So... Did Benny end up going to practice? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So... Did Benny end up going to practice?

The Malik Brown we see now is not the Malik Brown we saw in November. He was lost on defense and struggled in his limited minutes.
None of this shows up in analytical data. At all.
In fact, literally the opposite

5 mins vs Richmond - DRtg 108, Second Best on team
4 mins vs Bryant - DRtg 98, Second Best on team
13 mins vs Cornell - DRtg 84, Second Best on team

So what specific can you point to that suggests he was lost on defense in his limited minutes. Any facts the other way would be welcomed. Always up for good debate

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Sure it matters
In what sense though.

Like does it matter to Wins and Losses this year?
Next year? (he was almost def gone end of year regardless)
...or just perception wise

Benny should just show up. Like nothing happened. “What ‘quit?’ Are you serious? I was just blowing out some steam. You know my sense of humor.” And then slip him a mickey the next day.
The old George Costanza technique. I'm all for it, as long as it doesn't culminate in him slipping JB a Mickey.

I don’t really agree. I was on the Maliq over Benny bandwagon in the exhibition games when I saw him play for 5 minutes, but reasonable people can disagree.
Yeah, this thread from December after 10 games is pretty pro-Maliq. And he barely played in November because of a hip injury IIRC, but when he got more than a handful of minutes he usually produced.

I don’t really agree. I was on the Maliq over Benny bandwagon in the exhibition games when I saw him play for 5 minutes, but reasonable people can disagree.
I think JB was simply banking/hoping on Benny being the forward with a higher upside. He has better athleticism and can potentially play both inside and outside the paint (he has the ability to hit mid range and perimeter shots). I don’t think that was an unreasonable expectation/hope, at least in the long arc of the season. But Benny has just proven to be so inconsistent and struggles with mental aspects of the game. We need consistent rebounding and interior scoring and Maliq has provided that (along with steals and deflections and rim protection). JB eventually felt comfortable with Maliq and his improvements and continued consistency to give him more minutes, especially as Benny has regressed.

If anything, JAB has been consistent in his coaching method and his treating of local media since, I believe the Raw Recruits book came out in 1991, and the Syracuse papers started going after him. Bobby Lazor was almost 30 years ago also. Whether you agree with JAB or not, he has been consistent.

There were a lot of things that have changed in 30 years. What was “accepted” back then may not be now. Consistency can be great with some things, but you need to adapt.

None of this shows up in analytical data. At all.
In fact, literally the opposite

5 mins vs Richmond - DRtg 108, Second Best on team
4 mins vs Bryant - DRtg 98, Second Best on team
13 mins vs Cornell - DRtg 84, Second Best on team

So what specific can you point to that suggests he was lost on defense in his limited minutes. Any facts the other way would be welcomed. Always up for good debate
Interesting. And can’t say I understand advanced defense metrics, particularly in a zone. So I may be wrong and am relying on anecdotal memories of failure to get out on the corner three (not that that has gotten any better with any of our forwards) and being slow to bring weak side support to the post.

At any rate, Maliq is performing as our best 4 now and I am excited to see him continue to progress. Glad to see him get the opportunity.

If anything, JAB has been consistent in his coaching method and his treating of local media since, I believe the Raw Recruits book came out in 1991, and the Syracuse papers started going after him. Bobby Lazor was almost 30 years ago also. Whether you agree with JAB or not, he has been consistent.

Lazor 6’9”,was a good player, but unfortunately for him, he wasn’t going to play over John Wallace his first 2 years. Wallace had actually graduated when Lazor left for his junior year, right after we were in the Final 4. He and his family were mad he didn’t get more playing time but in those 2 years, we had Lawrence Moten, Luke Jackson, John Wallace and Todd Burgan but only Todd Burgan hadn’t graduated when Lazor left - so odd timing. He really improved going head to head with Wallace his first 2 years in practice too. I saw a number of practices back then and Bobby’s dad, a former Pitt player, was often there. Bobby preferred sitting out a year at Arizona State where he did well. Unfortunately for him Arizona State never made the NCAA’s his 2 years there. He was drafted in the 6th round of the CBA draft by Grand Rapids.

I think JB was simply banking/hoping on Benny being the forward with a higher upside. He has better athleticism and can potentially play both inside and outside the paint (he has the ability to hit mid range and perimeter shots). I don’t think that was an unreasonable expectation/hope, at least in the long arc of the season. But Benny has just proven to be so inconsistent and struggles with mental aspects of the game. We need consistent rebounding and interior scoring and Maliq has provided that (along with steals and deflections and rim protection). JB eventually felt comfortable with Maliq and his improvements and continued consistency to give him more minutes, especially as Benny has regressed.
Benny was recruited to have a different and more important role in the offense particularly. Since it took 80% of last season for a tenuous consensus to emerge that he was not ready for prime time, it made sense to use most of the OOC schedule to see if the reinvented (over the summer) Benny could meet his original expectations.

This line of thinking really confuses me. The Malik Brown we see now is not the Malik Brown we saw in November. He was lost on defense and struggled in his limited minutes. To his credit he has worked his butt off to get to where he is now. He was the 270th ranked recruit for a reason.
Same with virtually every player you mention. I tend to give more credit to the staff for taking under the radar recruits and helping them develop to the point they can contribute.
“Not ready” sometimes means not ready.
Disagree. Think it was pretty clear he had ability from the first few games.

I guess it’s an impossible discussion to be “right” about. But considering what he’s doing now, I’ll leave it at that.

We complain about our horrible starts, the way we need to keep coming back in games that too often after we’re already down 15 points early. Bet JB had plenty of talks about the team being ready, playing hard right from the tip-off to his team, as he should have. We then have our first turnover 14 seconds into the game from a player fighting for playing time in a huge game against the league leaders at home. What a horrible start for the team, for the player. How is a coach supposed to trust a player so unaware of the importance of basic ball security? Bell seemed to realize from his own words why he was pulled and he knew he has to prove he’s always ready when on the court. If a player is more embarrassed about being pulled than committing such a careless, easily avoidable turnover just 14 seconds into a game - then I would be worried.
You know what is hilarious, if that was JGIII that turned the ball over you know he wouldn't have been pulled. Believe me, Joe has MANY bad turnovers.

You know what is hilarious, if that was JGIII that turned the ball over you know he wouldn't have been pulled. Believe me, Joe has MANY bad turnovers.
Has Joe's play over the years not earned a little bit of a longer leash than Bell?

Believe it or not Joe and Bell have the 2 lowest turnover rates of the starters.

JB was an @hole in his dealings with the local media 15 years before that book came out.

So if you want to talk about consistency, yeah, there's consistency. That's who he is.

Wondering if there is an unwritten recruiting agreement with Chris Bell similar to what Roc Christmas appeared to have when he was a freshman. Christmas started every game his freshman year (as well as the other years) and was usually subbed for at the first dead ball of the game. Does Chris Bell have an agreement that he would start every Game no matter what was going on?

I don't see how pulling the kid after 14 seconds is productive or good for the kid's confidence. It was one turnover and JB humiliates Bell, did same to Bobby Lazor after 8 seconds. I have been a fan of SU BB since my freshman year at SU in 1963. I have defended JB in the past, but to be honest I am sick of his coaching and the way he treats the media, etc.
He has probably told him repeatedly not to try to beat anyone off the dribble, then he tries, and loses the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom