So... I think it's going to be us and Nova in the East | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So... I think it's going to be us and Nova in the East

Not if they beat us to win the ACCt. I'd give them the one seed if that happens. A two loss conference record in a power conference is enough for a one seed ANY year.

I don't see how they have 6 losses, their non conf body of work is weak, and they played the easier of the acc schedules.

Uva lost their chance to get a one seed today.
Especially in the East/MSG. There's no draw to that.

People are thinking too much about our recent struggle, too little about other teams losses, and too little about overall body of work. Obviously the conference tournament results will matter, but that's always been true. We're in the driver's seat. Everyone around us that we needed to see take a hit this week did.

Syracuse , Nova, Virginia in contention for that last one seed in East.

The problem is, if UVA gets the 1 in the East, we can't be in the East.

I think we will be seeded higher than Duke because I don't think they win the ACCt.

Our only obstacle to the 1 or 2 in the East right would be UVA.

You could be right, but I've already put down Virgina losing their first game of the ACC tourney, in ink.

If I was a betting man I'd go Duke- Nova. Were heading west. Sorry to all who have purchased MSG tickets already. (As an aside, I don't bet because I suck at it, so props to you who have purchased MSG tickets!) ;)

No way you have to look at overall resume vs just the end of the year.

Orange2389 said:
Syracuse , Nova, Virginia in contention for that last one seed in East.

I agree with this. If virginia beats unc then cuse/duke they still got a shot. If we win out we're getting it. Nova needs us to lose to get it. If nova and UVA win out it will be a tossup between those 2.

hate to use this, because it's probably the most overused of the overused sayings this time of year, but…
lots of basketball to be played

hate to use this, because it's probably the most overused of the overused sayings this time of year, but…
lots of basketball to be played
Friday is a long way away man lol. Just watch the next 5 days, we're gonna go bonkers with projections and assumptions.

Most intriguing about Nova-Cuse in the East is the fact that if Cuse gets the 2 in the East, no matter who gets the one would have a legitimate gripe about having to play Cuse in the regional at MSG. Except, Nova ... the wouldn't have a leg to stand on as they are much closer to MSG and will have just played their conference tourney there.

I tend to agree but lets enjoy the ACCT first. I'm ecstatic that it looks probably we will see the rubber game with Duke.

I wouldn't have even bothered reading this thread if we hadn't had a huge win today .. we're BACK! .. and its nice to enjoy these debates again.

too early to say one way or the other. The last 1 seed is up in the air with 6 teams still in the mix for me : Villanova, Wisconsin, Syracuse,Kansas, Michigan and Virginia. The only thing this weekend did for me is solidify the top 10 teams on my s curve pending any bad losses in conference tourneys

What I learned...pretty much every team has a weak resume except Syracuse.

No way you have to look at overall resume vs just the end of the year.
Overall resume? Who are you Digger Phelps? Oh wait that is 'On a mission' ;) I'm just funnin' with ya. Like I said, my intuition sucks. Hope Syracuse wins the dang ACC tourney so the NCAA committee doesn't get to choose.

They have a higher SOS?

They are expected to have around #20-25, and us around #60-65 in terms of SOS.

But in reality the schedules are very similar.
Top 25 Games - Syracuse 5, Nova 4
26-50 Games - Nova 4, Syracuse 3
51-100 Games - Nova 10, Syracuse 8

To me that is pretty much equal. And the gap in top 25 games could be Syracuse 7 - Nova 5 after next weekend. We have 3 elite top 25 wins, and Nova only 1. But we have 2 bad losses, and Nova has none... so 3 minus 2 vs 1 minus 0, if we look at outliers.

We could get 2 more elite wins by winning the ACC - Nova can only get 1. Using my simple equation above for comparing the two (Elite Wins - Bad Losses) that would put us ahead.

How far is Memphis from Virginia ? Not sure it matters if virg gets NYC or Memphis
UVa is 300 miles closer to NYC than Memphis. Their choice would be to go to NYC.

If we win ACC tourney we're getting east 1. Nova won't get it over us, they beat Kansas and that's about it. Plus we spanked them at the dome. We control our own destiny for east 1.

We don't even have to win the whole thing. As long as we go farther than Duke and UVA we lock up the East. If Nova stumbles in the NNNBE Tourney, then their shot at #1 in the East goes bye bye.

At the end of the day we spent longer at #1 this season than Duke, UVA and Nova. And we will have fewer losses than two of them and we beat Nova head to head. We win two in the ACC and we are in the East and MSG. UVA better be worried as one loss can become two quickly this time of year. UNC could knock them off and play spoiler, especially in Greensboro.

Last edited:
I can't wait for a Nova/Cuse MSG and hear all the idiot talking heads talking about an SU home game when Philly is closer to NYC than Syracuse.

Just because of the conference rules the NCAA has, it seems like whoever does better in the ACCT will get placed in the east region (I'm not saying any of them will be a 1 seed). Only one of us, Duke, or UVA can be there. I still maintain the the committee will look for any reason to keep us out of there. If I had to predict now, I'd say Duke will be the #2 seed in the east and we will be sent packing.

Just because of the conference rules the NCAA has, it seems like whoever does better in the ACCT will get placed in the east region (I'm not saying any of them will be a 1 seed). Only one of us, Duke, or UVA can be there. I still maintain the the committee will look for any reason to keep us out of there. If I had to predict now, I'd say Duke will be the #2 seed in the east and we will be sent packing.

Duke has SEVEN losses, including one against us, and four teams we beat. They are about a four seed. If they get higher than that after we beat them Saturday the committee is a joke.

I agree with you that the committee will jump at any opportunity to give SU the screw job.

giphy.gif

Palm says ACC fans (that's us now) think they have a birthright to a 1-seed but none of the the top three are deserving. UVA killed by weak OOC and that no team with two bad losses has ever gotten a 1 seed - both Duke and SU have two bad losses. Everyone still seems to be missing the fact that @Duke is the only loss this year you could argue we were at full strength.

Palm says ACC fans (that's us now) think they have a birthright to a 1-seed but none of the the top three are deserving. UVA killed by weak OOC and that no team with two bad losses has ever gotten a 1 seed - both Duke and SU have two bad losses. Everyone still seems to be missing the fact that @Duke is the only loss this year you could argue we were at full strength.

Kansas lost to TCU last year and still got a 1!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom