lose (I do it too) - but the things in column a are still pretty good. We’ll be alright.

Agreed.

Jackson reminds me of Riley in his senior year, that was a very odd year he had struggling to get catches.

As for Q, I have no idea what's going on there. He had such a nice freshman year.

When you barely lose to a #5 team at their place, there’s not a ton wrong with the offense. Things can get better, but what we have done will continue to be effective enough.

I get that we find it cathartic to dig through rosters and question coaching when we lose (I do it too) - but the things in column a are still pretty good. We’ll be alright.
Offense wasn’t the reason we barely lost. I’d argue that had we had an offense we win going away.

I mean... defenses aren't keying on Jackson now.

They definitely aren't keying on Queeley since he doesn't play.

I get your point overall, I suspect it's a smaller part of the story.

I would flat out like to see him throw it to another receiver.

though I think he’s throwing it to the wr the play calls for so I won’t completely crush him for it.
Cooper having a crucial first down pass go off his face mask doesn’t instill much confidence. We are really missing Jones getting injured early in the season . I thought Cooper could be a decent 2nd option after Jones went down, but it’s one man show right now . Alford is big play or bust. Wouldn’t mind seeing what Hatcher can do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom