so, was that a foul on CJ on the last play? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

so, was that a foul on CJ on the last play?

I thought it was a foul, but I also thought Smith traveled when he initially made his move. Plus I've never seen so many potential goaltending calls not made. It was like international rules out there. Melo easily could have been called for offensive interference on the final play and defensive interference on a previous ft attempt. The block of dions drive was definite goaltending and there was a play where Drummond dunked a ball that was clearly in the cylinder.

I say it was, and would have been called if it wasn't the waning seconds of the game.
what say yous?

Just saw the replay of both plays on ESPN. Fab made contact with the ball outside the cylander and there was no foul on the other end. The guy was falling backwards to get room to shoot and fell over backwards. Both good no calls.

My daughter plays a lot of soccer and we have a saying. You know what they call a foul the referee doesn't call? Not a foul.

But seriously, here was some pre-shot contact but I didn't see anything I thought for a second might be called a foul.

I say it was, and would have been called if it wasn't the waning seconds of the game.
what say yous?
It was a travel first.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

He definitely had an arm around the dude, but I think they let it go because Smith (that's who it was, right?) was kinda flailing and falling on his own when CJ grabbed him.

THIS. That was an Oscar worthy flop by Roscoe P Coultrane.

the foul was before that.

Yes. The "foul" is what led to the award winning flop and forced shot. CJ blocked the shot after Smith was falling away. If Smith had just played it straight and not gone to the obvious flop, he may have gotten the call.

Just saw the replay of both plays on ESPN. Fab made contact with the ball outside the cylander and there was no foul on the other end. The guy was falling backwards to get room to shoot and fell over backwards. Both good no calls.

people are looking at the wrong time. fair hacks him just after smith receives the pass and before smith falls backwards.

Could have called the foul on the arm reach around. Block was clean.

I thought it was a foul, but I also thought Smith traveled when he initially made his move. Plus I've never seen so many potential goaltending calls not made. It was like international rules out there. Melo easily could have been called for offensive interference on the final play and defensive interference on a previous ft attempt. The block of dions drive was definite goaltending and there was a play where Drummond dunked a ball that was clearly in the cylinder.

For all the questionable officiating this year, the refs were letting them play at the end of game and the outcome was decided on the court - as it should be, IMO. The "no calls" were consistent both ways - that's all you can ask/hope for.

There is no question in my mind CJ committed a foul, but not during the act of shooting. That was consistent with how the game was being called at that point.

Wouldn't want it any other way.

There is no question in my mind CJ committed a foul, but not during the act of shooting. That was consistent with how the game was being called at that point.

Wouldn't want it any other way.

Was UCONN in the bonus? I can't remember...

Could have called the foul on the arm reach around. Block was clean.

that's what i thought at the time....maybe the crack ref crew weren't in position to see CJ's arm lightly around the guys waist/lower back

either way....i am glad/shocked it wasn't called......upon review, my wife was like "that wasn't a foul"...i love her so

No, I didn't see it across his arms. He blocked the ball clean. I think C.J. was clawing at Smith before he got the shot off, though, and may have had an arm draped around him. How does he hack the arms and yet go up in the air and block the ball on the same play ? Go back and look at the video again. If Roscoe had a better shot opportunity, he would have gotten the call. But when Fab didn't go up for the shot fake, Smith was kind of stuck there.

I think Jordoo's post was tongue and cheek.

I'm not usually an apologist for the officials ... but I don't know how you can see everything going on underneath in the latter part of the second half. On nearly every play, there are 3-4 guys with their arms on/around each other and another 2-3 with their hands over the rim trying for putbacks.

That said, I thought the Melo follow was clearly outside the cylinder and Dion's finger roll had started on its way down. I didn't have a chance to slo-mo the game yet, so not sure about Drummond's put-backs. But regardless, the calls were equally good/bad in this contest -- which is the most important thing.

He was trying to foul but oh well, they got a free 2 points on the play that should have been offensive goaltending.

Absolutely no foul. Uconn guy was out of control and falling backwards. He threw the ball up as he was falling and CJ knocked it back. We picked it up and game over. If there was any contact by Fair it was minimal and caused by the Uconn player.
That's what I saw, no foul, clean block, Smith's feet slipping out from under him. I'll have to go back and look because my view seems to be the minority opinion.

i think this thread clearly shows why it wasnt called. it wasnt clear he fouled him. i saw cjs arm around smith but it was more of a on the back to protect himself move than a foul. smith lost his balance after the shot fake and was trying to avoid the block. if we are. 50 50 about it after seeing replays then its a good no call

IMO, it was an obvious foul.

Almost as bad of a no-call as the cross body block Robinson laid on Pressey at the end of regulation in the KU/Mizzou game.

what say yous?
It was a foul and Melo's putback of CJ's drive might have been basket interference. The refs blow. Pick-up ball where you call your own fouls, is more accurate than these zebras. People say they are biased. Truth is, they are overworked and some are too old. They probably don't even know what teams they are reffing or even what city they are in.

It was absolutely a blatant foul on Fair. In fact, I was re-watching trying to figure if it was intentional in the sense that he figured it might be better to put him on the line than give him a good look? Doesn't make sense but it was that blantant, IMO. Why it's not called just because it's the final 10 seconds is beyond me. I'm not complaining, but only because it went in our favor.

Regardless, that kind of call goes against us and it's this site would be crashing b/c of all the "refs suck" and "why do refs love uconn so much?" threads.
JB instructed CJ to foul if he he got inside.

This wasn't the subject of this thread, but I thought the no call(s) on Dion's drive and dunk in the first half that put us up 25-10 were brutal.

Dion was fouled initially by Boatright as Dion drove past him, Boatright actually grabbed Dion's shoulder to try to hold him up, then Lamb tried to help in the lane and basically slapped/raked at the ball as Dion drove past him and then finally Roscoe Smith hit him across the arms as he went up to dunk. No call. Probably a good thing because the first two fouls, if called probably would have resulted in the basket being waived off.

My opinion, Cuse probably wins even if Roscoe gets the foul called on Fair. Only by 1 or in OT but Cuse made smarter/more attacking plays in the final minute than UConn did and probably would have in OT, if it went there.

Honestly? They had all the momentum. They were at home. We stopped playing interior defense in the final 5 minutes. How many dunks did Drummond have during their run? If there was 30 secs more in the game, they would've fouled Scoop and Waiters to let them attempt to win it from the line. I'm not so optimistic about our chances in overtime. Luckily, we escaped.

Southerland needs to shoot less. Vitale said Boeheim said Southerland needed to shoot his way out of his slump. He's jacking up too many 3's. It's essentially been a wasted possession every time he shoots once Big East play started.

That being said, I actually think we played well. The halves were uneven but we beat a good team on the road, regardless of their record.

Honestly? They had all the momentum. They were at home. We stopped playing interior defense in the final 5 minutes. How many dunks did Drummond have during their run? If there was 30 secs more in the game, they would've fouled Scoop and Waiters to let them attempt to win it from the line. I'm not so optimistic about our chances in overtime. Luckily, we escaped.

Southerland needs to shoot less. Vitale said Boeheim said Southerland needed to shoot his way out of his slump. He's jacking up too many 3's. It's essentially been a wasted possession every time he shoots once Big East play started.

That being said, I actually think we played well. The halves were uneven but we beat a good team on the road, regardless of their record.

I'm actually a UConn fan, if you weren't aware. I was at the game, so no replays. I just thought Cuse made better winning plays at the end of the game. Cuse showed a more mature style at the end. They attacked the rim. UConn settled for jump shots in the final few minutes.

IMO, it was an obvious foul.

Almost as bad of a no-call as the cross body block Robinson laid on Pressey at the end of regulation in the KU/Mizzou game.

This is exactly what I would compare it to.

I don't know why people are reluctant to call a spade a spade when there's a crazy no-call that benefits Syracuse. CJ committed an obvious foul. 30 seconds earlier, he was victimized by an obvious foul that went uncalled. Dion got hit hard on the arm on his dunk attempt. Fab got undercut on another lob. Joseph got called for a travel because his defender shoved him. There are dozens of blown calls - many of which are not difficult calls by any stretch - in all of these games. Officiating in college basketball is not good.

Yes. The "foul" is what led to the award winning flop and forced shot. CJ blocked the shot after Smith was falling away. If Smith had just played it straight and not gone to the obvious flop, he may have gotten the call.

Agree with this. Made this point on the UConn board - as well as Drummond's basket interference on the previous play on his putback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom