So now we wait on the roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So now we wait on the roster

We've been burnt with the year too early exits lately (what if Tyler Lydon was playing tonight?), but this team will be a non worry tournament team next year even if both Battle and Brissett go. If neither does though, holy crap this team is loaded.

I'm not willing to go that far, especially when we're talking about freshmen. But yes if everyone stays, this is a national championship caliber team potentially. I hope these kids realize that. Why can't we get lucky for once with a kid that just wants to stay in school ffs?

I agree, but it's conceivable that if he has right (er, wrong) noise in his ears he could be pushed to test the waters and then if he grades out super high, all bets are off...
I hope the sprained ankle at the end there doesn't influence anything.

Marek will be here for three more years. Looks like he loves playing college ball

Yeah, you know I always got the feeling he was trying to find his place. And the NCAA experience at the end of this year has shown him where that is. He played steadily up from about Feb 1, and every time out he finished looking like he wanted more.

The thing with Battle is a lot of people, myself included, think he will lock dudes down in M2M. His defensive ability will improve his draft stock, imo.

Yeah — you might be right. I hope so for his sake. Would be cool to have another first-rounder. I just think his offensive game is really good mid-range but not great from deep or in terms of getting to the basket. Feel like that is pretty limiting.

I'm not willing to go that far, especially when we're talking about freshmen. But yes if everyone stays, this is a national championship caliber team potentially. I hope these kids realize that. Why can't we get lucky for once with a kid that just wants to stay in school ffs?

Supp, to me, if you say everyone stays it's National Championship caliber, then even if Battle and Brissett goes, I think it's not a stretch to say it's a non worry in the tourney team. I don't see how a Howard/Hughes or Carey/Dolezaj/Bazeley/Chukwu or Sidibe lineup misses with Boeheim, Washington, Moyer, and the two from C/SG that don't start misses.

Supp, to me, if you say everyone stays it's National Championship caliber, then even if Battle and Brissett goes, I think it's not a stretch to say it's a non worry in the tourney team. I don't see how a Howard/Hughes or Carey/Dolezaj/Bazeley/Chukwu or Sidibe lineup misses with Boeheim, Washington, Moyer, and the two from C/SG that don't start misses.

If we bring back a starting five that was a ballhair from the final 8 with Battle's performance in the 1st half and Brissett's in the second crucial to that and replace them w/ freshmen and a largely unknown commodity in Hughes, I'd like to go along with you but it's too much uncertainty for me. And we haven't even talked defense yet. This defensive 5 plus better offense? I know I'm being selfish but for once I'd like to see our kids put Syracuse ahead of potential NBA dollars.

From the last Jim Boeheim Show of the season:

I then asked my question about the factors in a player’s decision to go to the NBA. Before I record JB’s response, I’ll copy and paste Alan Griffin’s response from two weeks ago first for comparison::

AG: ““All of the above. (academic goals, family aspirations, coaching relationships and draft status), You just never know what will make a kid stay. It might be academics. It might be coaching relationships. They may want to win a championship. To each his own. There are situations in life that push them out the door. If I had had the opportunity to leave early I would have had to think about it a long time because I loved Syracuse and I wanted to win a national championship.”

JB: “It’s only really draft status. If you feel you could go in the first round and get guaranteed money. If it’s the second round, can you move up? They don’t seem to like Tyus right now but they’d be interested if we had 22-23 wins. We will have more players next year. Elijah Hughes does a lot of things well. He’s a very smart player. He makes plays in practice. We would be better just with everybody coming back. But you never know about next year until it gets here.“

I agree, but it's conceivable that if he has right (er, wrong) noise in his ears he could be pushed to test the waters and then if he grades out super high, all bets are off...
Love Oshae, but the bully ball in the lane he used this year won't work against the men in the League. Needs a bit more time.

Last edited:
Multiple Two cents here:
Tyrus Battle coming back next year depends on how well he performs at the NBA Combine or whatever it is called. Even though he has been an iron man for Syracuse and a great player, his season is not considered great due to the fact he was of 3 people that touched the ball 80-90% of time in the game. He would be foolish to say he is going pro if he is not guaranteed to be selected in the first round. He is a bright person and has accepted the college life but with NBA aspirations, he needs to definitely impress the people at the NBA combine.

o'Shae Brissett - good player with a lot of potential to be great but definitely not ready for the NBA at this time. He needs more seasoning. His of late moves down the lane where he would draw fouls or make awkward shots were entertaining but lacked something. He needs to be able to demonstrate his power with respect to dunking on those moves or pulling up with mid to close range jumpers and more consistency on his inside the arc shots before he should considering going pro. Now, he can go pro now on his potential but probably will not progress much with respect to improving his skills.

Marek - good player and real fighter but until he bulks up his weight and strength, he will constantly be pushed around. Staying here vice going back to Europe will have to be his decision based on a number of factors (homesickness, pro aspirations, personal motivation, etc.)

Agree that Battle is most likely to go pro this year but would like to see him back next year. That said, believe that there will be a new dynamic next year with 11-12 scholarship players vice 7-8 players. If the incoming players demonstrate skills and abililities, I would not be surprised if this year's big 3's minutes are each reduced by 8-10 minutes or more per game.

Final note: regarding Frank Howard's haters, did anyone figure out that his playing style this year was most likely indicative to that of the team we had. He managed a slow deliberate game because we did not have the resources to run and gun or to take more risks. It was not until late in the year when players other than the Big 3 started to step up and warrant recognition for scoring opportunities. Heck, even in the last few games players were still fumbling the ball under the basket and loosing the balls to steals or blocks by the other team. Hopefully, this will change next year with the influx of new players.

So, since this tweet has been deleted, what did it say?

Oshae said that Canadian beer is better than US beer.

And he's planning on coming back next season.

(Unless he's told that he's a lottery pick).

Battle is gone, no point of holding out hope for that one. But JB prepared for that with the Hughes transfer and getting Carey. Our guards next year will be Howard, Carey and Hughes. Would love to have Tyus back but I'm pretty sure he told the staff before the season started he was gonna declare.

No idea about the other 2. Everything we've seen from OB the past month has led to me believing he'll be back. But I'm sure he'll declare and get an evaluation, you never know what NBA teams will tell him. For Marek it's pretty simple - does he want to go home or not? If not, he'll be back.

Next year will be a lot of changes. I think Bazley, OB, PC and Marek will probably all leave. Frank will be graduating.

If all 3 came back, we'd have "Duke in a great year" talent and "mid-major" experience.

Of course, I have zero expectations of all 3 coming back.

I think Battle impressed tonight on a BIG stage. I now would be shocked if he's back.

Dolezaj has the ability to get to the NBA with another season or two.

OB has a lot of $$$ reasons to come back. High-Mid Lottery Pick vs Late 1st/2nd Round Pick is a big deal.
I don't think MD is an NBA level athlete. He will be a great college player over the next 3 years.

Doesn't pretty much EVERY team have these roster uncertainties this time of year?
It's just the new normal for D1 hoops.

I assume Battle is gone, so that way I won't be at all disappointed if that's what happens.
I very much hope he keeps our string of 1st round draft picks alive, but wish him the very best of luck and success no matter what happens for him in the future.

Conversely, I'd be shocked if Oshae goes.
Both times he went up against the legit NBA size/talent that Duke has, he struggled mightily.
But, it's clearly not out of the realm of possibility either.

With who we expect back, plus who we are adding - Hughes, DBaze, Carey, and Buddy - we should have the deepest and most talented roster we've seen in quite a while.
Really hope both PC and Dib are healthy next year - having both of them fully operational from the jump will make our D that much more formidable, and provide a little more on O there too.

I don't think MD is an NBA level athlete. He will be a great college player over the next 3 years.
He's sneaky athletic and has a ridiculous wingspan. There's a ton of Euro's in the NBA. They're generally not the most athletic players there.

He has to put on weight and develop a 3 point shot because his only position is Stretch 4, but I can see it after his Junior year.

He's sneaky athletic and has a ridiculous wingspan. There's a ton of Euro's in the NBA. They're generally not the most athletic players there.

He has to put on weight and develop a 3 point shot because his only position is Stretch 4, but I can see it after his Junior year.
JB has always said that Marek is not the typical Euro. He's more athletic and is less of a shooter. But we saw that shot develop a lot over the course of the year. To me, Marek can develop into an NBA player if he stays for a few years. He needs about 20lbs and a consistent jump shot - he has everything else

FWIW, the PS article today indicated that Marek planned on going home after the semester ends, but then plans to be back for the second summer session to get back to work preparing for next season.

Saw that. Here’s hoping he lives in a weight room over there and Mama Dolezaj keeps the calories coming.

JB has always said that Marek is not the typical Euro. He's more athletic and is less of a shooter. But we saw that shot develop a lot over the course of the year. To me, Marek can develop into an NBA player if he stays for a few years. He needs about 20lbs and a consistent jump shot - he has everything else
Love the kid and the way he plays, but he's a long way from being an NBA prospect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom