So... Did Benny end up going to practice? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

So... Did Benny end up going to practice?

I'm still not sure if it's spelled Winifred or Winfred.

826663141818.webp

None of this shows up in analytical data. At all.
In fact, literally the opposite

5 mins vs Richmond - DRtg 108, Second Best on team
4 mins vs Bryant - DRtg 98, Second Best on team
13 mins vs Cornell - DRtg 84, Second Best on team

So what specific can you point to that suggests he was lost on defense in his limited minutes. Any facts the other way would be welcomed. Always up for good debate

This interested me so I did some digging on how Drtg is calculated and what it means, especially in a zone.

Although the formula is very complex, there are specific flaws to a zone defense and for guys that play limited minutes. Also, heavily dependent on overall team defense during the players time on the floor.

I found a pretty good summary here with the explanations of its usefulness and flaws.

Anyway, I love advanced stats and often try and figure out which ones are more valuable than others and why. I don't think this stat is a very good one overall for our zone.

Edit: After I posted my response I read the debate on advanced analytics and Drtg. Its good to know there are others that like to take the dive on what they all actually mean and there reliability.

Last edited:
Also, heavily dependent on overall team defense during the players time on the floor.
This is correct when comparing DRtg vs another player on another team, not the same team

DBPM is much more dependant on overall team defense

The limited mins is assumed as a general flaw. I used it because the specific argument in this case as was the player in question was accused of making drastic mistakes in his limited time.

If someone came in and was such an obvious issue on defense, it would show up.

This is correct when comparing DRtg vs another player on another team, not the same team

DBPM is much more dependant on overall team defense

The limited mins is assumed as a general flaw. I used it because the specific argument in this case as was the player in question was accused of making drastic mistakes in his limited time.

If someone came in and was such an obvious issue on defense, it would show up.

All good. I know people like the stat and I've seen it used in argument. This was actually the first time I dove into the formula and an analysis of how it works. Overall, defense is much harder to quantify than offense imo.

All good. I know people like the stat and I've seen it used in argument. This was actually the first time I dove into the formula and an analysis of how it works. Overall, defense is much harder to quantify than offense imo.
100% agreed on offense vs defense.

But in general...strictly eye test, not looking at the numbers, just your opinion...who would you say are Syracuse 2 best defenders and 2 worst defenders?

I know who my suggestions would be. So when it matches the numbers that are output. To me, gives some credibility to the calculation. Of course, there are always outliers as well.

This interested me so I did some digging on how Drtg is calculated and what it means, especially in a zone.

Although the formula is very complex, there are specific flaws to a zone defense and for guys that play limited minutes. Also, heavily dependent on overall team defense during the players time on the floor.

I found a pretty good summary here with the explanations of its usefulness and flaws.

Anyway, I love advanced stats and often try and figure out which ones are more valuable than others and why. I don't think this stat is a very good one overall for our zone.

Edit: After I posted my response I read the debate on advanced analytics and Drtg. Its good to know there are others that like to take the dive on what they all actually mean and there reliability.

I’ll have to read through that. Did that with BPM and found that the DBPM half isn’t very reliable and even the site says it could be ignored. Based on too few stats.

None of this shows up in analytical data. At all.
In fact, literally the opposite

5 mins vs Richmond - DRtg 108, Second Best on team
4 mins vs Bryant - DRtg 98, Second Best on team
13 mins vs Cornell - DRtg 84, Second Best on team

So what specific can you point to that suggests he was lost on defense in his limited minutes. Any facts the other way would be welcomed. Always up for good debate
I would think those small minutes really mean nothing.

You’re trying to make this into something it’s not, because you’ve got an angle to try to get over. There’s zero indication that it’s anything you just said, and frankly that’s unfair to him to even insinuate those are the issues.

He’s mad he’s not playing well or a lot.
There is no indication that is what it is. According to JB, Benny’s parents interceded. To me, that is a sign that perhaps there is more to it.
To say that considering those things as an insult is an archaic way of looking at things. There is no insulting about thinking someone may be having any or all of those issues.
Your take is insulting and demeaning to those who live with those conditions.

Being the modest man I am, it feels too strange to post a players moms Instagram on a fan board.

That being said, it wasn’t hard to find when I was on said players instagram.
What he said. ^^^

100% agreed on offense vs defense.

But in general...strictly eye test, not looking at the numbers, just your opinion...who would you say are Syracuse 2 best defenders and 2 worst defenders?

I know who my suggestions would be. So when it matches the numbers that are output. To me, gives some credibility to the calculation. Of course, there are always outliers as well.

Without looking at the numbers I would say that Jesse (because of rim protection and defensive rebounding) and Symir (best on ball defender, quick and strong) are two at the top.

On the low end I would say Joe (just not quick enough and his size and lack of elite athletic ability) and Benny (doesn't seem to understand the concept of team defense, slow to close despite elite athleticism, to often ball watching and flat footed).

I will say Joe has gotten progressively better each season though. The guy has played pretty hard all year.

I'm very confused. Jason Hart could be Benny's dad.
At 40+, he probably could’ve kept our starting backcourt in front of him more times than not the last 10 years.

We’ve really gotta stop relying on role players who are good at one thing on one end of the floor, to play starter/superstar minutes.

Gbinije, Battle, Judah, and maybe one other guy who isn’t here anymore are probably the only guards we have had who could play both ends at an high level (and thus deserve 30+ mpg) since 2015.

The funny thing is, I think we've turned the ball over 5 or 6 times in our last 6 or 7 possessions to start the last two games. I get sending a message but they're all careless.
You know why we get behind early in games and suffer turnover issues ? It’s because we ARENT good

Without looking at the numbers I would say that Jesse (because of rim protection and defensive rebounding) and Symir (best on ball defender, quick and strong) are two at the top.

On the low end I would say Joe (just not quick enough and his size and lack of elite athletic ability) and Benny (doesn't seem to understand the concept of team defense, slow to close despite elite athleticism, to often ball watching and flat footed).

I will say Joe has gotten progressively better each season though. The guy has played pretty hard all year.
What has Benny ever done to show he has elite athleticism? I’d say average athleticism, especially compared to guys we’ve had here.

JB will punish Benny tomorrow for skipping game, maybe put him in during garbage time

What has Benny ever done to show he has elite athleticism? I’d say average athleticism, especially compared to guys we’ve had here.
I would say he has above average athleticism, especially running, jumping but below average basketball IQ, no feel or ability to anticipate or see the floor. Also sub par strength.

I would say he has above average athleticism, especially running, jumping but below average basketball IQ, no feel or ability to anticipate or see the floor. Also sub par strength.
Someone described it well. It’s like he just started playing midway through high school. I think he has above average athleticism, but no idea how to use that effectively.

I think that was Michael Lloyd

Ramel "Rock" Lloyd came 2 years later for just a season, I believe
I think we’re talking about the same person.

Was tonight Benny's last game? He checked out in every way at the under 8 TO. Was sitting a few rows behind the bench and it was sad to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom