So does SU do anything? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So does SU do anything?

Or, we could start writing papers for non-athletes.
Exactly. Here's the recipe, also followed by 'Bama and UK:

1- make sure your fake courses are offered on a massive scale, so that you can use non-athletes as cover;
2- never self-report booster cash;
3- if you get busted, make sure Skankey - the king of academic fraud in the SEC - is running the committee; and
4- hire the same lawfirm that got UNC a free pass for the biggest unpunished sports scandal in NCAA history.

I agree with Townie though it took me more than 24 hours to get to this point. Needless to say the announcement was very upsetting but honestly expected. To let this news continue to ruin my days and weeks is foolish. I thought back about when Syracuse got hit with sanctions and recalled how it was so unfair for the then current players to be punished for what happened before them. The same could be said for today's players at UNC. However the coaches, administration, school academic leaders, alumni, and fans must live with this "scarlet letter" forever. There is absolutely no honor in winning games and championships when you are cheating but if you want to hide behind a technicality and proudly hail those victories and championships, then that is who you are. I would much more rather live with Syracuse being punished for violations than knowing I cheated, beat the system and walked away unscathed. The key is they now have to live with it. I for one, will always remind them when they talk about "the Carolina way" that it starts with cheating then hiding behind a technicality. Living less than 25 miles from Chapel Hill will provide me many opportunities.

Nice win against Clemson. Lets Go Orange.
I really like your thoughts on this. Feeling bitter about victimhood may be good for a day or two, but ultimately doesn’t change the situation, and dwelling in that place harms our well-being. I am certainly biased because I got a Masters from UNC, but also feel very strongly that punishing current players for past players’ behavior is cruel and stupid. Yes, that was done to us, but two wrongs don’t equal a right.

What really interferes with my zen is that I have come to HATE the NCAA.

Hey, where do you live? I lived in Durham for 12 years.

I really like your thoughts on this. Feeling bitter about victimhood may be good for a day or two, but ultimately doesn’t change the situation, and dwelling in that place harms our well-being. I am certainly biased because I got a Masters from UNC, but also feel very strongly that punishing current players for past players’ behavior is cruel and stupid. Yes, that was done to us, but two wrongs don’t equal a right.

I wholeheartedly understand the fury and outrage of this thread, etc., but for me and my own sanity, I'll go back to "Chinatown" ... "Forget Jake, it's Chinatown."

I think people conveniently forget that a major part of our self sanctions was declaring ourselves ineligible, in what was at the time a bubble team that was by far the worst performing Syracuse team in 7 years (at the time). I called it at the time as shenanigans on our part. And it probably did not help in the additional judgments that came down. We can hate Louisville all we want, but they actually hit themselves with an actual tourney ban that meant something. It was a real penalty.

This is not to say NCAA was not to harsh with us in light of what others did, but we can’t count our 2015 ban as a real major penalty in my view.

Last edited:
I think people conveniently forget that a major part of our self sanctions was declaring ourselves ineligible, in what was at the time a bubble team that was by far the worst performing Syracuse team in 7 years (at the time). I called it at the time as shenanigans on our part. And it probably did not help in the additional judgments that came down. We can hate Louisville all we want, but they actually hit themselves with an actual tourney ban that meant something. It was a real penalty.

This is not to say NCAA was not to harsh with us, but we can’t count our 2015 ban as a real major penalty in my view.

The scholarship reductions/recruiting restrictions were a real killer. Taking away wins is dumb. UNC should have at least had to dealt with that and honestly a 2 year ban for postseason play would have killed their current recruiting class.

Look in the mirror. We self imposed a post season ban in a year in which we were not going to the NCAA anyway..and then we made the final four. All things being equal...I'd say we came out OK...and who exactly did we not land because we didn't have enough scholarships? some program replacement level dude?

Look in the mirror. We self imposed a post season ban in a year in which we were not going to the NCAA anyway..and then we made the final four. All things being equal...I'd say we came out OK...and who exactly did we not land because we didn't have enough scholarships? some program replacement level dude?

BJ would still be here. He'd look pretty good on the wing last year or this year.

I live in Cary, been here 15 years after more than 60 years in upstate NY. Must have been fun to go to UNC and live in Durham. Just visited UNC & Duke two weekends ago to show my niece's daughter the two schools.

I hear you about the NCAA, but I feel the real problem lies on the table of the Board room in Chapel Hill. Without any action regarding academic fraud, the Board is giving pocket approval to the 18 years of cheating to keep athletes eligible to play their sport, win games and bring recognition to UNC. This results in shaming all UNC graduates at the expense of a few extra victories in college sports. I for one will never look at any UNC banners, records or claims of championships as being legitimate. If you get caught cheating and do not take it serious then you may have done it before and you most likely will do it again. In the words of the NCAA, it is the definition of lack of institutional control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom