So, what are these deplorable facilities? | Syracusefan.com

So, what are these deplorable facilities?

CuseACC

Walk On
All we have been hearing about are the "crappy" football facilities. So what exactly is so terrible about said facilities? Is it the old Manley? Is it the weight rooms? The locker rooms? A lack of modern technology with regard to video equipment, meeting rooms, showers, practice field? All of the above? I don't go up there to see the practices or the facilities, so what exactly is so bad about it?

Well, I assume the fact that the field in Manley is only 80 yards long has a lot to do with it.

Yea that I would agree with lol. When I had seen that I thought it a bit odd. The University appears not willing to upgrade. So was this move to the ACC all about basketball? Makes you wonder just how much better we would be with upgraded facilities.

All we have been hearing about are the "crappy" football facilities. So what exactly is so terrible about said facilities? Is it the old Manley? Is it the weight rooms? The locker rooms? A lack of modern technology with regard to video equipment, meeting rooms, showers, practice field? All of the above? I don't go up there to see the practices or the facilities, so what exactly is so bad about it?
Shooting from the hip based only on what I have read/seen here. Dome locker rooms are really bad. No full-sized single use modern indoor training facility. Medical/rehab area is so old and icky it has trilobites scuttling along the bottom of the one cold tub. In general, even when things are modern-ish and OK, like the weight room, they're still smaller than our competitors'.

After the latest renovation to Manley and the players' lounge etc it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but there are still a couple glaring sores and overall we're a Camry, not a Lexus GS.

Who the #### authorized an 80 yard practice facility?!?! If I was any other coach, I was just tell the recruit "Yeaaaa ummm Syracuse has an 80 yard practice field...Let me know when you would like to verbally announce your commitment to Fill-in-the-blank".

As far as the Dome locker rooms - one factor to consider is that we have roughly 500 opposing teams players who see them each year. For most of them that is their impression of the program's facilities. Those 500 players have former high school coaches and former (younger) HS teammates and possibly younger siblings who play the game. Word of mouth - just saying.

Who the #### authorized an 80 yard practice facility?!?! If I was any other coach, I was just tell the recruit "Yeaaaa ummm Syracuse has an 80 yard practice field...Let me know when you would like to verbally announce your commitment to Fill-in-the-blank".
At least one informed poster, maybe bees, has said that if you watch an actual practice in there, you will see that 80 yards is not a problem. It's certainly long enough to practice kickoff coverage, right?

They can't practice kicks in there either cause of the roof height.

Believe it or not the NY Giants had an indoor 80- yard practice facility until about 4 years ago. I'm not defending or admonishing it, I don't pretend to know any details but making the best of what we had at the time is what it is. I'd be curious to know how many teams had their own full-sized facilities at the collegiate level.

LOL, it's not the shrunken 80 yard practice field that prevents us to practice Special Teams, its the roof height... Pretty sure this statement is all that needs to be said about our facility issue.

The also have a 100 yard indoor field. On campus.

Excellent points. I am sure when Gus Edwards visits Florida State they will bring this up. Very frustrating.

Funny thing is that Manley was originally built . . . . get this . . . . as an indoor football practice facility when Coach Ben was here.

The also have a 100 yard indoor field. On campus.
Obviously but im assuming they can't practice their every day. Its not just this one issue, its just on top of old, outdated, cheap this, that and the other thing...we also have a practice facility with an 80 yard field and a low roof.

Well hopefully they don't try to save money by hiring the construction crew that built the Cowboys practice facility from a few years ago.

Funny thread. Someone linked facilities at peer schools last week. I looked at 2 of them. Neither had a 100 yd field in their IPF. One was 90 one was 70 I think. Ours is a little more than 80.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Who the #### authorized an 80 yard practice facility?!?!

Manley was built to replace the old Archbold Gymnasium, which was constructed in 1908 for a mere $400,000. The field house is named for Dr. George L. Manley, a University trustee and graduate of the College of Medicine, who was the benefactor of the building.

When construction for the $2 million state-of-the-art facility began in the early 1960's it was intended to be used primarily as an indoor practice facility for the football program. Upon completion, Manley was used as an indoor practice facility for many of the Orange's intercollegiate athletic teams, as a competition site for some of those teams and for multi-purpose scheduling of non-athletics events and student activities.

http://www.suathletics.com/facilities/manley.aspx

Funny thread. Someone linked facilities at peer schools last week. I looked at 2 of them. Neither had a 100 yd field in their IPF. One was 90 one was 70 I think. Ours is a little more than 80.

Ok, then I apologize. I thought for sure others had normal sized fields. Maybe some do, but if its not standard then its not a huge issue.

Obviously but im assuming they can't practice their every day. Its not just this one issue, its just on top of old, outdated, cheap this, that and the other thing...we also have a practice facility with an 80 yard field and a low roof.
In the old days, as cars got longer, people built little extensions on their garages to accomodate the longer vehicle. You mean they couldn't have just built a 20 yard extension on Manley and called it a day?

They can't? It has goal posts and I know players have punted in there.

Anyone questioning our facilities and if they are good enough needs to read this thread:

http://syracusefan.com/threads/clemson-outsiders-take-on-your-facilities-debate-long.40689/
That thread was great. Really showed us what we need to compete and what happens when you do upgrade facilities. The fact that Bowden just threw some construction vehicles out there and ripped up some ground to make it "appear" like they were building facilities until the approval came through got some bigger name recruits to commit is crazy, but thats where were at.

Lockers, training / rehab stuff.

Manley isn't as big a deal, I mean this isn't hoops, not scrimmaging 11 on 11 100 games daily indoors.

Well, I assume the fact that the field in Manley is only 80 yards long has a lot to do with it.
I really don't get the issue with 80 vs 100. Is it we can't practice the 100 yd kickoff return?

when we get 80 yard kickers and throwers I'll worry about that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2