So Izzo called out one of his players tonight | Syracusefan.com

So Izzo called out one of his players tonight

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
Said Matt Costello was still on the bus at halftime. Basically the same thing as JB calling out Roberson, yet I have a feeling Izzo will be praised because Costello and the team responded with a big 2nd half. I have no problem with what he did or said, and it sure worked. But it's ridiculous that JB was getting roasted in some mediums for doing that...

Let's hope Roberson responds in a similar fashion on Saturday.

Can't compare players

Costello is a tough hard nosed positive player

Roberson always has his head down, VERY quiet , never says a word

Time will tell how Roberson reacts

Said Matt Costello was still on the bus at halftime. Basically the same thing as JB calling out Roberson, yet I have a feeling Izzo will be praised because Costello and the team responded with a big 2nd half. I have no problem with what he did or said, and it sure worked. But it's ridiculous that JB was getting roasted in some mediums for doing that...

Maybe it's context? Definitely a different vibe between saying something like that after a win than after a loss. Like kicking someone while they're down versus, "hey we dodge a bullet but there's some stuff to be worried about".

Maybe it's context? Definitely a different vibe between saying something like that after a win than after a loss. Like kicking someone while they're down versus, "hey we dodge a bullet but there's some stuff to be worried about".
except that he said at halftime of a close game after Costello played like crap

Jasoncuse said:
Said Matt Costello was still on the bus at halftime. Basically the same thing as JB calling out Roberson, yet I have a feeling Izzo will be praised because Costello and the team responded with a big 2nd half. I have no problem with what he did or said, and it sure worked. But it's ridiculous that JB was getting roasted in some mediums for doing that... Let's hope Roberson responds in a similar fashion on Saturday.

And like someone else said in another thread, if you actually listen to the presser, it's not near what some posters tried to make it.

Can't compare players

That is just personality though. Roberson's motor may be up and down, be he acts the same and looks the same whether it is going 150 mph or idling. I certainly hope that is not a problem for JB. The coach knows him better than any of us so I certainly hope his comment wasn't just related to TR's outward demeanor.

Can't compare players

It isn't about the players or what the impact is. The debate was over whether the tactic was an appropriate way to motivate any player. If it is an appropriate way to try to reach kids then it isn't for the fans to debate whether it is an appropriate method with a particular player, no one is in a better position than the coach to know that.

Not a fan of what Izzo did either. He was fine when he said "I need our Seniors to be better", but the comments about Costello aren't needed. Keep it behind closed doors, or you know, pay the players and criticize them like they are pros.

2-3zone said:
Can't compare players Costello is a tough hard nosed positive player Roberson always has his head down, VERY quiet , never says a word Time will tell how Roberson reacts
I'm not sure you are in a position to make those assessments about either player. Maybe I'm wrong and you know them both extremely well, like their coaches. If so, I stand corrected.
But, if I had to guess, it's more likely that you don't like Boeheim and that's why you say the players are motivated in completely different ways and JB is wrong while Izzo is right.

Can't compare players

Don't know if this was mentioned in another thread but during Boeheim's interview with Brent at 5:30 yesterday he said very specifically that he was trying to motivate Roberson, that he has talked to him in private and in groups, that they have shown him film of his getting after the ball and of his not getting after it, that he has pointed out things to him in practice. He went into some detail. Sounds like he has tried everything to unlock the Roberson potential box and it hasn't worked.

Don't know if this was mentioned in another thread but during Boeheim's interview with Brent at 5:30 yesterday he said very specifically that he was trying to motivate Roberson, that he has talked to him in private and in groups, that they have shown him film of his getting after the ball and of his not getting after it, that he has pointed out things to him in practice. He went into some detail. Sounds like he has tried everything to unlock the Roberson potential box and it hasn't worked.

Read that article linked in another thread and agree we all went too far on bashing JB. But after reading that and reading your comments here, I hope JB means on both ends of the floor about rebounding, and not just offensive rebounding. I really want JB and the coaching staff to unlock the full Roberson box and not just the offensive rebounding demon we've seen a few times this year.

The statements and context in which they were said were completely different, I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

Izzo had a press conference at the half?
was one of those interviews where the courtside reporter catches the coach on the way to locker room

was one of those interviews where the courtside reporter catches the coach on the way to locker room
So he was ambushed and speaking in the heat of the moment. He's still the best there is at shaping these youngsters into the type of young men I'd be proud to have my daughter marry.

So he was ambushed and speaking in the heat of the moment. He's still the best there is at shaping these youngsters into the type of young men I'd be proud to have my daughter marry.
no not ambushed, those interviews are pre-arranged - he knew he was going to be interviewed - that interview was obviously viewed/listened to by a vastly bigger audience (primetime live espn) than JB's presser

no not ambushed, those interviews are pre-arranged - he knew he was going to be interviewed - that interview was obviously viewed/listened to by a vastly bigger audience (primetime live espn) than JB's presser
Oh, I know. My comment was pure sarcasm.

It isn't about the players or what the impact is. The debate was over whether the tactic was an appropriate way to motivate any player. If it is an appropriate way to try to reach kids then it isn't for the fans to debate whether it is an appropriate method with a particular player, no one is in a better position than the coach to know that.
I would agree with this. But then the question becomes whether a motivating factor when JB publicly criticizes players is him venting partly because he likes to vent or because he's criticizing a player as soon as he believes the player is looking to go pro (too early in JB's estimation)? I think it is one or both of these latter possibilities which have some people taking umbrage. Umbrage I say!

and if you listened to Izzo's post game you also heard terms like "that was completely my fault" and "thad coached a helluva lot better than i did" . "was unhappy with them but more unhappy with myself"." poor rotation on my part.
just didn't get much (any) personal accountability like that from JB.

Last edited:
and if you listened to Izzo's post game you also heard terms like "that was completely my fault" and "thad coached a helluva lot better than i did" . just didn't get much (any) personal accountability like that from JB.
Right, right. I've never heard JB credit an opposing team or player or coach in 40 years. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom