So we can remove Zone as the reason we cant rebound | Syracusefan.com

So we can remove Zone as the reason we cant rebound

upperdeck

Living Legend
Good thing we got a few key ones because we still got pounded on the boards again and really its the reason were down much of the first half with all the 2nd chance pts Colgate got.

Not sure how so many mostly athletic guys have no idea how to rebound or where to stand or how to box out.. They all look lost

The lack of offensive rebounds is easy for anyone to understand when you play 4 out and have terrible shot selection.

Defensively? Could be old habits are hard to shake. Idk. It’s on the staff to figure it out.

We really need Donnie to rebound and out-dog the other teams inside, and Elijah to shoot.

yup. several of the early makes were on rebound pass out plays.

The players are just far too passive when the ball is in the air. Ball watching and not getting in position/boxing out.

Perfect example was Malik not boxing out on one of their misses at 78-73 which allowed them an easy board/layup.

It's PURELY about effort.

The lack of offensive rebounds is easy for anyone to understand when you play 4 out and have terrible shot selection.

Defensively? Could be old habits are hard to shake. Idk. It’s on the staff to figure it out.
but 4 out also means you have some great angles to attack the boards from. But that requires moving your feet and knowing where the basket is.

The players are just far too passive when the ball is in the air. Ball watching and not getting in position/boxing out.

Perfect example was Malik not boxing out on one of their misses at 78-73 which allowed them an easy board/layup.

Thats the main issue with our rebounding.. When inside they dont look for a body or box and when outside no one is flowing to the basket as the shot goes up.. Often just take 2-3 steps and you would be able to get a board but the whole team just stands and watches.

not only want but just being active.. When we tried to teach kids how to rebound I would follow a kid around and make him move to the basket. get a kid to stand on each side of the court and only have the job of telling them when to attack on a shot. But honestly did none of them ever rebound in HS?

Its just like baseball when the ball is hit you need to be moving not standing. Ball hit to 3rd 2nd baseman always moves towards 2nd.. Ball hit to first SS always moves towards 2nd.. Same with the outfielders when the ball is hit you move.. Too late to move after the throws are made.

In basketball its much the same.. Ball goes up you either go to the basket or you get back.. no one should be standing and watching. Every time the shot goes up you move. you do that over the 40 missed shots a game and you will find a few.

it's timing , strength and position and desire . something you really should have learned before ever playing college ball. the ball don't magically bounce into your hands. you go and get it.

not only want but just being active.. When we tried to teach kids how to rebound I would follow a kid around and make him move to the basket. get a kid to stand on each side of the court and only have the job of telling them when to attack on a shot. But honestly did none of them ever rebound in HS?

Its just like baseball when the ball is hit you need to be moving not standing. Ball hit to 3rd 2nd baseman always moves towards 2nd.. Ball hit to first SS always moves towards 2nd.. Same with the outfielders when the ball is hit you move.. Too late to move after the throws are made.

In basketball its much the same.. Ball goes up you either go to the basket or you get back.. no one should be standing and watching. Every time the shot goes up you move. you do that over the 40 missed shots a game and you will find a few.
It is staggering how our guys don't move to the basketball at all when a shot comes off the rim.

No because zone did contribute a lot to our historical struggles. But this team is just soft as hell
JB recruiting the softest rosters these eyes have ever seen the last 3 or so seasons had as much to do with our downfall as being married to the 2-3. Thought that might change with a new coach but I guess if you're a dog you're a dog regardless of who is on the sideline.

I hope that will change with Red and brining in a NYC guard is a good start to that.

JB recruiting the softest rosters these eyes have ever seen the last 3 or so seasons had as much to do with our downfall as being married to the 2-3. Thought that might change with a new coach but I guess if you're a dog you're a dog regardless of who is on the sideline.

I hope that will change with Red and brining in a NYC guard is a good start to that.

Quadir might be the most aggressive rebounder next to JJ and Brown. Benny and Bell have to do more. Quadir needs to stop taking 3s if he can't make them. If they sag then slowly take his man inside until he proves he can guard you.

Quadir might be the most aggressive rebounder next to JJ and Brown. Benny and Bell have to do more. Quadir needs to stop taking 3s if he can't make them. If they sag then slowly take his man inside until he proves he can guard you.
I am done hoping that Bell will do more. I have accepted who he is as a "basketball player" and will take my frustrations someplace where there is an actual chance that the player changes/develops.

Agree on Copeland. He is going to be an important part of this team but if he doesn't tighten some decision making up he won't be on the floor enough to make the difference that we need him to make.

It’s insane how weak Mcleod is in the awareness category. He brings almost nothing to the boards at 7’4. Of course at that height you’re going to sacrifice some coordination, but there’s times when he just looks like he doesn’t know what to do. He reminds me of Quincy Ballard who I’ve got to work out with a few times, massive human being but just not a true high level division 1 level player. If he was 7’0 flat he’s D2.

Last edited:

This team is lazy on both ends of the floor. They picked it up when they had to last night and won the game. Hopefully, they took that lesson and realize they have to play with urgency and effort on every play straight from the tip to be a good team. We have no half court offense, so we are going to need to generate turnovers and create easy baskets in order to be able to score consistently.

It’s insane how weak Mcleod is in the awareness category. He brings almost nothing to the boards at 7’4. Of course at that height you’re going to sacrifice some coordination, but there’s times when he just looks like he doesn’t know what to do. He reminds me of Quincy Ballard who I’ve got to work out with a few times, massive human being but just not a true high level division 1 level player. If he was 7’0 flat he’s D2.
Need to get McLeod to work out on the football sleds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom