So, what are these deplorable facilities? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So, what are these deplorable facilities?

It is a short term (no pun intended) solution. The field length is defined by the dimensions of Manley Field House. It is an improvement over what SU had before which was nothing.

I do wonder what the cost of an indoor facility would be. The Bills have a dome-like structure that is a full field, but it isn't palatial by any means. (think golf dome)

Most college IPF's are less than 100 yds. I read one article that said only a few do. I also read that Oregon was voted as having the #1 IPF in the country (wonder why). Not fair to comapre us to them as one poster tried to do. BTW, Michigan was #2 in the articles opinion.

I knew they were about our size. One other thing to consider besides state vs private is fan base "rabidness (is that a word?)". Seems like most of the southern type schools have $$$ and facilites out of the wazoo (except for Miami?). Football is a culture down there and much different than NE schools. Some of those people would mortgage their houses to donate to a better football program.

I'd mortgage my house if the university's rankings would go up for once. I went to Syracuse in 1993 when the rankings were equal to BC. Now BC is in the 30s and we're ranked along the likes of Northeastern and Maryland. Those schools suck. I'm glad we aren't like southern schools but i'd prefer we were like northern schools and focused on increasing the rankings of the school. Really distressing.

Here's an article on FSU's IPF which I think just broke ground. They are a state school and have had a pretty darn good football program historically.

FSU

I'd mortgage my house if the university's rankings would go up for once. I went to Syracuse in 1993 when the rankings were equal to BC. Now BC is in the 30s and we're ranked along the likes of Northeastern and Maryland. Those schools suck. I'm glad we aren't like southern schools but i'd prefer we were like northern schools and focused on increasing the rankings of the school. Really distressing.

I am not an alumni, but I would bet most alumni would agree with you.

The also have a 100 yard indoor field. On campus.
I'm sure the situation has improved somewhat by now, but the month before the first Pinstripe Bowl the situation was a little chaotic. Once the home portion of the basketball season starts and the football team gets invited to a bowl, therefor allowing the football team additional practice time, the current facilities seem to get overcrowded. You also have to keep in mind that other sports players want to use Manley also. It probably would help if we had better weather in December but...well you see my point.

I'd love to see a specific accounting of (1) what we need to build, (2) where we are going to put it and (3) how much it would cost.

Do we need to build what Tennessee and Oregon built? If not, what are our models, specifically? I just don't want to continue to hear that our facilities are inadequate with the evidence being "look at those other schools" and no specifics.

I knew they were about our size. One other thing to consider besides state vs private is fan base "rabidness (is that a word?)". Seems like most of the southern type schools have $$$ and facilites out of the wazoo (except for Miami?). Football is a culture down there and much different than NE schools. Some of those people would mortgage their houses to donate to a better football program.

Not to mention our rabidness (at whatever level) is more geographically diluted than it used to be... i.e. baby boomers that once packed the dome now retired in florida, etc., their children that once packed the dome as kids have now graduated college and moved elsewhere looking for work...

Economically, Cuse ain't happening on any a number of levels compared to the past...

It is still troubling that we can't put together a patchwork of big fish alums that care enough to solidify the campaign...