So, what are these deplorable facilities? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So, what are these deplorable facilities?

And that is why we want a new "building". I just spent 2 1/2 days up there. It is nothing great but not as bad as some make it. It isn't shiney like the Melo Center but MUCH better than it was a few years ago. The sport that should be pissed, if they still use it, is womens lax. Their locker room looks like a HS locker with a plate on the front door saying womens lax.

Outside of the melo center i think everything is in need of a overhaul and that includes the Dome. Wish we had the funding for it.

And that is why we want a new "building". I just spent 2 1/2 days up there. It is nothing great but not as bad as some make it. It isn't shiney like the Melo Center but MUCH better than it was a few years ago. The sport that should be pissed, if they still use it, is womens lax. Their locker room looks like a HS locker with a plate on the front door saying womens lax.

The problem is that no recruit knows, or cares, what things used to look like or how much better it may be now. The know that it doesn't look as good as the other school's they're visiting.

That's it. That's all there is to it.

SU is in the ACC and has chosen to take part in the arms race.

I saw those pictures, if by "functionally" you mean "their weight room had weights and their meeting room has chairs, just like us" then sure. But our stuff generally looked like old crap compared to most of what our real competition has.

not really. and i have been in both. the weight room is nice. it is 11k sq feet. rutgers is 13k. i guess that must be the deal breaker.

Well, I assume the fact that the field in Manley is only 80 yards long has a lot to do with it.

Apples and oranges but for reference the New England Patriots indoor practice facility is only 80 yards too.

The problem is that no recruit knows, or cares, what things used to look like or how much better it may be now. The know that it doesn't look as good as the other school's they're visiting.

That's it. That's all there is to it.

SU is in the ACC and has chosen to take part in the arms race.

donate a few million or get your friends to do it.

Oregon facilities:

i'm guessing you don't know how oregon got those facilities. as long as you're comparing us to nebraska and oregon, why not texas, alabama and the ny giants?

An 80 yard indoor practice facility is certainly not scaring away potential recruits. If that was the biggest problem, then there'd be no problem at all.

I hope Manley can support indoor track once again...a big plus for SU to have MFH as an indoor track facility.

This is another downside to the Band-Aid approach. The football team has a facility that everyone complains about, and the (much-improved) track program loses all of its indoor jumping facilities and its nearly new standard-sized indoor track is replaced by a 247-meter model with three lanes and no straightaway.

Not sure that expenditure was a wise one.

when is it time to look at getting someone/s new at the fundraising position. obviously gedney?, or whoever is involved isn't getting it done. sure people have to give money, but what was it i saw 180k since Summer? Good lord. If I wasn't performing at my job I would be let go. Maybe time to get someone new in there.

Whose ass?

The Board of Trustees' asses. They make the monetary decisions. It gets frustrating when it seems every time money needs to be spent, it's always the- "only if it comes from endowments or alumni". Open the checkbook and let's start getting serious around here.

i'm guessing you don't know how oregon got those facilities. as long as you're comparing us to nebraska and oregon, why not texas, alabama and the ny giants?

I know exactly how Oregon got those facilities, are they not our peers? Are they not FBS schools just like SU ?

I know exactly how Oregon got those facilities, are they not our peers? Are they not FBS schools just like SU ?

No they are not our peer and we don't have a Phil Knight.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Its really simple, compare the facilities to a house show on HGTV...

A young couple walks into a new house, with granite counters, hardwood floors, tile baths, stainless appliances, and they go ohhh aghhhh.

They walk into a 70's split level that has had piecemeal cosmetic band-aid renos over the last 30 years, formica tops, vanilla appliances, old carpets, wood paneling, and they're like nahhh, we're not feeling this.

Our peers are the new construction, we are the 70's split. You can overcome the 70's split, if we have Nick Saben, Urban Meyer coaching etc, but we don't.

As long as this is not rectified, you will NEVER get the kid to commit here when he has better choices. Now, I say this, facilities are NOT the end all be all, but good facilities HELP. And frankly, we need all the HELP we can get.

WOW that Tennessee facility is unbelievable. How in the world do you convince a kid to come here and not go there? Ladies and gentlemen... Laray Smith is going to Tennessee. Mark my words. I will be very surprised if he comes here.

I did some contract work on the Manley upgrade. I sure thought it was a temporary fix. It's been awhile now. It was suppose to become an indoor Lax practice facility. Desko can't be thrilled still having to share the field either. The football team always had dibs first and rightfully so. But I could see where coaches might get frustrated.

Our facilities have received band-aid type upgrades in the past few years -- but they are still woefully lacking in comparison with the schools against whom we compete for recruits. In fact, they have been a prime subject of negative recruiting for years.

During the past year, we've spent about $3 million in some upgrades for field turf, the locker rooms, the cafeteria and the players' lounge. However, the actual "training" facilities, such as whirlpools are still woefully inferior to those at other schools. Those are the kinds of things for which Doug has been trying to raise money for four years. He made a small dent this year...with the aforementioned upgrades, but there are still miles to go.

So is the lack of action on this the big reason he left?

Well if other teams dont have 100 yds IPF's either then maybe its not as big of a deal but its allllllll about appearance. I would imagine if some rich UCONN donor funded a pimped out IPF and facility upgrade for the football team that A) they would recruit like a mofo and B) they would get their invite to a power conference.

So do we have any rich donors? Do we need to change the curriculum?

Its really simple, compare the facilities to a house show on HGTV...

A young couple walks into a new house, with granite counters, hardwood floors, tile baths, stainless appliances, and they go ohhh aghhhh.

They walk into a 70's split level that has had piecemeal cosmetic band-aid renos over the last 30 years, formica tops, vanilla appliances, old carpets, wood paneling, and they're like nahhh, we're not feeling this.

Our peers are the new construction, we are the 70's split. You can overcome the 70's split, if we have Nick Saben, Urban Meyer coaching etc, but we don't.

As long as this is not rectified, you will NEVER get the kid to commit here when he has better choices. Now, I say this, facilities are NOT the end all be all, but good facilities HELP. And frankly, we need all the HELP we can get.

It's a good analogy, but a really sad one.

When I see those HGTV shows, my first thought is something along the lines of "Who are these rubes? Don't they have any taste at all?"