So much for Continuity... | Syracusefan.com

So much for Continuity...

Cuseman78

All Conference
As I said from the moment Marrone left, our administration did our school an unbelievable disservice by hiring Coach Shafer under the premise of "Continuity".

Since that moment, our highest profile recruit has already bailed, I would be shocked if there aren't a number of others, and our entire offensive coaching staff will most likely be wiped out when all is said and done. You know, that school record-breaking offense than made us into the most dangerous (and best) team in the conference.

Now I loved Coach Shafer's presser more than anybody, I think he did a great job rallying the troops. But presser's don't win football games. And I want to make it clear that I will be Shafer's biggest supporter (see my beautiful new avatar). This is not an anti-Shafer rant. I hope he ends up a Gary Patterson type success story. But that is certainly no guarantee and his hiring was a major risk. It was supposedly done so to provide stability and keep momentum going. Does anyone really believe momentum is in our favor at this point, especially with the Wheatley and Adkins rumors?

At this point, it is absolutely imperative that Shafer hires "recruiters". The losses of Wheatley and Adkins will sting, and very badly. Those were our 2 best recruiters and its crucial they are replaced with recruiting in mind. I'm concerned we are becoming too Midwest-centric in our staff, essentially Western Michigan East. If we hire Bill Cubit, how are we not basically Western Michigan circa 2005?

We are at a dangerous time, and the rebuild of our offensive staff and recruiters will determine whether or not Shafer has Marrone level success or if we have ourselves a Frank Spaziani clone.

At the moment, there is a ton of blind faith being practiced. Scary times for the football program.

How is it the schools fault Doug 'raped and pillaged' the staff?

The NFL calls, you go.

As I said from the moment Marrone left, our administration did our school an unbelievable disservice by hiring Coach Shafer under the premise of "Continuity".

Since that moment, our highest profile recruit has already bailed, I would be shocked if there aren't a number of others, and our entire offensive coaching staff will most likely be wiped out when all is said and done. You know, that school record-breaking offense than made us into the most dangerous (and best) team in the conference.

Now I loved Coach Shafer's presser more than anybody, I think he did a great job rallying the troops. But presser's don't win football games. And I want to make it clear that I will be Shafer's biggest supporter. This is not an anti-Shafer rant. I hope he ends up a Gary Patterson type success story. But that is certainly no guarantee and his hiring was a major risk. It was supposedly done so to provide stability and keep momentum going. Does anyone really believe momentum is in our favor at this point, especially with the Wheatley and Adkins rumors?

At this point, it is absolutely imperative that Shafer hires "recruiters". The losses of Wheatley and Adkins will sting, and very badly. Those were our 2 best recruiters and its crucial they are replaced with recruiting in mind. I'm concerned we are becoming too Midwest-centric in our staff, essentially Western Michigan East. If we hire Bill Cubit, how are we not basically Western Michigan circa 2005?

We are at a dangerous time, and the rebuild of our offensive staff and recruiters will determine whether or not Shafer has Marrone level success or if we have ourselves a Frank Spaziani clone.

At the moment, there is a ton of blind faith being practiced. Scary times for the football program.

Continuity is not code for recruiting. It's more than that... We lost one recruit. It happens.

chill_pill.preview.jpg

Would continuity and momentum have been better maintained by bringing in a new head coach? Would we not have lost any assistants then? Do you think Shafer would allow being passed over and stay?

and lets wait for official word on wheatley at least as i havent seen anything online saying he is gone to buffalo

Yep, pretty much.

Over his time here Shafer has replaced the other defense coaches with guys from his past. Once his name was confirmed as Head Coach I had a strong feeling he wanted to do the same with the offensive side of the ball. Hackett, Wheatley, Adkins, Hackett, Moore, Anselmo all signed on to coach with Marrone, not Shafer or the University. We look at this as fans and have love for the Orange but other than the alum Moore these guys see this as a job and nothing more. They have to look out for themselves and their families and make choices while they still have them available.

Good or bad- Shafer will surround himself with directional michigan/midwest guys he has worked with in the past. Maybe he pulls a rabbit out of a hat, or maybe he pulls out a steaming pile. It's too late to do get a do-over so we just have to hope like hell he knows what he is doing.

How is it the schools fault Doug 'raped and pillaged' the staff?

The NFL calls, you go.

Naivete on the part of the athletic department. I don't care if Doug pinky-swore.

Yep, pretty much.

Over his time here Shafer has replaced the other defense coaches with guys from his past. Once his name was confirmed as Head Coach I had a strong feeling he wanted to do the same with the offensive side of the ball. Hackett, Wheatley, Adkins, Hackett, Moore, Anselmo all signed on to coach with Marrone, not Shafer or the University. We look at this as fans and have love for the Orange but other than the alum Moore these guys see this as a job and nothing more. They have to look out for themselves and their families and make choices while they still have them available.

Good or bad- Shafer will surround himself with directional michigan/midwest guys he has worked with in the past. Maybe he pulls a rabbit out of a hat, or maybe he pulls out a steaming pile. It's too late to do get a do-over so we just have to hope like hell he knows what he is doing.

Well said. I will be watching these offensive hires VERY closely. On the defensive side of the ball, I'm actually fine with him getting his guys. If he has a good repoire with Bullough, hire him. No problem with that. But our whole entire offensive staff looks like it will be gone within the next couple of days. He has to get this right.

Now I loved Coach Shafer's presser more than anybody, I think he did a great job rallying the troops. But presser's don't win football games. And I want to make it clear that I will be Shafer's biggest supporter (see my beautiful new avatar). This is not an anti-Shafer rant. I hope he ends up a Gary Patterson type success story. But that is certainly no guarantee and his hiring was a major risk. It was supposedly done so to provide stability and keep momentum going. Does anyone really believe momentum is in our favor at this point, especially with the Wheatley and Adkins rumors?

Sorry but this is another ridiculous post.

So what should they have done and more importantly how would that have changed anything that has happened? Would hiring an outsider after a quick knee jerk process that might have brought in the completely wrong person saved recruiting when that hire would not have had any staff and every assistant would have bailed? Sorry but an outsider with no staff would have lead to even more recruits bailing.

Bottom line is that there was no way any scenario would have resulted in every recruit and every assistant staying. And all indications are that Shafer could end up being the best hire here in decades - younger than Mac, a college guy, fired up, etc. Trust me - I am usually the first to say 'been there, done that' but even the most half empty posters seem to see a difference here.

Bottom line - what would you have done to keep continuity? Who would you have hired to keep every recruit and assistant? Everyone bitches but no one who bitches offers solutions. And many do not want to come to terms with the fact that Syracuse is a tough place to hire for a lot of reasons. And when the hires are young and do well - they are more than likely going to be on the next bus out. Just the nature of the business.

Scary times? I actually think the program is now going to prosper with a HC who wants to be here and who probably stays forever if he wins. No one is stealing a HC who will be over 50 when/if he proves himself.

Sorry but this is another ridiculous post.

So what should they have done and more importantly how would that have changed anything that has happened? Would hiring an outsider after a quick knee jerk process that might have brought in the completely wrong person saved recruiting when that hire would not have had any staff and every assistant would have bailed? Sorry but an outsider with no staff would have lead to even more recruits bailing.

Bottom line is that there was no way any scenario would have resulted in every recruit and every assistant staying. And all indications are that Shafer could end up being the best hire here in decades - younger than Mac, a college guy, fired up, etc. Trust me - I am usually the first to say 'been there, done that' but even the most half empty posters seem to see a difference here.

Bottom line - what would you have done to keep continuity? Who would you have hired to keep every recruit and assistant? Everyone bitches but no one who bitches offers solutions. And many do not want to come to terms with the fact that Syracuse is a tough place to hire for a lot of reasons. And when the hires are young and do well - they are more than likely going to be on the next bus out. Just the nature of the business.

Scary times? I actually think the program is now going to prosper with a HC who wants to be here and who probably stays forever if he wins. No one is stealing a HC who will be over 50 when/if he proves himself.

Hey, I'm glad that some of you are practicing such blind faith. But ridiculous post? I think its more than fair to question whether this school is committed to its football program. We went on the cheap, and I guess most of us are just crossing our fingers hoping it works out.

What would I have done? I've already gone over that ad nauseum in other posts. If you care to thumb through it, look it up. Otherwise, let's just say I think our administration lacks the stones and financial will to target more qualified candidates.

As I said from the moment Marrone left, our administration did our school an unbelievable disservice by hiring Coach Shafer ...".

Let me set the picture for you:
  • We lose our coach in late December/early January
  • We have a Lame-duck chancellor
  • We have financial and support issues of some degree...further emphasized by a transition in leadership the overall University is going through
  • The Staff was pretty doggone good
Great that you are supporting Shafer and IMHO, I think the University deserves a tad more of it given the tenuous realities.

But your argument is that an outside hire would've kept the current staff together?

What would you guys be like in a real crisis?
Shafer is a pro and will hire a good solid staff. Give the guy a freaking chance.

Oh good lord, I don't think anybody is about to jump out the window. But if you don't think its fair to question the hire because he knocked your socks off on Friday afternoon with his rhetoric, then I guess Shafe did his job, didn't he?

show me an outside candidate that has more experience at being HC that was realistic

Let me set the picture for you:
  • We lose our coach in late December/early January
  • We have a Lame-duck chancellor
  • We have financial and support issues of some degree...further emphasized by a transition in leadership the overall University is going through
  • The Staff was pretty doggone good
Great that you are supporting Shafer and IMHO, I think the University deserves a tad more of it given the tenuous realities.

You see, as far as financial and support issues are concerned, I find the University lacks the will to jump outside its conservative box. I don't believe that there are as many financial hurdles as they want you to believe. In other words, we're really, really cheap.

Hey, I'm glad that some of you are practicing such blind faith. But ridiculous post? I think its more than fair to question whether this school is committed to its football program. We went on the cheap, and I guess most of us are just crossing our fingers hoping it works out.

What would I have done? I've already gone over that ad nauseum in other posts. If you care to thumb through it, look it up. Otherwise, let's just say I think our administration lacks the stones and financial will to target more qualified candidates.
Spare me the time and simply take 2 minutes to present your dream list - then take another 2 minutes to tell us how you know that the AD went on the cheap and lacks the stones to hire the list of people that you put together or that they are not committed to the program - most of whom I am guessing were probably not realistic.

You see, as far as financial and support issues are concerned, I find the University lacks the will to jump outside its conservative box. I don't believe that there are as many financial hurdles as they want you to believe. In other words, we're really, really cheap.
Cheap? The reality is that Syracuse would have to overpay to convince most of the "name" candidates people fantasize about in order to get them to show up.

this is all just a little bit of rain- nothing catastrophic

its all about comfort in coaching-the guy after robinson wants that familiarity and will take what he wants-because its in his best interest

hcss will do the same- cant hand tie a new head coach by pickin his assistants- its his ass on the line and he wants guys he is comfortable around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom