So Moyer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’ll be back.
Have you seen him with the other players? He's everybody's favorite guy. He's not going anywhere. One of the reasons this team did so well was that they genuinely seemed to like each other. The season before...not so much.

Weird weird weird night for him. 75% of the time he was on the floor he was doing good things, but the 25% that was bad was SO noticeable.

Hate to say it, because he seems to be a great kid, but I'd flip your percentages. I just don't think he's a D1 basketball player.

Hate to say it, because he seems to be a great kid, but I'd flip your percentages. I just don't think he's a D1 basketball player.
That’s laughable. Moyer clearly has high major D1 size and skills. He just needs more time to develop. But to say he’s not a D1 level player is rather idiotic.

but look how much better MD got once he saw the floor regularly. you can't judge players coming off the bench for just 2 minute stretches. you need real minutes to get better and get comfortable. amazing the improvement you see when someone knows they're not getting the quick hook. gotta let kids play thru their mistakes.

Matt Moyer is a FRESHMAN that is the problem plain and simple. He will mature into a OUTSTANDING player in his Junior & Senior years. He is intelligent and he has great physical size, not to mention he is a hustler. I believe so many here overlook the fact that the young man has had serious foot issues this year. In my humble opinion he will be a force in coming years !

That’s laughable. Moyer clearly has high major D1 size and skills. He just needs more time to develop. But to say he’s not a D1 level player is rather idiotic.
I'd say he has a chance to prove that. I dont know that it's "clear" he has high major D1 skills.

Part of having high major D1 skills is the ability to be counted on to provide something as a freshman. There's a reason, in a S16 game between Syracuse and Duke, there was only one upperclassmen starting for Duke (Allen) and only one "non-transfer" upperclassmen for Syracuse (Howard). Everyone else recruited out of high school to Cuse or Duke was a freshman or sophomore.

Unfortunately for Moyer, he was close to being unplayable, even on a team with zero depth.

Last edited:
Three weeks ago Marek didn't appear to know what offense was. Moyer is a freshman who needs time to develop. He has tools that require development. He probably won't ever be the focus of the offense, but he can be a very good rebounding forward with a reliable mid and short range game.

By the time that he is a senior he will be a very good player for us if he stays.

Im not sure marek is a good comparison. I always thought marek had potential. Didnt know it was coming this year but you could see the tools were there. I dont see moyer in the same light.

Clearly seems to be an overstatement at this point. He can be serviceable, maybe a lot more as he has a few years to work hard and he has some skills to work with, but clearly?

Fans want bench depth, but then they want guys to transfer.

Roberson never develops but our fans stick up for him cause JB was mean to him.

Moyer is a freshman who doesn’t look much different from Roberson, but we don’t want him because he shows too much energy.

Dumb.

God forbid we allow a kid to develop for 4 years to see what he can do. Andy Rautins, Rick Jackson, Scoop, Hak, Onuaku, and too many I can't remember would have never become the players they did by JR./SR year had they left based on what they did their Freshman year. It's guys like them, and possibly Moyer, that become pivotal to the team by their SR year simply based on their experience, and leadership, let alone what they can possibly bring to the floor. I think Moyer will be fine. He's a freshman, that God forbid, dared to play like a freshman.

Last edited:
Im not sure marek is a good comparison. I always thought marek had potential. Didnt know it was coming this year but you could see the tools were there. I dont see moyer in the same light.
Marek is a MUCH better athlete than MM and has a great, instinctual feel for the game. With improved confidence, strength and shot making MD could end up being an all - ACC type player.

dolomite needs a lot of polishing before he ever becomes all ACC. A LOT !

Fans want bench depth, but then they want guys to transfer.

Roberson never develops but our fans stick up for him cause JB was mean to him.

Moyer is a freshman who doesn’t look much different from Roberson, but we don’t want him because he shows too much energy.

Dumb.
Roberson had some games where he rebounded like Dennis Rodman but I'm pretty sure most here are sick of recruiting PF's who can't shoot more than a layup.

I'm not saying Moyer can't be useful as a locker room guy and get some bench minutes as a Junior and Senior but some here say that he's "clearly" a high D1 talent and thats not true. It's not clear...yet.

Really, idiotic? He may have the size, but there are plenty of guys with size that don't possess the skill set to play at this high D1 level. What have you seen from a skill set standpoint that suggests he's high level D1 type player? What teams in the ACC would Moyer sniff getting any (real) playing time on? Although this is his first year of actually playing, he has had two full years of practices and summers to polish/work on his game, etc. and so far, from what I've observed to date, I'm also of the opinion that unless he has some type of significant transformation, I just don't see him being much more than a guy that gives various rotation players a blow.

Roberson had some games where he rebounded like Dennis Rodman but I'm pretty sure most here are sick of recruiting PF's who can't shoot more than a layup.

I'm not saying Moyer can't be useful as a locker room guy and get some bench minutes as a Junior and Senior but to say he's "clearly" a high D1 talent is not true. It's not clear...yet.

This is why we don’t have bench depth though. The fans have zero patience and JB hasn’t either. We want to force guys out after playing one year. Guys like a Southerland and Lazarus Sims didn’t play until they were upperclassmen. He can still develop. If we want bench depth we can’t keep telling guys to transfer.

This is why we don’t have bench depth though. The fans have zero patience and JB hasn’t either. We want to force guys out after playing one year. Guys like a Southerland and Lazarus Sims didn’t play until they were upperclassmen. He can still develop. If we want bench depth we can’t keep telling guys to transfer.
I'm ok with him staying at Syracuse. Now that we are coming out of sanctions, we can build a program normally again, but he needs to prove he can play at this level. I don't know what fans see, aside from the fact they like him as a person, to say he's clearly a high D1 talent.

"roberson had some games where he rebounded like Dennis Rodman but I'm pretty sure most here are sick of recruiting PF's who can't shoot more than a layup."

i get a little tired of defending tyler roberson but since we've been in the ACC he ranks 5th in points scored and 1st in rebounds. and he only avg'd 22 minutes a game. facts.

I'm ok with him staying at Syracuse. Now that we are coming out of sanctions, we can build a program normally again, but he needs to prove he can play at this level. I don't know what fans see, aside from the fact they like him as a person, to say he's clearly a high D1 talent.

I think he can rebound. He’s made some plays for us. Demetris Nichols and Andy Rautins didn’t look like D1 players for a couple years either. We’ve become impatient and haven’t remembered history.

I think he can rebound. He’s made some plays for us. Demetris Nichols and Andy Rautins didn’t look like D1 players for a couple years either. We’ve become impatient and haven’t remembered history.
The game has also changed since then.

If he isn't D1 caliber, he would have shown ZERO vs. D1 competition as a RS Freshman. He certainly showed he was capable at times, and that's all you can expect out of a RS freshman going against D1 competition for the very first time.

11 points 7 reb vs Toledo in 25 mins
18 points 8 rebs vs UCONN in 36 mins
6 points 11 rebs vs G-Town in 36 mins
12 points 9 rebs in vs UB in 35 mins
11 points 13 rebs vs Va Tech in 37 mins
5 points 8 rebs vs Wake in 31 mins
7 points 10 rebs vs FSU in 34 mins

Those numbers don't happen to a Freshman who can't play vs. D1 competition. Clearly he has shown the ability to.

dolomite needs a lot of polishing before he ever becomes all ACC. A LOT !
Kids tend to become more polished year to year. He'll be here for 4 years, and be a stud his Jr/Sr year. I have no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom