So, what are these deplorable facilities? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, what are these deplorable facilities?

I really don't get the issue with 80 vs 100. Is it we can't practice the 100 yd kickoff return?
Well if other teams dont have 100 yds IPF's either then maybe its not as big of a deal but its allllllll about appearance. I would imagine if some rich UCONN donor funded a pimped out IPF and facility upgrade for the football team that A) they would recruit like a mofo and B) they would get their invite to a power conference.

Well if other teams dont have 100 yds IPF's either then maybe its not as big of a deal but its allllllll about appearance. I would imagine if some rich UCONN donor funded a pimped out IPF and facility upgrade for the football team that A) they would recruit like a mofo and B) they would get their invite to a power conference.
Love the subtle sarcasm.

Lockers, training / rehab stuff.

Manley isn't as big a deal, I mean this isn't hoops, not scrimmaging 11 on 11 100 games daily indoors.

From that comparison thread the other day these are the two things that stood out the most.

And really, they shouldn't necessitate some massive capital campaign to fix. I would imagine a few million would buy us a spankin' locker room and training/medical facilities that would at least be comparable to the freakin' Gold's Gym near me.

:bang:

Our facilities have received band-aid type upgrades in the past few years -- but they are still woefully lacking in comparison with the schools against whom we compete for recruits. In fact, they have been a prime subject of negative recruiting for years.

During the past year, we've spent about $3 million in some upgrades for field turf, the locker rooms, the cafeteria and the players' lounge. However, the actual "training" facilities, such as whirlpools are still woefully inferior to those at other schools. Those are the kinds of things for which Doug has been trying to raise money for four years. He made a small dent this year...with the aforementioned upgrades, but there are still miles to go.

Personally, I believe the University saw the invite to the ACC as an alternative to upgrading the football practice facilities. They probably thought the ACC brand would be enough to offset the need for improved facilities as far as football goes. As for basketball, the Melo center speaks for itself. Just look what it has done for recruiting. Maybe this situation will wake their asses up.

Our facilities have received band-aid type upgrades in the past few years -- but they are still woefully lacking in comparison with the schools against whom we compete for recruits. In fact, they have been a prime subject of negative recruiting for years.

During the past year, we've spent about $3 million in some upgrades for field turf, the locker rooms, the cafeteria and the players' lounge. However, the actual "training" facilities, such as whirlpools are still woefully inferior to those at other schools. Those are the kinds of things for which Doug has been trying to raise money for four years. He made a small dent this year...with the aforementioned upgrades, but there are still miles to go.

Yahtzee.

Personally, I believe the University saw the invite to the ACC as an alternative to upgrading the football practice facilities. They probably thought the ACC brand would be enough to offset the need for improved facilities as far as football goes. As for basketball, the Melo center speaks for itself. Just look what it has done for recruiting. Maybe this situation will wake their asses up.

Whose ass?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Herr we go again. Unless we tear down Manley the building itself isn't going to be all new and shiny. Other than the med stuff, the other things are functionally the same as most of our peers. IPF, weight room, meeting rooms, auditorium, memorabilia, etc.

Think the plan was to keep Manley for lax and soccer and build new for football.

Herr we go again. Unless we tear down Manley the building itself isn't going to be all new and shiny. Other than the med stuff, the other things are functionally the same as most of our peers. IPF, weight room, meeting rooms, auditorium, memorabilia, etc.

Functionally the same is not going to cut it in today's recruiting world. If SU can scape up the nickels and dimes to build a new facility with improved treatment rooms it puts the program on much stronger footing.

I saw those pictures, if by "functionally" you mean "their weight room had weights and their meeting room has chairs, just like us" then sure. But our stuff generally looked like old crap compared to most of what our real competition has.

Dammit! Does Syracuse really have zero very rich alumni who like football?

Think the plan was to keep Manley for lax and soccer and build new for football.
I hope Manley can support indoor track once again...a big plus for SU to have MFH as an indoor track facility.

Dammit! Does Syracuse really have zero very rich alumni who like football?

I'm rich and want to donate...just waiting for my friend the Nigerian Prince to sent me the royal monies and I get a huge cut. All my money was sent to Prince Kufour Otumfuo the elder son of the late King Otumfuo Opoku ware II whose demise occur following a brief illness. He is such a nice fella and my money will help him get his money to the USA.

Joyce, last spring I presented a fundraising idea to Dr. Gross and Chris Gedney called "44 for football". I just took a leap of faith and emailed both of them. Chris responded to my email, and called me. They liked the idea, but said they needed some staff and funding to implement it, and thought it might be in place by August. Nothing ever came of it. I also emailed Chris again last week to ask about the campaign, and have not heard back, altho I think the athletic dept. might be a little busy right now. I have never been asked for money for any athletic dept. purpose. While I am not able to donate much, you know I am a crazy fan. We need to get donations from all types of people, not just big donors. An organized campaign would help with both types of donors. And it is important for everyone to feel involved with rebuilding the football program. A camapign like this would build momentum for donating, pull at football heartstrings, and hopefully snowball into a decent amount of money for facilities. A lot of $44s can add up. Small donors often become future big donors. Similar concept to Generation Orange. Get people donating early, and they will donate for many years. The premise was to donate as little as $44. and any other amount with the #44 in it. So if someone wanted to donate 4.4 million, that would work. But so would $144, $440 $4,400 etc. I have written about it on this board quite a bit recently. I also have tried to start a grassroots campaign with a facebook page for "Syracuse University $44 for football". I am not looking for any glory by this being done. I am just trying to continue a love for SU football and build a new football tradition that I have grown to know since I attended my first game in 1959 at the age of 5. Why are things like this not done though? I have started sending in $44 amounts on my own.

I'm rich and want to donate...just waiting for my friend the Nigerian Prince to sent me the royal monies and I get a huge cut. All my money was sent to Prince Kufour Otumfuo the elder son of the late King Otumfuo Opoku ware II whose demise occur following a brief illness. He is such a nice fella and my money will help him get his money to the USA.
Get in line man ive been waiting for months on mine

Brown v. Board of Education comes to mind, with a little twist. "Functionally same is not equal"

That was the plan.

Functionally the same is not going to cut it in today's recruiting world. If SU can scape up the nickels and dimes to build a new facility with improved treatment rooms it puts the program on much stronger footing.

Thay are still $1M short of having the money that they already spent on what they have done. And some of our stuff is just not that bad. The weight room is fine. Manley indoor practice is fine (but it is shared with other sports and not football only), the locker room is small but doesn't look that bad. The common areas are real nice both in the main lobby and the football wing. Bur the structure itself isn't real sweet and like I said, the field itself is shared. It is why Marrone wanted his own IPF. Shiney and new and footballs.

i would think that training facilities would be a top priority of SU whether they got donations or not. Health of Student athletes first and foremost.

Joyce, last spring I presented a fundraising idea to Dr. Gross and Chris Gedney called "44 for football". I just took a leap of faith and emailed both of them. Chris responded to my email, and called me. They liked the idea, but said they needed some staff and funding to implement it, and thought it might be in place by August. Nothing ever came of it. I also emailed Chris again last week to ask about the campaign, and have not heard back, altho I think the athletic dept. might be a little busy right now. I have never been asked for money for any athletic dept. purpose. While I am not able to donate much, you know I am a crazy fan. We need to get donations from all types of people, not just big donors. An organized campaign would help with both types of donors. And it is important for everyone to feel involved with rebuilding the football program. A camapign like this would build momentum for donating, pull at football heartstrings, and hopefully snowball into a decent amount of money for facilities. A lot of $44s can add up. Small donors often become future big donors. Similar concept to Generation Orange. Get people donating early, and they will donate for many years. The premise was to donate as little as $44. and any other amount with the #44 in it. So if someone wanted to donate 4.4 million, that would work. But so would $144, $440 $4,400 etc. I have written about it on this board quite a bit recently. I also have tried to start a grassroots campaign with a facebook page for "Syracuse University $44 for football". I am not looking for any glory by this being done. I am just trying to continue a love for SU football and build a new football tradition that I have grown to know since I attended my first game in 1959 at the age of 5. Why are things like this not done though? I have started sending in $44 amounts on my own.

That's a great idea and a shame if this can't get up and running!

Not anywhere cose to our "peers" have you really researched what you are talking about ???

Nebraka's facilities were completed in 2006 and are now 7 years "OLD".

take a look:
http://thisisnebraska.com/fb_facilities.php?sport=fb

Brown v. Board of Education comes to mind, with a little twist. "Functionally same is not equal"

And that is why we want a new "building". I just spent 2 1/2 days up there. It is nothing great but not as bad as some make it. It isn't shiney like the Melo Center but MUCH better than it was a few years ago. The sport that should be pissed, if they still use it, is womens lax. Their locker room looks like a HS locker with a plate on the front door saying womens lax.

i would think that training facilities would be a top priority of SU whether they got donations or not. Health of Student athletes first and foremost.

completely agree with that.