So we can remove Zone as the reason we cant rebound | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So we can remove Zone as the reason we cant rebound

The players are just far too passive when the ball is in the air. Ball watching and not getting in position/boxing out.

Perfect example was Malik not boxing out on one of their misses at 78-73 which allowed them an easy board/layup.

It's PURELY about effort.
It seemed to me that time after time you would see the shot in the air and 4 of the Syracuse players were already turning to run down court. How can anyone rebound running away from the basket?

It seemed to me that time after time you would see the shot in the air and 4 of the Syracuse players were already turning to run down court. How can anyone rebound running away from the basket?
I think it’s left over instinct from years of getting back into the zone defense

It’s insane how weak Mcleod is in the awareness category. He brings almost nothing to the boards at 7’4. Of course at that height you’re going to sacrifice some coordination, but there’s times when he just looks like he doesn’t know what to do. He reminds me of Quincy Ballard who I’ve got to work out with a few times, massive human being but just not a true high level division 1 level player. If he was 7’0 flat he’s D2.
need to make some special rule and instructions for him...at that height, he can be effective...and he can catch and score too...

but hes really slow...makes jesse look like a gazelle

They've been playing M2M for about 5 minutes. Can we all just give them some more time to evolve and improve?

We have a slow-reacting center, and two 'power forwards' in Benny and Malik who really have no power. And we still have no rebounding intuition or skills.

I would think rebounding would be an easy thing to teach. It's not very nuanced after a few basic skills.

Can't count how many times i saw a shot on the rim and i looked for McLeod and he was being pushed under the rim, with a foot out of bounds. If not that, he was watching the carom from out of reach because he made no effort in advance to secure position and no effort afterward because he was then... out of position.

Our rebounding can be described as incidental.

Copeland is the guy who actually goes after it like he needs it.

That should have taken about one practice to break.
Seriously. Do people think they’ve been playing zone all summer until these games? They’ve been working in man since practice started, playing zone in past seasons has 0.0 effect on this years teams inability to rebound.

Good thing we got a few key ones because we still got pounded on the boards again and really its the reason were down much of the first half with all the 2nd chance pts Colgate got.

Not sure how so many mostly athletic guys have no idea how to rebound or where to stand or how to box out.. They all look
Absolutely not!

Seriously. Do people think they’ve been playing zone all summer until these games? They’ve been working in man since practice started, playing zone in past seasons has 0.0 effect on this years teams inability to rebound.
Plus their entire lives before playing at Syracuse for a few months last year.

Malik is dealing with some injuries. He is much stronger and mobile than he has been able to show. He will rebound better.That being said this team is Charmin soft except for one or two guys.
We really need Donnie to rebound and out-dog the other teams inside, and Elijah to shoot.
I can’t wait for these two next season. There won’t be any COVID super seniors anymore so sport will be getting younger again. Freeman and Choppa are a perfect fit for what Autry wants and what the team will need.

There was no effort to hit the boards on a missed shot. How many times was a shot taken and not one weakside player even attempted to rebound? Too many especially in the first half. The team seemed to be more concerned with getting back on defense than offensive rebounding..
This is what I noticed as well. Once the shot went up almost everyone started leaking back to get set up on defense. This was also why Colgate started to run and drive, they had the whole team running a fast break because even when we were back on defense there was confusion as to who was covering the ball handler resulting in many easy drives to the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom