So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing? | Syracusefan.com

So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
That's a pile of rushing yards and I'm not even sure we ran the ball that well.

Dungey's creativity was a big part of it. We went with a lot of bunch running sets that don't provide a lot of room but stuff a lot of blockers in the backfield. We seemed pretty intent on running into the box instead of "taking what the defense" gave us. Neal and Strickland did move the pile forward better this game than I thought they did last season, but it's tough when the pile is one yard past the line of scrimmage.

Big takeaway is that at least yesterday we seem to have figured out how to punch in red zone TDs.

That's a pile of rushing yards and I'm not even sure we ran the ball that well.

Dungey's creativity was a big part of it. We went with a lot of bunch running sets that don't provide a lot of room but stuff a lot of blockers in the backfield. We seemed pretty intent on running into the box instead of "taking what the defense" gave us. Neal and Strickland did move the pile forward better this game than I thought they did last season, but it's tough when the pile is one yard past the line of scrimmage.

Big takeaway is that at least yesterday we seem to have figured out how to punch in red zone TDs.
Spread to run still works and it's amazing it took coaches forty years to figure out that it's easier for fast guys when they don't have piles of obesity in the way

I did like our ability to punch in a few short yardage TDs on the ground, which we couldn’t do last year even against lesser opponents.

The oline blocking looked marginally better than last year. There were some holes, but they weren’t large and they didn’t stay open long. I still see Strick running into the rear end of an o lineman more than I’d like. When moe came in, he at least made some cuts to hit the gaps even if it was only for 3-4 yards.

I’m concerned that Dungey generated 2/3 of the rushing yards. That’s really no different than last year. It’s only one game though. We’ll see in two weeks.

I was disappointed in a couple things:

1. The OL didn't create good running lanes. They had some push but was mostly upfield in a straight line. Few holes. And then our RBs run straight into the piles (of course those are the play calls so they went where they were supposed to).

2. I wish there would be some more outside runs. Strick had a good outside run early on (15 yds) then most other outside runs were Dungey improvising. If I was a D-coordinator against Babers offense I would stack all my Def in the middle.

One poster earlier this week (forgot who) said the running plays they didn't want to see was: 1,3,2,1,4,1,48,1,3,2,1. Unfortunately, that is what our RB yardage looked like for the most part.

Florida rushing stats in 2009. Tebow’s senior season. Stats include bowl game.

06F13679-5B1B-45F8-99C1-972256249791.jpeg

I take it for what it was. 300+ yards rushing. It's not like this is an outlier for Dungey. Sure it was a ACC record rushing for a QB, but he led the team last year as well. QB, be it ED or TD, are going to be part of the run game in this system. I take this as a huge positive.

Passing game is another story. Only 1 WR (Custis) with a reception is scary as hell. Dungey didn't help with some really bad passes, but there were at least 3 or 4 drops. We need someone to step up. I'm really surprised we didn't see any of the young WR's get a chance. It was obvious Butler didn't show up. How do you know what you have with these young guys if they don't get a chance in a game?

You can’t discount the holes that were open on the read option, and that’s a credit to the offensive line. Dungey made the right reads and gained a lot of yards.

I throw out most of the fourth quarter because SU was trying to run time off the clock, we’re running straight up the gut, and WMU was stacked in the box ready for it.

Moe found some solid holes in the first half and hit them hard. Dontae still struggles with vision and patience. Was hoping to see Howard get some run. Could they be trying to redshirt him this year?

I was disappointed in a couple things:

1. The OL didn't create good running lanes. They had some push but was mostly upfield in a straight line. Few holes. And then our RBs run straight into the piles (of course those are the play calls so they went where they were supposed to).

Respectfully disagree. At the point of attack, the holes were there. LB's did a good job filling in the holes from the second level. If we need to fix that, OK.

Often, RPO linemen are taught to pull up on their blocks, to keep from getting 3 yds down field(in the event of a pass). I believe those habits translate into designed run plays. Not just for us. If you do a little research, you'll see that the NFL feels that there is an Oline crisis, in that they have to teach incoming linemen how to run block. It's not just about having a hand in the dirt.

Some quotes on how spread offenses effect line play.

The college spread offense, a frequent object of scorn among NFL evaluators, plays a major role. Most offensive linemen play in systems reliant on screens, quick passes and misdirection, which means they enter the NFL accustomed to rarely hitting beyond their initial block or having had to thwart a pass rusher’s secondary moves.

“The tempo is so fast in college now that the techniques just aren’t taught like they used to be,” Schwartz said. “Now it’s about guys trying to get back to the line of scrimmage and not finish. The spread offenses are nothing like the offenses you run in the NFL, so guys come in just not as prepared.”

“If you’re running a spread offense in the college game, almost nothing translates to the NFL,”

So... For us, if the OLine gets that initial hole, at the point of attack? Its what they're being taught, and it's part of the system design. I think they did that.

The line is better, not sure how much better than last year but it's better. A few of Dungey's run were designed runs and he got some nice blocking on them. A bunch of runs were also in power packages intended to get short yardage. I think against better teams we'll try to run after we spread out the defense.

The WRs should get a lot of credit here. Tough day catching the ball for Butler but their work keeping the corners out of the play, giving Dungey more room.

And even though the yards per carry were low I thought Strickland and Neal did well to keep moving forward. They were forced to run in tight spots and they managed to find them.

Goal line running was also very good. Didn’t get the last one but we essentially ran the same play over and over. Eventually they just crashed it. Dungey bootlegs on 4th down and he moonwalks to the end zone.

Florida rushing stats in 2009. Tebow’s senior season. Stats include bowl game.

View attachment 138273
Tebow was able to stay healthy. Dungey is legit, a top 5 QB in CFB this year if he can stay healthy. Problem is he hasn’t, and until he does, there is zero comparison to Tim Tebow and how they schemed the offense around him at UF.

Old Man on the Porch Here. For year's I've been an advocate of the two back system that everyone used in my youth. A big back for the power running. A fast guy to run sweeps and go our for passes. You don't know which guy is going to get the ball. You can fake to one and give it to the other. You can have quick developing reverses, (like the scissors play), as opposed to end-arounds. One guy can be a lead blocker for the other. the Baltimore Colts in the Unitas Era, when they had Alan Ameche at fullback and Lenny Moore at halfback were my model. Those teams weren't shy about putting the ball in the air but had a versatile running attack as well.

Essentially, we, (and other teams I've watched play today), do have two running backs in the backfield: the one designated as a running back and the quarterback. The quarterback can actually have more success running as the defense will focus on the running back. Perhaps as the season goes along and they focus on Dungey, the conventional runs will have more success. Still it seems obvious that if you are going to set yourself up with a single running back that the quarter will have to do more and more running and is more likely to be injured.

I wonder what our offense would be like with Strickland playing as an old-fashioned fullback, like Ameche and Neal as an old fashioned halfback, which would put him on an 'island' with defenders a lot more than we are seeing now. Instead, we've bulked Neal up by 20-25 pounds so he can take the pounding inside. Was that really the best way to use him?

Old Man on the Porch Here. For year's I've been an advocate of the two back system that everyone used in my youth. A big back for the power running. A fast guy to run sweeps and go our for passes. You don't know which guy is going to get the ball. You can fake to one and give it to the other. You can have quick developing reverses, (like the scissors play), as opposed to end-arounds. One guy can be a lead blocker for the other. the Baltimore Colts in the Unitas Era, when they had Alan Ameche at fullback and Lenny Moore at halfback were my model. Those teams weren't shy about putting the ball in the air but had a versatile running attack as well.

Essentially, we, (and other teams I've watched play today), do have two running backs in the backfield: the one designated as a running back and the quarterback. The quarterback can actually have more success running as the defense will focus on the running back. Perhaps as the season goes along and they focus on Dungey, the conventional runs will have more success. Still it seems obvious that if you are going to set yourself up with a single running back that the quarter will have to do more and more running and is more likely to be injured.

I wonder what our offense would be like with Strickland playing as an old-fashioned fullback, like Ameche and Neal as an old fashioned halfback, which would put him on an 'island' with defenders a lot more than we are seeing now. Instead, we've bulked Neal up by 20-25 pounds so he can take the pounding inside. Was that really the best way to use him?
We have a two back system. Dungey is one of them

We have a two back system. Dungey is one of them

"Essentially, we, (and other teams I've watched play today), do have two running backs in the backfield: the one designated as a running back and the quarterback. "

if you rewatch, the blocking in the first half was fine, the backs had several nice holes, once devito came in and WM really attacked it became much harder to run. Devito had a couple nice holes too.

I take it for what it was. 300+ yards rushing. It's not like this is an outlier for Dungey. Sure it was a ACC record rushing for a QB, but he led the team last year as well. QB, be it ED or TD, are going to be part of the run game in this system. I take this as a huge positive.

Passing game is another story. Only 1 WR (Custis) with a reception is scary as hell. Dungey didn't help with some really bad passes, but there were at least 3 or 4 drops. We need someone to step up. I'm really surprised we didn't see any of the young WR's get a chance. It was obvious Butler didn't show up. How do you know what you have with these young guys if they don't get a chance in a game?
What ACC rushing record?

I did like our ability to punch in a few short yardage TDs on the ground, which we couldn’t do last year even against lesser opponents.

The oline blocking looked marginally better than last year. There were some holes, but they weren’t large and they didn’t stay open long. I still see Strick running into the rear end of an o lineman more than I’d like. When moe came in, he at least made some cuts to hit the gaps even if it was only for 3-4 yards.

I’m concerned that Dungey generated 2/3 of the rushing yards. That’s really no different than last year. It’s only one game though. We’ll see in two weeks.

That's the biggest thing in my eyes = three short yardage and goal, and we score running through the middle on each of them. I still have nightmares of getting stuffed 7 times in a row against Iowa years ago.

That's the biggest thing in my eyes = three short yardage and goal, and we score running through the middle on each of them. I still have nightmares of getting stuffed 7 times in a row against Iowa years ago.
I’m haunted by that game. How do you do so little w/ Perry Paterson’s size?

I interpret our 300 yards rushing as that nearly 200 of those yards were from our WR's not being able to get open/get separation, and Dungey doing what he has to do to keep the chains moving. I'd like 100 of those yards turned into passing yards to any receiver other that Custis.
We had 1 WR catch a ball yesterday...let that sink in. In total only 4 people caught a pass with Pierce catching a few, and the others being a couple dump off's to RB's...this is not a recipe to get to 6 wins.

I interpret our 300 yards rushing as that nearly 200 of those yards were from our WR's not being able to get open/get separation, and Dungey doing what he has to do to keep the chains moving. I'd like 100 of those yards turned into passing yards to any receiver other that Custis.
We had 1 WR catch a ball yesterday...let that sink in. In total only 4 people caught a pass with Pierce catching a few, and the others being a couple dump off's to RB's...this is not a recipe to get to 6 wins.

You think that it continues? I don’t. N.Johnson takes over for Riley, S.Johnson for Butler (or maybe one of our talented freshman splits reps)

The staff and ED didn’t forget how to throw the ball

But, most of those 200 yards were not a result of WR's not getting open, they were a result of Dungey reading the defense and deciding whether to give to the RB or keep it. The two longest runs were read option plays. They were designed runs. They worked like they're supposed to.

But, most of those 200 yards were not a result of WR's not getting open, they were a result of Dungey reading the defense and deciding whether to give to the RB or keep it. The two longest runs were read option plays. They were designed runs. They worked like they're supposed to.
The bigger point is that if running Dungey on 70 % of your plays is the recipe for a W this year, I'm afraid we'll be without our main ingredient by game 3. Heck, he was gimpy after game 1. We need reliable options other than Dungey running.

You think that it continues? I don’t. N.Johnson takes over for Riley, S.Johnson for Butler (or maybe one of our talented freshman splits reps)

The staff and ED didn’t forget how to throw the ball
I agree. Time to replace Riley. 3 years and he has done nothing from scrimmage and the return game. The only thing he has done is drop the game winning score in the LSU game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom