So does SU do anything? | Syracusefan.com

So does SU do anything?

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
How does SU react to today's ruling? What can they do? I think JB gets his wins back once he retires so I'm not sure that is a big deal. We just go down as the last school to ever cooperate with an NCAA investigation?

Do people want to take money away from the Carrier Dome renovation?

How does SU react to today's ruling? What can they do? I think JB gets his wins back once he retires so I'm not sure that is a big deal. We just go down as the last school to ever cooperate with an NCAA investigation?

We're at one end or the other of a lot of notable occurrences:
First African-American Heisman winner
First 2 to lose to a 15 in the NCAA's
Last school to moronically self-report violations.

This has literally zero impact on JB's wins - how could it??
UNC committed zero infractions, right? Found Not Guilty.
How does that impact what SU did? We ADMITTED it.

I said it then, and I'll say it now. We should have sued left and right.

Miami? Nothing.
PSU? Slap on the wrist.
UNC? Nothing.

SU? Some of the worst sanctions ever.

A couple thousand bucks (combined over a decade) + a clerical error in administering a voluntary drug test + a rogue secretary who, in an isolated instance, wrote a paper for a player = worse than ruining childrens' lives + buying girls, players, drugs, and abortions + putting bounties on the other team + fake classes

OK...

H*ll, we should sue now.

We should have already done this, but better late than never, right?

Or, we could start writing papers for non-athletes.
Speaking of such... now that we have the precedent... can't we find some non-athletes to come forward and say they were helped by the sports tutors? It almost seems too simple!

Unfortunately most of the sanctions are behind us, I don't know what can be done. It's not like we can get scholarships back, get 16 scholarships per year, or be allowed 6 coaches on the road.

JB getting wins back would be meaningful, at least in terms of solidifying himself as one of the GOATs while he's still coaching and recruiting players. To put yourself in a list with Coach K and Bob Knight means a lot.

Unfortunately most of the sanctions are behind us, I don't know what can be done. It's not like we can get scholarships back, get 16 scholarships per year, or be allowed 6 coaches on the road.

JB getting wins back would be meaningful, at least in terms of solidifying himself as one of the GOATs while he's still coaching and recruiting players. To put yourself in a list with Coach K and Bob Knight means a lot.

Sue for damages, but I'm not holding my breath. My guess is we do nothing.

isnt there any morality clause in the NCAA bylaws? So why doesnt every school just do this now create a class and let athletes stay eligible?

on the flip side since people every day give kids benefits at college, doesnt that mean giving them to athletes is now OK since any can get them?

I'd be more than happy to accept back payments (w/ interest of course). Give us an extra scholarship a year for all the years they took one away (+1 more year for interest) and return any fines/withheld payments (with interest), give Jimmy his wins back, and issue a public apology, or get sued and risk having a significant amount of corruption (some of which is probably illegal) come to light.

Best case scenario, we're made whole. Worst case scenario, the NCAA is exposed for what they are. I'm not seeing a downside.

It's not just a JB thing, but more importantly, for Syracuse as its stature in college hoops history/lore as a program in the top echelon for most wins.

Throw a molotov cocktail through their window.

Actually this is the only suggestion that is even remotely possible. Which is a testimony to the impracticability of the suggestions above.

Does anyone think that the NCAA will go back and undo past sanctions when they are being criticized for not having strong enough sanctions in the UNC case?

Does that seem like it might / could happen? If anything, I think they will point to the SU case of when they did impose punishment for violations.

UNC got off on a technicality. No such technicality existed in the SU cases.

Actually this is the only suggestion that is even remotely possible. Which is a testimony to the impracticability of the suggestions above.

Does anyone think that the NCAA will go back and undo past sanctions when they are being criticized for not having strong enough sanctions in the UNC case?

Does that seem like it might / could happen? If anything, I think they will point to the SU case of when they did impose punishment for violations.

Fight anything hard enough, and you'll find a technicality.

That's BS.

The prisons are filled with people who couldn't do that.
And how many of them had the means (expertise and money) to fight like a major university?

I agree with Townie though it took me more than 24 hours to get to this point. Needless to say the announcement was very upsetting but honestly expected. To let this news continue to ruin my days and weeks is foolish. I thought back about when Syracuse got hit with sanctions and recalled how it was so unfair for the then current players to be punished for what happened before them. The same could be said for today's players at UNC. However the coaches, administration, school academic leaders, alumni, and fans must live with this "scarlet letter" forever. There is absolutely no honor in winning games and championships when you are cheating but if you want to hide behind a technicality and proudly hail those victories and championships, then that is who you are. I would much more rather live with Syracuse being punished for violations than knowing I cheated, beat the system and walked away unscathed. The key is they now have to live with it. I for one, will always remind them when they talk about "the Carolina way" that it starts with cheating then hiding behind a technicality. Living less than 25 miles from Chapel Hill will provide me many opportunities.

Nice win against Clemson. Lets Go Orange.

And how many of them had the means (expertise and money) to fight like a major university?

Plenty of them. Just ask the white collar crooks from Wall Street who are serving time.

Plenty of them. Just ask the white collar crooks from Wall Street who are serving time.
There aren't any. I think that there was literally one from the entire fallout of the Great Recession, and I'm pretty sure he's out.

It's sad, crazy, and unjust, but it's America in the 21st century.

There aren't any. I think that there was literally one from the entire fallout of the Great Recession, and I'm pretty sure he's out.

It's sad, crazy, and unjust, but it's America in the 21st century.

Well, somebody is in those minimum security jails in PA.

I actually know a guy who served time for insider trading. He was the publisher of a major newspaper. He had plenty of money and lots of friends in politics. He did three years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom