So is it Safe to Assume with JB making the public statement he did | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So is it Safe to Assume with JB making the public statement he did

I think the problem that you guys are forgetting is that this is the new way of College athletics.

this is likely going to happen almost every year on now with the transfer rules likely to be super relaxed.

Not saying JB isn’t at fault here but this is the reality of the college game now. There is absolutely nothing to tie the kids to a school.
To THIS extent though???

And why was Kadary leaving such a story, then?

Looking like we’re getting hit worse than pretty much anyone. Hopefully we’ll end up bringing in more talent than we lose. Otherwise it could be a long year next year.

You can’t lose players like Kadary and just expect to replace them. Our recruiting hasn’t been that good where we can just expect to replace him. We should have been doing what we could to keep them. JB’s ego got in the way here.

I think the problem that you guys are forgetting is that this is the new way of College athletics.

this is likely going to happen almost every year on now with the transfer rules likely to be super relaxed.

Not saying JB isn’t at fault here but this is the reality of the college game now. There is absolutely nothing to tie the kids to a school.

I never thought I'd see the day that 18 year old kids can make demands and hold schools hostage.

This is the Twilight Zone with Billy Mumy. You better be nice to me or I'll send your team into the cornfield.

200.gif

He has to say something.

Hes in the process of driving away the entire roster so he can bring his other kid in to play 40 mins per night.

We've never lost a player like Kadary to transfer. Its not over.

If you were transfering why would you annouce today and be overshadowed by Kadary?
He’s not “driving away” the roster. He’s the coach of a major college team, who has been extremely successful, and he does things his way. But we live in an age of instant gratification, coupled with relaxed ncaa restrictions, and fan bases who fuel dissent through social media. It’s going on all over.

I never thought I'd see the day that 18 year old kids can make demands and hold schools hostage.

This is the Twilight Zone with Billy Mumy. You better be nice to me or I'll send your team into the cornfield.

200.gif

It's weird, I don't recall having to sit out a year of school when I decided Syracuse University fit my future plans better than SUNY ESF when I transferred.

Awwww man remember that time before kadary announced his transfer and you all saw the world melting. We were all optimistic and agreed covid and missing practices and (losing sidibe) greatly hindered this season. So explain to me how 19-14 was this teams cieling. Without those factors lol
As a fan of SU and also Arsenal in the English Premier League, I can't help seeing the parallels between the two teams. Both led by long time coaches, with stellar careers and much success. Arsenal are further along the arc than SU is, but if you want to see what happened after they kicked the legendary coach out, it is a cautionary tale.

The grass isn't always greener on the the other side, despite it looking that way from a distance. Don't ever think that things can't get worse, because they very much can.
Exactly this

First off he did NOT build any dynasty! Having many wins for someone that has coached for 40+ years is not unusual. JAB has shown that his focus, until he is done, is that the offense will run through Buddy no matter what. He doesn't care what anyone thinks as he knows he will be retired soon. At this point he is holding the program hostage based on his desires. I use to be a JB fan through the 80's & 90's. I really started questioning his scheme after having so many great teams with loads of talent and they would under perform at critical times. This lead to many soul crushing defeats come tournament time. If it were not for 2003 JB would probably be considered the most over rated coach in collage basketball. This is NOT a knee jerk reaction, you seem like the type of person that will stay the course not matter how bad things get. Keeping JB in charge will not lead to any thing different then we have seen since joining the ACC. He is actually HURTING the program now!! It is very apparent that he has shown that no other player on the team will be the focus. That is why KR said he wanted to go somewhere that he can show his talent. Getting yelled at during games or criticized during post games interviews by an archaic coach doesn't work anymore with today's athletes. He is the new Bobby Knight of college basketball.

Again...My wish is that the JAB era was over now!!
Lol look at what happend at indiana, getting the splash hire is no gurantee to greatness i am warning you be careful what you wish for syracuse is not exactly a destination city to live in. More people are speaking out of emotion. The portal is a giant opportunity to improve this team. The sky is not falling until the roster is concrete so yea your being a whiny baby.things havent been up to par of what we are use to as respect to the big east but we are very fortunate and spoiled for what we have experienced.

As a fan of SU and also Arsenal in the English Premier League, I can't help seeing the parallels between the two teams. Both led by long time coaches, with stellar careers and much success. Arsenal are further along the arc than SU is, but if you want to see what happened after they kicked the legendary coach out, it is a cautionary tale.

The grass isn't always greener on the the other side, despite it looking that way from a distance. Don't ever think that things can't get worse, because they very much can.
You will enjoy this bad boy from 2014.

OrangeFoo called it.

The AD is going to do nothing as JB doubles down and brings in his other kid to play 35/night.

I'm not sure he'll even get JB to step down when Buddy leaves. JB will keep pushing for one more year and then quit midseason so Gerry or Red get the job and we are put int he position of firng them without giving them a chance.
You mean the AD isn’t going to fire the legendary coach who’s coming off a sweet 16 and has been here 45 years?

when you have a legendary coach, three things are typically true:

1) you were lucky to have him/her
2) it’s usually a little messy/ugly/less than amazing at the end.
3) it can be a long process ultimately finding the right replacement.

It’s no fun being a program that has taken a step back but I think we’re living thru the reality of a trade off for the previous 49 years or so.

Lol look at what happend at indiana, getting the splash hire is no gurantee to greatness i am warning you be careful what you wish for syracuse is not exactly a destination city to live in. More people are speaking out of emotion. The portal is a giant opportunity to improve this team. The sky is not falling until the roster is concrete so yea your being a whiny baby.things havent been up to par of what we are use to as respect to the big east but we are very fortunate and spoiled for what we have experienced.
Since you mentioned Indiana I will mention North Carolina. They have gone through 4 coaches since Dean Smith left in '98. All four made the ncaa tournament, all but Matt Doherty won the conference championship and all had winning records. You don't need to "warn" to be careful what I wish for. I am looking forward to the change and can't wait until he is gone. I am WISHING it would happen now but it will not until Buddy's collage career is over. No need to talk about "being a whiny baby" as that just show's how immature you are and don't like different opinions.

If this is true Jb lost the whole team. In the past with kids having to sit a year and with Hop disasters like this were avoided. This is very bad. You dont have
Bras
Griff
Frank
Kadary
Woody
All leave unless something is seriously wrong. Jim lost his team. You cant overcome something like this and the AD cant turn a blind eye to it. Unmitigated disaster.

must be a lot of ADs thinking the same thing and having discussions with their coaches.

Since you mentioned Indiana I will mention North Carolina. They have gone through 4 coaches since Dean Smith left in '98. All four made the ncaa tournament, all but Matt Doherty won the conference championship and all had winning records. You don't need to "warn" to be careful what I wish for. I am looking forward to the change and can't wait until he is gone. I am WISHING it would happen now but it will not until Buddy's collage career is over. No need to talk about "being a whiny baby" as that just show's how immature you are and don't like different opinions.
College*

Lmao. The man built a phenomenal program and gave close to 50 years of his life to it. If you want to argue against dynasty fine. But seriously? We’re Keith smart, fab and onuaku away from maybe having another title or two and every year we were at least competitive. If JB’s replacement isn’t coach k, this board will completely implode.
I have a friend that is a die hard Duke fan. He says their message board does the same thing to Coach K. The game has passed him by. Hasn't won a title in x amount of years. This player transferred because K is stupid and didn't play him. Gets great players and doesn't know how to coach them up...etc.

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of fans have completely unrealistic expectations.

must be a lot of ADs thinking the same thing and having discussions with their coaches.
If Woody and Frank won’t we have more than any other P5 team leaving that doesn’t involve a coaching change?

This is an interesting point though. You’re sick of mediocrity and I don’t think any of us are exactly living life on the bubble. Yet anything other than JB is seen as an excuse. We’ll see I guess. Everyone is so anxious for him to retire but there’s a very real chance that JB is our only connection to what our former identity was.

Ask Maryland fans who couldn’t wait to get rid of gary Williams how things are working out with Turgeon, who was a big name hire at the time. He’s been fine, but not exactly killing things. one sweet 16 since 2011. I mean it’s just not a given. JB hasn’t been great the past 6-7 years but there are other factors we may be contending with here, IMO.
What type of other factors?

JB is in charge of recruiting, roster management, player development, offense, defense and every detail about this program. What other factor comes anywhere close to him?

You mean the AD isn’t going to fire the legendary coach who’s coming off a sweet 16 and has been here 45 years?

when you have a legendary coach, three things are typically true:

1) you were lucky to have him/her
2) it’s usually a little messy/ugly/less than amazing at the end.
3) it can be a long process ultimately finding the right replacement.

It’s no fun being a program that has taken a step back but I think we’re living thru the reality of a trade off for the previous 49 years or so.
I agree with the first couple of points but I really have to push back on the third. There are lots and lots of successful examples of legends handing off the reigns to a replacement or a guy replacing a legend that have gone remarkably smoothly or been fairly successful. Here are some examples. Yes, there are varying degrees of success here and varying degrees of programs, but many have similar characteristics to Syracuse.

1.) Izzo replaced Heathcoat and actually built on and had more sustained success than his mentor.
2.) despite a failure to reach a Final Four, Matt Painter has done wonders at Purdue sustaining his mentor Gene Keady’s success in an incredibly competitive conference.
3.) Roy Williams has won more titles than his mentor Dean Smith at UNC. Yes there was a small 2 or 3-year blip of difficulty with Matt Doherty, but most people knew Roy would come home if Doherty flamed out.
4.) Bill Self did fairly well replacing Roy at Kansas. I’d say 13 straight conference titles is pretty good.
5.) Chris Holtman righted the ship at Ohio State after Thad Matta’s health issues.
6.) Louisville has gone from legend Denny Crum to legend Rick Pitino to Chris Mack. The jury is out on Mack but he had huge success at Xavier so he should do well.
7.) speaking of Xavier, they’ve had years of sustained success under a myriad of coaches, from Matta to Skip Prosser to Sean Miller to Mack to Travis Steele.
8.) Brian Dutcher has continued the success that his mentor Steve Fisher started at San Diego State.
9.) Michigan went from legend John Beilein, the all time wins leader at the school, to Juwan Howard, who in his first year had a top 5 team that won the Big 10 and made it to the Elite Eight.
10.) Arizona had a brief period of turmoil following Lute Olsen’s health issues and subsequent retirement. But Sean Miller, despite not making a Final Four, had Arizona near the top of the conference every season.
11.) Even Kentucky and UCLA have done really well. No one was gonna equal Wooden’s success at UCLA, but good coaches from Larry Brown to Ben Howland to Mick Cronin (even mediocre ones like Harrick and Alford) have kept UCLA relevant. They’ve almost always been at the upper echelon of their conference, even if they’re not winning 12 national titles. Same with Kentucky.
12.) after Rollie left, Steve Lappas kept Villanova in the upper echelon of the Big East (even if his tourney results weren’t stellar) until Jay Wright came along and took it to the next level.

Sure, there are a few examples of programs like Indiana that have struggled. But even Indiana had some success under Crean.

Great programs with great facilities, great fan bases, big revenues and great recruiting territory make for great coaches. Syracuse is one of those type of programs.

I keep seeing people referencing that Jimmy said something, but the only thing I saw was the fasten your safety belts. Am I missing something?

College*
Since you are critiquing.....

Expand...

* No period needed here

I agree with the first couple of points but I really have to push back on the third. There are lots and lots of successful examples of legends handing off the reigns to a replacement or a guy replacing a legend that have gone remarkably smoothly or been fairly successful. Here are some examples. Yes, there are varying degrees of success here and varying degrees of programs, but many have similar characteristics to Syracuse.

1.) Izzo replaced Heathcoat and actually built on and had more sustained success than his mentor.
2.) despite a failure to reach a Final Four, Matt Painter has done wonders at Purdue sustaining his mentor Gene Keady’s success in an incredibly competitive conference.
3.) Roy Williams has won more titles than his mentor Dean Smith at UNC. Yes there was a small 2 or 3-year blip of difficulty with Matt Doherty, but most people knew Roy would come home if Doherty flamed out.
4.) Bill Self did fairly well replacing Roy at Kansas. I’d say 13 straight conference titles is pretty good.
5.) Chris Holtman righted the ship at Ohio State after Thad Matta’s health issues.
6.) Louisville has gone from legend Denny Crum to legend Rick Pitino to Chris Mack. The jury is out on Mack but he had huge success at Xavier so he should do well.
7.) speaking of Xavier, they’ve had years of sustained success under a myriad of coaches, from Matta to Skip Prosser to Sean Miller to Mack to Travis Steele.
8.) Brian Dutcher has continued the success that his mentor Steve Fisher started at San Diego State.
9.) Michigan went from legend John Beilein, the all time wins leader at the school, to Juwan Howard, who in his first year had a top 5 team that won the Big 10 and made it to the Elite Eight.
10.) Arizona had a brief period of turmoil following Lute Olsen’s health issues and subsequent retirement. But Sean Miller, despite not making a Final Four, had Arizona near the top of the conference every season.
11.) Even Kentucky and UCLA have done really well. No one was gonna equal Wooden’s success at UCLA, but good coaches from Larry Brown to Ben Howland to Mick Cronin (even mediocre ones like Harrick and Alford) have kept UCLA relevant. They’ve almost always been at the upper echelon of their conference, even if they’re not winning 12 national titles. Same with Kentucky.
12.) after Rollie left, Steve Lappas kept Villanova in the upper echelon of the Big East (even if his tourney results weren’t stellar) until Jay Wright came along and took it to the next level.

Sure, there are a few examples of programs like Indiana that have struggled. But even Indiana had some success under Crean.

Great programs with great facilities, great fan bases, big revenues and great recruiting territory make for great coaches. Syracuse is one of those type of programs.
Great post, really enjoyed reading through this.

Now that Boehiem has run off Kadary the next piece of crap we're gonna hear is how Jimmy is the best fit for what we do and is transferring here.....

He’s not “driving away” the roster. He’s the coach of a major college team, who has been extremely successful, and he does things his way. But we live in an age of instant gratification, coupled with relaxed ncaa restrictions, and fan bases who fuel dissent through social media. It’s going on all over.
we fans don't get to see the practices. we really can't judge the talent we see based solely on the game minutes we observe. you truly have to see the practices to understand who's ready to contribute and who's not game worthy. only then will you have an informed opinion

jim-boeheim-asleepjpg-8aa34069cbbf8b69.jpg