So Moyer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way better than Terrance? JB would kill to have Terrance on this roster.
He was one of the most frustrating players to watch. But if you want him here to run his mouth then sign him up lol

You could see JB talking to him on the bench. I suspect he knows he has to build him up. Also saw a brief interaction between Moyer and Marek. Looks like they’re helping each other.

In those celebration video clips of SU making the tourney and then winning tourney games, Moyer is by far the player going the most insane excited.
So was Kaleb Joseph in 2016 and we know how that ended. Although Joseph had no chance of playing significant minutes ever again. Moyer will have a chance to contribute and play important minutes for us.

It's pretty clear Moyer is a great locker room guy. It also seems obvious that he loves Syracuse. He talked about Newhouse before he got here and said he wanted to be a broadcaster.

Some guys don't want to go to Europe and play basketball - Moyer might be perfectly happy being a 4 year contributor on a high level ACC team and getting a degree. If he cares more about getting a lot of PT, he'll have to burn another RS and go down a level in competition. I think if he wanted he could be a very good player on a team like Toledo, Kent State, Ohio, etc. But that doesn't seem to be his goal. If he stays here the next 3 year he will improve every year and will be a help to us. Like someone above said, it's not necessary that all 12 scholarships are used on superstars or NBA-level players.

He's best friends' with Tyus.

The weird to me about Moyer is that a decent percentage of people have faith in him.

I mean, I think he could be a glue guy, an explosive leaper, that does the dirty work and gives us some valuable minutes moving forward. There has to be some potential there. I hope he stays, but I'm a tad in awe at how bad he looks for a second year Frosh. Those passes he makes are so insanely bad he's lofted a few so far into the backcourt it's utterly bizarre...he looks like he's never played basketball in his life before this year at times. He opened the game with a nice tip-in though, and I think he has more in him for down the road.

That all being said, we've had guys like BJ, Patterson, etc...that seemed to constantly have more heat on them for not being "SU" level players...I mean, Moyer looks about 4 years behind them on the development curve as a Frosh (and he redshirted). I still think he's fine, just not sure why he gets a bit more of a leash...I think all the nice storylines about his parents and him being a nice kid maybe. Who knows.

he’s the player I wonder about being back next year.
He’s only a freshman! He needs to be patient and we need to give him time to develop. He redshirted last year, so I doubt he wants to sit out another season. Plus he’s at Newhouse and is aiming for a broadcasting career. I don’t see him throwing in the towel on Cuse that easily.

Moyer is a freshman who will be a 4 year player that will get better each year and contribute in various ways to help the team. If anyone out there that has played basketball it is hard to compete with a badly sprained ankle and when being aggressive and athletic are your strengths it makes it that much worse. Also, it may be possible he's scared to shoot for being taken out and that kills confidence. He'll be fine and I'm thrilled he's on the team.

The weird to me about Moyer is that a decent percentage of people have faith in him.

I mean, I think he could be a glue guy, an explosive leaper, that does the dirty work and gives us some valuable minutes moving forward. There has to be some potential there. I hope he stays, but I'm a tad in awe at how bad he looks for a second year Frosh. Those passes he makes are so insanely bad he's lofted a few so far into the backcourt it's utterly bizarre...he looks like he's never played basketball in his life before this year at times. He opened the game with a nice tip-in though, and I think he has more in him for down the road.

That all being said, we've had guys like BJ, Patterson, etc...that seemed to constantly have more heat on them for not being "SU" level players...I mean, Moyer looks about 4 years behind them on the development curve as a Frosh (and he redshirted). I still think he's fine, just not sure why he gets a bit more of a leash...I think all the nice storylines about his parents and him being a nice kid maybe. Who knows.
The kid bleeds Orange. It was obvious since day 1 and even before he got here.

I think the fact that the kid appears to put the team before himself is a huge from a fan perspective.

The other guys you mentioned didn't really have that, which is fine. Some kids come here because they think it's the best chance to develop and go pro, period. Some kids come here because they fell in love with the fanbase, campus, culture, etc. For most kids you hope it's both, but Moyer has been so upfront and open about his love for Syracuse it probably gives him more of a break

the kid loves Orange

Not only that he IS THE ORANGE! Kid will be fine. As it has been said this is his first year on the court and maybe the game was a little too fast for him in ACC play. Also he got beat up by JB for most of the season and I'm sure he has no room for error like other players on the team. That alone will make you second guess decisions when you are out there.

Way better than Terrance? JB would kill to have Terrance on this roster.
There was a TR sighting in Rochester a few weeks ago. Playing in real low level pro league

Anyone ele think it’s ironic that we constantly complain about kids leaving earlier than they should and destroying our roster development and when we have a kid who after one year shows some long term potential but not immediate, we want to run him out of town?

Moyer is an explosive leaped who with so time in the gym could turn into a pretty good athlete. His main problem that I see is he needs the game to slow down for him which can only happen with time and he doesn’t play for a coach who will give him that time during the season. I expect to hear the kid puts a ton of time in the gym and on the court this summer and we’ll see a new player next year. We need kids like Moyer to improve if we are going to ever win the ACC.

There was a TR sighting in Rochester a few weeks ago. Playing in real low level pro league
There’s a pro league that plays in Rochester? Must be super low level.

Why not? He’s not going to the NBA anyway. What is transferring going to do for him? Seems like he loves being Orange. He’s already sat out a year and would lose a year of eligibility if he transferred. It would make no sense, assuming he likes it at SU.

He’s got 3 more years. He likely won’t see much time next year. So what though? He’s the kind of player that just needs to keep working his butt off to get better and to earn his spot on the court as a veteran Junior and Senior, and I see no reason why he can’t do that. Seems like a good kid and team guy and good program player who can develop into a solid player and leader in a couple years. Like a Duany, Sims, Southerland, etc.
BINGO!

Isn’t he buds with Bazley?

Plus, he already redshirted, so unless the NCAA eliminates not have to sit out a year for transfers, he’ll be back. Believe it or not his game has a ton of potential. Kind of reminds me of Terrence Roberts.

Yeah I think the red shirting issue is a key. If he's on the fence, the fact that he loses a year may tip the scales

There’s a pro league that plays in Rochester? Must be super low level.
Rochester Razor Sharks in NAPB. 30 game season. It's actually a step up in the league they were in that they dominated for like 3 years.

red shirts aren't freshman. they've had a whole year in the program. they weren't playing against high school kids in high school gyms. we should expect more.

Anyone ele think it’s ironic that we constantly complain about kids leaving earlier than they should and destroying our roster development and when we have a kid who after one year shows some long term potential but not immediate, we want to run him out of town?

Moyer is an explosive leaped who with so time in the gym could turn into a pretty good athlete. His main problem that I see is he needs the game to slow down for him which can only happen with time and he doesn’t play for a coach who will give him that time during the season. I expect to hear the kid puts a ton of time in the gym and on the court this summer and we’ll see a new player next year. We need kids like Moyer to improve if we are going to ever win the ACC.

Agree very much with your first paragraph.

red shirts aren't freshman. they've had a whole year in the program. they weren't playing against high school kids in high school gyms. we should expect more.

You know he redshirted largely because he was injured right?

He wasn’t playing against anyone for several months before his freshman year, or in the beginning of the season in practice. Not like he was healthy and just raring to go and getting better that whole time.

Like someone else said, 'the game has to slow down for him'. He seems to get very hyper, almost frantic at times when he's in the game - that great rebound he had that he threw in the backcourt, for example. I wonder how he does in practice and whether it does or doesn't translate in games. Glad to hear that he's staying.

well he was injured but JB had already announced he wasn't gonna see the court.

"Even if he gets better," Boeheim said, "there's not playing time for him. Next year, we'll have four or five guys, maximum, coming back and now you have a great opportunity to play."

Came in as a 4 with some wondering if he could be a 3 on offense. Think a better role for him is a 4 who can fill in at the 5 in a pinch. Between injuries and foul trouble he certainly could be a better fit physically as an emergency piece in the middle of the zone than Marek was, particularly if we don't bring in a third big.

I think Moyer had too much confidence, not too little. When he got in trouble —- which happened pretty frequently —- it was because he was trying something that worked in high school but wouldn’t fly at this level.

He’s got to figure out what he can and cannot do at this level. It’s going to take a while. He has good size, some good skills and a good attitude.

What could impact his development might be JB’s unwillingness to put him in a game next year while he continues to learn. He got the time he got this year because there was no one else to put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom