So... Did Benny end up going to practice? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So... Did Benny end up going to practice?

Wondering if there is an unwritten recruiting agreement with Chris Bell similar to what Roc Christmas appeared to have when he was a freshman. Christmas started every game his freshman year (as well as the other years) and was usually subbed for at the first dead ball of the game. Does Chris Bell have an agreement that he would start every Game no matter what was going on?
Yes. This is obvious.

And can’t say I understand advanced defense metrics, particularly in a zone
I don't put a lot of stock into them, because they're usually dependent on sample sizes. That said, I do pay attention to them if they match the eye test. If some advanced metrics aren't matching up with what I am (or the majority of people are) seeing, then I'll poke around as to why.

I'm not going to defend JB, but Bell and Benny really should have been benched about 10 games ago or at the very least subbed out sooner.

Have to think we have 2-3 more wins if minutes were reversed with Brown and Taylor.
2-3 more wins feels like a lot, especially because we'd be dismissing the games that Benny and Bell contributed to wins that maybe don't happen with Brown and Taylor seeing more court time.

In any event... I think Taylor isn't in the same class as Brown, but he gets lumped in with him for some reason. Because they're the guys off the bench? I don't know. But Taylor profiles a lot more like Quadir and Bell than Brown.

You are right, it's all speculation because it's not a normal everyday occurrence and it coincided with him not starting and then playing 7 minutes. Of course we all hope it's not something bigger than the game but his body language all season has screamed pouting when he's not playing.

To JBs credit, after being an @hole, he did say Benny took a personal day and will be back at practice on Wednesday.

I'm still a little bent by the way JB responded. The kid asked a question that his audience would want to know. Yes it was the biggest question of the day. You can only ask so many questions about losing.
Name one other D1 coach who gives kids quick hooks like Gus
Who doesnt reward the kids playing well with starts?
Who refuse to start a different 2nd half five?
Who put down there own players in post game press conferences. I cant name one.
Gus is unique. His criteria for starting is supposedly based on practice performance, yet it isnt.
His public put down of players and quick hooks is supposed to make them better.
Gus runs his ship differently than most and it worked for about 40 years.
The last 7 or so it hasn't. Maybe Gus will change but i doubt it.

2-3 more wins feels like a lot, especially because we'd be dismissing the games that Benny and Bell contributed to wins that maybe don't happen with Brown and Taylor seeing more court time.

In any event... I think Taylor isn't in the same class as Brown, but he gets lumped in with him for some reason. Because they're the guys off the bench? I don't know. But Taylor profiles a lot more like Quadir and Bell than Brown.
I don't think Taylor is in the same class as Brown, but he's better than Bell or Quadir. We are plus 12 per 100 possessions with him on the court. We are -4 with Bell and -12 with Copeland.

For the record Brown got 4 minutes against Bryant while we gave 27 to Ajak.
He had zero minutes vs St. Johns we lost in OT (Bell and Benny were decent)
He didn't get in against Pittsburgh until the starters already had us down 15 points.

I don't think Taylor is in the same class as Brown, but he's better than Bell or Quadir. We are plus 12 per 100 possessions with him on the court. We are -4 with Bell and -12 with Copeland.

He didn't get in against Pittsburgh until the starters already had us down 15 points.

Taylor has a plus skill plus he moves nicely off the ball. He's a kid to keep happy.

Those Ajak #s make my eyes bleed.

You know what is hilarious, if that was JGIII that turned the ball over you know he wouldn't have been pulled. Believe me, Joe has MANY bad turnovers.
What’s the alternative to Joe?

Has Joe's play over the years not earned a little bit of a longer leash than Bell?
Actually the reverse, he as a senior should not be making those stupid turns, and when exactly did Joe not turn the ball over?

Brown's early season minutes are going to remain a mystery.

I know there was talk he wasn't 100% early in the season. I don't think that explains all of it.

Actually the reverse, he as a senior should not be making those stupid turns, and when exactly did Joe not turn the ball over?

Joe handles the ball a lot, Bell doesn’t. You might also want to check the TOV% of peoples beloved advanced metrics. Joe and Chris are almost exactly the same and a little better than Judah and a lot better than Sy.

That’s kinda my point, Taylor or Symir are the alternatives.
I get playing the high volume scoring Joe, but the last two games he has been invisible offensively. When he is not shooting effectively his value for minute played is a net negative. I guess coach is just optimistic he will suddenly wake up.

Joe handles the ball a lot, Bell doesn’t. You might also want to check the TOV% of peoples beloved advanced metrics. Joe and Chris are almost exactly the same and a little better than Judah and a lot better than Sy.
Joe has never been a good much less great ball handler, and in most of his career his scoring makes up for that. If you think he is /was I do not know what to say to you.
The thing I find strange is removed from most of the ball handling his scoring production lately has been lacking. Not sure what is going on with that.

You know what is hilarious, if that was JGIII that turned the ball over you know he wouldn't have been pulled. Believe me, Joe has MANY bad turnovers.
And also the passes to the open man Joe never gave because he had his head down or tried to the hero thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom