So @Wake is now a must win | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So @Wake is now a must win

This team will not be close against Wake. They might have one of the best starting fives in the league. They have too many weapons. Our only hope is they stop guarding at times.

It is what it is and where we are at.

Red with Judah to the NIT was what I was hoping for as a minimum year 1 before the season.

The team defense switch has been intriguing and we are often a fun team to watch (that needs to be said.)

The basketball is so much more watchable and I am hopeful that Red can manage this program going forward.

I am glass half full.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
If you don't start this line up you are taking a risk of not winning:

JJ
JM
Brown
Copeland
Benny.

But, you have to have them shoot foul shots and threes till they collapse from fatigue, every night.

Watching Judah tonight shoot and miss free throws was something that shouldn't ever happen.

JJ
JM
Brown
Copeland
Benny.

But, you have to have them shoot foul shots and threes till they collapse from fatigue, every night.

Watching Judah tonight shoot and miss free throws was something that shouldn't ever happen.
Brown front rimed 2, and then Judah did the same.

At the start of the season I was hoping for a winning record year. We are not a good shooting team. We win when the other team makes mistakes and/or shoots poorly. He's a good kid but Judah is over rated as a player. Go Orange!

JJ
JM
Brown
Copeland
Benny.

Again, it is what it is.

If that's your best lineup, it drops when regular subs are made to the point of significant liability... We don't have the cupboards we need.

This was known going into the season and we were all hoping for the best.

Also, Benny should never be starting in the ACC. That is damning, in and of itself.

I don't mind Bell starting. And I'm not a big Bell fan. But if he comes out and hits a 3, he is usually off to the races. At least there is that chance
I posted this is another thread but Bell's splits in wins vs losses are really, really interesting.

Not a surprise that he shoots really well in wins, and really poorly in losses.

We're going to the NIT...

It's fine and it's progress.

We need better players.

It is known.
NIT is not fine. This is our last year with Judah, it’s not a “young” team anymore at this point in the season. Those Boeheim freshman are going to be juniors next year. The standard is the standard

I posted this is another thread but Bell's splits in wins vs losses are really, really interesting.

Not a surprise that he shoots really well in wins, and really poorly in losses.
He has a terrible mentality, literally hung his head on the first air ball. Need him to forget the misses quick and move on

I know some like Bell, but we really need another dimension on the wing. If your shot isn’t falling you need to find other ways to score and contribute. I really think that’s what’s hamstringing us more than anything. The forward position is the biggest mess it’s ever been.

I know some like Bell, but we really need another dimension on the wing. If your shot isn’t falling you need to find other ways to score and contribute. I really think that’s what’s hamstringing us more than anything. The forward position is the biggest mess it’s ever been.
Agree. It's pretty rare not to have at least one forward that you have a pretty good idea what you're going to get out of them consistently.

Sad how poorly JAB managed the program over the past 7 or 8 years to fall back to the point where making the NIT is seen as progress.
It was slowly trending that way and disguised with those 2 tournament wins in Indianapolis in March 21. Then that off-season followed and the bottom fell out and we have been digging out of that hole since. I think he might have brainwashed Red with the whole best recruiting class ever regarding the 22 class.

No one is talking about this. People called for this starting lineup for weeks and we saw it for the whole second half. And they didn’t win.

I give red credit - he played Q and Benny and sat Bell and Taylor for most of the 2H - but we lost and it wasn’t res ally close at the end
I agree - one I think the starting thing is overrated. I do think Red could be quicker getting the bench in the game but we aren't benching Goldstein to put in Hayward. None of the options are good enough or consistent enough.

One thing to start Taylor and Bell. Another to have them out there at the start of the second half where we need to start a comeback and know they have been the worst version of themselves already. Horrible horrible decision making from Red. You knew for sure BC was going to build on that lead.

Well, it is where we are at. We do have a mickey dees coming in next year and we have to hit the portal hard. If we don't, I will be very disappointed.
Every team we play has used the portal effectively. Wake’s 5 of top 6 scorers for example. We got one player from portal. That’s on Red. And btw he was the lead recruiter for the underachievers in the soph class too. Reality.

We got four and two are hurt.
And none have really worked out. One was a known injury risk having a lost season (and a dig on twitter that's proving prescient), another was coming off two lost seasons to injury, the third missed a month last season and was underwhelming when he did play, and the 4th has been in college for three years, D1 basketball for two and was lightly used overall.

Red has his work cut out for him this offseason.

I feel sometimes he subs for the sake of subbing and we get stuck with bad combinations. There has to be some kind of offensive balance on the floor. We got caught with a bad combination late in the first half. Our subbing should be a little more purposeful.

I feel sometimes he subs for the sake of subbing and we get stuck with bad combinations. There has to be some kind of offensive balance on the floor. We got caught with a bad combination late in the first half. Our subbing should be a little more purposeful.
10000%

When you look at the team he put on the floor w/o Judah, Q, and Brown...as I stated...it was the first time I was really concerned with his mindset. Hima can't score. Cuffe can't score. Bell wasn't scoring that game. Benny basically can't score. So the plan was JJ ISO's? That's not gonna work. I get the fouls and the injuries, etc. You have to figure that out. In that spot in the game, he needed to stick with Judah with 2 and tell him to be careful. It was the only option.

Every team we play has used the portal effectively. Wake’s 5 of top 6 scorers for example. We got one player from portal. That’s on Red. And btw he was the lead recruiter for the underachievers in the soph class too. Reality.
I don't know how much we tag can these guys with underachievers. They don't have the benefit of one sr or really a jr , sorry Benny, that they can look to for leadership and ability. Now, you want to blame Red for some of that, okay. I rather think the blame lies elsewhere. That is reality as well.

I don't know how much we tag can these guys with underachievers. They don't have the benefit of one sr or really a jr , sorry Benny, that they can look to for leadership and ability. Now, you want to blame Red for some of that, okay. I rather think the blame lies elsewhere. That is reality as well.
But don't you think that there should be roster changes? I don't know how to square that with what you posted above.

But don't you think that there should be roster changes? I don't know how to square that with what you posted above.
Oh yes. Many. I thought I have been quite clear about that. My point above was that these sophs have got no help from any other class. Nothing more than that. We desperately need portal help. I was thinking last night about Leo Rautins, Ryan Blackwell and Wes Johnson. Any one of those would look great at the 3 for us next year. I'm not sure about the 5. I think we can win with Brown and some steady forwards. Which we don't have now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom