So what goes with the PAC 12? | Syracusefan.com

So what goes with the PAC 12?

I don't know that all this conference stuff means as much as its made out to during the tournament. So many factors go into who wins and by how much in these games. That includes a lot of random chance on 800 things. Sometimes those coin flips will align and it will somehow appear one conference or another has a major edge. Maybe they do, maybe not. If anything, I'd look at multiyear trends vs single year results. As an example, the single event results would tell us that Syracuse and FSU are the two best teams in the ACC. I don't know that we'd really think that is true.

I always thought the pac12 had a advantage over alll other P5 conf. because they cover the whole west coast and for the recruits in the area which is massive obviously the pac12 has no competition in the area.
The east coast n midwest...completely different story

USC and Oregon seemed like obvious upset picks, though not necessarily so convincingly. Kansas stinks and Iowa wasn’t going to matchup well. UCLA and Oregon St are surprising.

Oregon State has beaten in win-or-go-home games:

UCLA
Oregon
Colorado
Tennessee
Oklahoma State

That’s two sweet 16 teams, a team that beat USC three times this season, a pre-season top-15 team, and the potential number one draft pick who had 10 Q1 wins this year.

An absolutely insane run.

I don't know that all this conference stuff means as much as its made out to during the tournament. So many factors go into who wins and by how much in these games. That includes a lot of random chance on 800 things. Sometimes those coin flips will align and it will somehow appear one conference or another has a major edge. Maybe they do, maybe not. If anything, I'd look at multiyear trends vs single year results. As an example, the single event results would tell us that Syracuse and FSU are the two best teams in the ACC. I don't know that we'd really think that is true.
But if Pac 10 teams all lost early, you'd be saying they didn't deserve all those invites. Also it seems that the Big10 has the reputation as the best conference or 1 of the best but get teams losing early. Same for the ACC. It comes down to the P5 conferences get to many invites at the expense of the mid-majors. That said because of that "bias" has gotten SU in the last 3 times. Could it be that alot of the P5 teams don't take mid-majors seriously? Or in this case the "weak" Pac 12?

So ESPN says this is the first time 2 PAC 12 schools have ever played one another in the NCAA tournament.

I wonder if that excludes the PAC 8/10 portion of their history. Because that would be pretty pathetic if they never had 2 teams from that conference play in the tourney before.

Last edited:
He means there has never been a NCAA game between 2 current PAC-12 teams.
Like we played Duke in 2018 Sweet sixteen or North Carolina in 2016 Final Four or Marquette 2013 elite eight.

Oregon-USC are playing Sunday for a spot in the elite 8.
LOL. Gotcha!

They hired a lot of good coaches and it is about time that started to pay off. They also gave the coaches time to work through bad seasons and slow starts. Tinkle is in his 7th year at OSU. Enfield in his 8th year. Cronin is a really good coach who had some bad Tournament luck at Cincy. Hopefully Washington will give Hop a little more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom