So, what are these deplorable facilities? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So, what are these deplorable facilities?

No they are not our peer and we don't have a Phil Knight.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry - this is so half glass empty I can't stand it. Maybe people with millions don't give it because they hear this constant hum of "we'll never be good enough." That's why I smiled today when Gross was super-positive about everything - that's how you build something of value - on belief.

Planned and paid for Tennessee facilities:

This and the Oregon clips are a parody of what college football has become. The Oregon facilties are like a 5 star hotel and Tennessee's look like something the Pentagon came up with. I doubt any NFL team has anything like this. Both seem designed to isolate the football players from actual campus life and underscore that their real function is to win football games. If this is what it takes, let the schools who want to spend this kind of money got in the 4 x 16 confercnes and form their own organization and left SU remind "behind" with the other schools and compete against teams made up of college students.

It amazes me how many posts clueless people make.

It amazes me how many posts clueless people make.

Kind of an all-purpose criticism when you don't identify which posts you are talking about.

I'm sorry - this is so half glass empty I can't stand it. Maybe people with millions don't give it because they hear this constant hum of "we'll never be good enough." That's why I smiled today when Gross was super-positive about everything - that's how you build something of value - on belief.

And it is fantasy land when people ask why we can't have what Clemson and Oregon have. Reality doesn't mean negative. I know who our peer schools are. It's obvious some don't.

For fundraising for a new football complex why not do it around 3 of our famous 44's, Brown, Davis, Little?

And it is fantasy land when people ask why we can't have what Clemson and Oregon have. Reality doesn't mean negative. I know who our peer schools are. It's obvious some don't.

Mark me down as a clueless optimist then. I remember when Oregon was a laughing stock and Clemson was irrelevant (3 years ago?)... And ND whom we beat with the worst coach of our history not too long ago.

Saying what we can't do is a sure sign we'll stay where we are. Must be the weather or lack of sun around here or something. I don't get it.

Mark me down as a clueless optimist then. I remember when Oregon was a laughing stock and Clemson was irrelevant (3 years ago?)... And ND whom we beat with the worst coach of our history not too long ago.

Saying what we can't do is a sure sign we'll stay where we are. Must be the weather or lack of sun around here or something. I don't get it.

Phil Knight. Nike. 100's of millions pumped into the school. Yea, its the weather.

Phil Knight. Nike. 100's of millions pumped into the school. Yea, its the weather.

I was referring to the CNY weather and its affect on thinking everything sucks.

But yeah - my optimism includes believing that an education from SU, hard work, and a little luck can lead one of the alumni to a crap-ton of cash. They choose to make a huge donation because someone believes we can get there.

Honestly, that's the only way you convince someone to make that kind of donation - they have to believe that they are contributing to a compelling vision.

Not: "Look, I think we can continue to be mediocre mr.moneybags. We just need you to contribute a large sum to beating our peers, UCONN and Eastern Michigan. We're trying to barely stay relevant here."

The worst thing aobut college football is that recruiting is dominated by money, the type of school, (state schools with low tuition and academic requirements plus the state and the legislature behind them), and the location of the school with the quality of high school play there.

The saving grace of it is that all of this gives them an advantage in recruiting teenagers. We blew out Lousivlle who blew out Florida. We blew out West Virginia twice who blew out Clemson. We've beaten Nebraska, Penn State, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Ohio State, Texas and Michigan. And we should have beaten Oklahoma, Tennessee and Florida State, too but for our own bungles and some strange officals calls. If it were all about recruiting 25 year olds, we'd have no chance at all. But it isn't.

And we are behind our peers as well. Unless you think UCONN and RU aren't our peers. Or we could go with Baylor, a private school who is now building a 250 million dollar stadium to match their brand new indoor facility. I know, I know, we don't have the donors.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072012aab.html

Maybe Bob Congel could put a new stadium and practice facility down near Destiny. There is a man who knows how to secure funding.

And we are behind our peers as well. Unless you think UCONN and RU aren't our peers. Or we could go with Baylor, a private school who is now building a 250 million dollar stadium to match their brand new indoor facility. I know, I know, we don't have the donors.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072012aab.html

Take a look around at many schools that are our "peers" and our facilities look like we are in the dark ages compared to them. Rutgers, Connecticut, West Virginia, etc. Even much smaller schools are spending 30, 40, 50 million on facilities and I think that SU has spent maybe 10 million with the new upgrades, the weight room and upgraded Manley in the last 10 years.

Small school entering the Big East upgrading football and basketball by $160 million.
http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-ups-the-sports-ante-by-160-million-1708595.php

Houston?
You mean that state school with double the enrollment?

Yes the University of Houston with an endowment half of SU, with a 32K seat stadium that was in Conference USA. Will be spending more $$ in the next 5 years than SU has on athletic facilities in its existence.

Houston?
You mean that state school with double the enrollment?

He must not have read the paragraph about the unknown completion date because now they have to go raise the money including $30m naming rights.

Every time someone complains about the facilities they need to look in the mirror.

He must not have read the paragraph about the unknown completion date because now they have to go raise the money including $30m naming rights.

Every time someone complains about the facilities they need to look in the mirror.

You must have missed the part about the goal for fundraising is supposed to only take 12 months.

In any case, my point was that SU hasn't even gone down a road even remotely having a vision like this for athletics. For academics, the goal was $1 billion if I remember correctly and was wrapped up in 5 years but all for academic facilities. All of that money has been spent already.

Where is the vision for the athletic department?

Or are they going to build it one building at a time like the stages of an old farmhouse? House first, porch in 10 years, maybe a deck 5 years after that. Then a barn and a garage off the barn, you get my point.

yes, because we should be compared to clemson. we aren't EVER getting there. everyone that keeps complaining should pony up.

Your right we have no peers.. a D1 program struggling to find the money to upgrade their facilities... Ours is a singular, rooted an unique problem which no program has ever faced.

We are so uniquely unlucky.

You must have missed the part about the goal for fundraising is supposed to only take 12 months.

Yes, that is their goal. I bet they meet it.

Your right we have no peers.. a D1 program struggling to find the money to upgrade their facilities... Ours is a singular, rooted an unique problem which no program has ever faced.

We are so uniquely unlucky.

We have plenty of peers. Some are athletic peers, some are academic peers, some are number of alumni peers, some are financial peers. But Clemson is not our peer when it comes to having $$$$$. Being a small private school has it's challenges and limitations.

We have plenty of peers. Some are athletic peers, some are academic peers, some are number of alumni peers, some are financial peers. But Clemson is not our peer when it comes to having $$$$$. Being a small private school has it's challenges and limitations.

Certainly where $$$ and the disparity where public vs. private institutional funding is concerned. They have apples, we have oranges budgetarily.

Since they are not our peers, let's do a quick compare:

Syracuse University:
Established March 24, 1870[1]
Endowment $1.01 billion[2]
Provost Eric Spina
Academic staff 1,513[3]
Students 20,407[4]
Location Syracuse, New York, United States
Campus Urban, 200 acres[5][6]
Orange
Athletics 20 varsity teams
Big East, ACC (July 1, 2013), CHA,EARC

Clemson:
Established 1889
Type Public
Endowment $473.7 million (FY 2011)[1]
Provost Doris R. "Dori" Helms
Academic staff 1,398[2]
Undergraduates 16,562 (Fall 2012)[3]
4,206 (Fall 2012)[4]
Total enrollment = 20,768 (Fall 2012)[5]
17px-WMA_button2b.png
34°40′42″N 82°50′21″W
Campus Rural
17,000 acres (6,880 ha)
Former names Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina
Clemson Orange and Regalia[6]

Public vs. private aside, I was very surprised to see that their enrollment size is very similar to ours... I had expected they would be at least twice our size in terms of student head counts... No factual reason why - just thought they were much bigger.

Holy crap the endowment is $1,000,000,000 really can't grab $25,000,000 or so to pay back what Buzz and Jake transferred out of the Athletic Department?

Who the #### authorized an 80 yard practice facility?!?! If I was any other coach, I was just tell the recruit "Yeaaaa ummm Syracuse has an 80 yard practice field...Let me know when you would like to verbally announce your commitment to Fill-in-the-blank".

It is a short term (no pun intended) solution. The field length is defined by the dimensions of Manley Field House. It is an improvement over what SU had before which was nothing.

I do wonder what the cost of an indoor facility would be. The Bills have a dome-like structure that is a full field, but it isn't palatial by any means. (think golf dome)

Certainly where $$$ and the disparity where public vs. private institutional funding is concerned. They have apples, we have oranges budgetarily.

Since they are not our peers, let's do a quick compare:

Syracuse University:
Established March 24, 1870[1]
Endowment $1.01 billion[2]
Provost Eric Spina
Academic staff 1,513[3]
Students 20,407[4]
Location Syracuse, New York, United States
Campus Urban, 200 acres[5][6]
Orange
Athletics 20 varsity teams
Big East, ACC (July 1, 2013), CHA,EARC

Clemson:
Established 1889
Type Public
Endowment $473.7 million (FY 2011)[1]
Provost Doris R. "Dori" Helms
Academic staff 1,398[2]
Undergraduates 16,562 (Fall 2012)[3]
4,206 (Fall 2012)[4]
Total enrollment = 20,768 (Fall 2012)[5]
Campus Rural
17,000 acres (6,880 ha)
Former names Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina
Clemson Orange and Regalia[6]

Public vs. private aside, I was very surprised to see that their enrollment size is very similar to ours... I had expected they would be at least twice our size in terms of student head counts... No factual reason why - just thought they were much bigger.

I knew they were about our size. One other thing to consider besides state vs private is fan base "rabidness (is that a word?)". Seems like most of the southern type schools have $$$ and facilites out of the wazoo (except for Miami?). Football is a culture down there and much different than NE schools. Some of those people would mortgage their houses to donate to a better football program.