So Moyer | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't think his high ankle sprain hampered his development, affected his play and cost him playing time? You'd be wrong then.

No. He performed just as poorly as he did pre ankle sprain as he did post sprain. Recruiting isn't a perfect science and unfortunately for SU, they've had their fair share of busts over the years. I'm not calling Moyer that just yet, but he's a player that has way more cons than pros at this point time. With Bazley, Brissett and Dolezaj, it will be very difficult to get minutes if he doesn't show improvement. He needs to be in the gym round the clock this offseason.

i don't want to see MnM go anywhere. i was a bigger fan than JB was. i like his game and like his energy.

I'll be honest. Matt didn't show as much as I was hoping this year even before the injury. But to say he was never in the circle of trust is just boner playing loose with the facts again. That's a decent number of minutes at the beginning of the year for never being in the circle of trust.

Matthew Moyer

I guess nobody is clicking that link??
The haters don't want to, since it shows that he had numerous solid games, BEFORE he got hurt.

Cornell - 4 & 10
Toledo - 11 & 7
UConn - 18 & 8
GTown - 6 & 11
Buffalo - 12 & 9
VaTech - 11 & 13
Wake - 5 & 8
UVa - 6 & 5
FSU - 7 & 10

Clearly the coaches think he sucks, and he has shown zero signs of being able to play and contribute at this level. Also - the injury had no effect on him, nor did Marek's emergence.
Moyer should quit playing basketball and focus on the violin.
We couldn't possibly use some experienced depth at Forward during any part of the next 3 years. Also - he will never improve, this is his ceiling. :rolleyes:

Moyer isn't going anywhere, he is the "glue" a good team needs, positive attitude, ton of energy and I truly believe he will shine defensively

As others have said, he's young, he's a 4 (5 year player) team championship teams need

I guess nobody is clicking that link??
The haters don't want to, since it shows that he had numerous solid games, BEFORE he got hurt.

Cornell - 4 & 10
Toledo - 11 & 7
UConn - 18 & 8
GTown - 6 & 11
Buffalo - 12 & 9
VaTech - 11 & 13
Wake - 5 & 8
UVa - 6 & 5
FSU - 7 & 10

Clearly the coaches think he sucks, and he has shown zero signs of being able to play and contribute at this level. Also - the injury had no effect on him, nor did Marek's emergence.
Moyer should quit playing basketball and focus on the violin.
We couldn't possibly use some experienced depth at Forward during any part of the next 3 years. Also - he will never improve, this is his ceiling. :rolleyes:

People evaluate based upon what they see. Anyone can throw stats out - they're sort of meaningless in a vacuum after the season ends and memories have evaporated a bit...you can't counter-argue very well. Were those all his big minute games? Did the stats come in garbage time? I mean....

I can pull Ron Patterson stats from his Sophomore year, throw them out to 35-40 minutes, and all of a sudden you recognize how insane it was that he wasn't our starting PG:

Patterson's Sophomore campaign (per 37 minutes):
Kenesaw: 10/8/4
St. Johns: 11/7
Colgate: 28/8/5
Va Tech: 16/6/4
Pitt: 17/2
Duke: 5/10/2

Dammmmmmmmmmmmm, we couldn't get that kid starter minutes?? Those are some big name schools he dominated on the regular!

I think he's going to be a great piece to the puzzle, and I'm really anti-running kids off , so, please, please hold onto him. Not my point at all - just have yet to see anything that warrants too much enthusiasm. He seems to be a pretty explosive leaper, which is odd as he seems rather spazzy and uncoordinated otherwise, but he dribbles well enough (without accomplishing anything off the bounce YET), but I've NEVER seen a kid look so awkward at this stage at SU. I mean, he does some things on the court that just straight up make me laugh because it's so out of sorts...my GF even asks if he's a walk-on. She's never asked if Bayer is a walk-on. He lacks a certain fluidity though - which makes him super hard to evaluate. Anyway, as others have said, I think he could be a good glue guy, and maybe more. Good teams NEED those dudes.

Last edited:
3 ppg. 3rpg. 11 % deep.spin it wizard into something magical.
Good to see you highlight the 3-point shooting percentage of a guy who isn't a 3-point shooter. No agenda there.

I've never understood why people are so eager to get rid of kids already on the roster. Well, sometimes I understand it but not in this case. If we keep in mind that the slot Moyer would open up for next year will likely not be filled at this point in the year by someone who could help us (or help us more than Moyer could) next year, then there's no practical reason (to go along with team morale reasons) to encourage his transfer.

I like Moyer. Somebody in this thread said he’s not athletic. Pfft. He doesn’t look athletic but he’s got at least average athleticism for a P5 forward. He’s going to be part of some really good Syracuse teams the rest of the way and don’t discount what a guy like that can bring to a locker room.

I like Moyer. Somebody in this thread said he’s not athletic. Pfft. He doesn’t look athletic but he’s got at least average athleticism for a P5 forward. He’s going to be part of some really good Syracuse teams the rest of the way and don’t discount what a guy like that can bring to a locker room.
He doesn't move like a gazelle, but I've seen him close out on good shooters and block their 3-point shots. Unathletic players don't do that.

3 ppg. 3rpg. 11 % deep.spin it wizard into something magical.
Here, I'll spin it...he has shown vs. high level competition, that he can can be a good-great rebounder, and defender, and can score some. Did he do it every game? No. He isn't consistent. But here is the thing, and stop me if you've heard this...he's a redshirt freshman who played against high level competition for the very first time this year. I just don't understand how anybody can determine a kids 4 year value, by watching him play one year, and in that one year, the player had games where he did nothing, and he had plenty of games where you could see his potential to develop into a kid that can avg. 10 points and 10 rebounds by his senior year.
We need as many capable bodies as we can have. Didn't this year teach us that lesson? I'd be thrilled to have an 8th guy off the bench that has the ability to score 18 points and 8 rebounds vs. UCONN, or 11 points and 13 rebounds vs. Tech.

Good to see you highlight the 3-point shooting percentage of a guy who isn't a 3-point shooter. No agenda there.
want me to flash up his tourney stats ? or just agree not great ?

want me to flash up his tourney stats ? or just agree not great ?
You're just proving my point and eroding whatever credibility you have left, IMO.

Moyer will make a big leap next year. He was JB'd this year just like Frank last year. He got hurt, Jim made an issue out of it and the kid was playing on Egg Shells the rest of the year.
I dont think he will ever be all world but i do believe he will become a solid contributor. Kid bleeds SU didnt screw up any recruiting visits and hasn't been a locker room issue. Who knows JB might bring him to the ACC shindig next year:)

I think Moyer is a pretty good leaper - he's not as "quick twitch" as Bagley, Carter or Brisset - but he can get up there.

You're just proving my point and eroding whatever credibility you have left, IMO.
ok. not sure i catch your drift. i'll give you one more shot to defend SU bench play in the tourney and then i can post post some pretty sad numbers for you to prove my point. erode away.

ok. not sure i catch your drift. i'll give you one more shot to defend SU bench play in the tourney and then i can post post some pretty sad numbers for you to prove my point. erode away.
What would you like me to defend?

Sidibe was hobbled and was only going to play when Chukwu was in foul trouble. Dolezaj was starting and was going to stay on the floor as much as possible, with a still less than 100% Moyer backing him up. Bayer played against MSU out of necessity and played well.

There was no one else. The team nearly advanced to the Elite 8, so JB managed his very limited options quite successfully. Nobody but you gives a crap what the bench numbers in the tourney looked like.

You're changing the argument. The thread is about Moyer. And br801 responded to your post about his 3 pt shooting. Now you bring up bench play in the NCAAT. That's not what he was responding to.
upload_2018-3-25_14-56-37.gif

but this is a mathew moyer thread. and he came off the bench . hence the title SO MOYER.

but this is a mathew moyer thread. and he came off the bench . hence the title SO MOYER.
Doesn't look like you're asking about Moyer only. Otherwise, you would have said "i'll give you one more shot to defend Moyer's play in the tourney"...

What would you like me to defend?

Sidibe was hobbled and was only going to play when Chukwu was in foul trouble. Dolezaj was starting and was going to stay on the floor as much as possible, with a still less than 100% Moyer backing him up. Bayer played against MSU out of necessity and played well.

There was no one else. The team nearly advanced to the Elite 8, so JB managed his very limited options quite successfully. Nobody but you gives a crap what the bench numbers in the tourney looked like.
How long does it take a sprained ankle to heal? He got hurt on 1/24

How long does it take a sprained ankle to heal? He got hurt on 1/24
Have you ever had a high ankle sprain? He played through it to provide minutes to an undermanned team, (likely comprising the recovery process) and was probably never completely pain-free after the initial injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom