So, what is a successful season? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, what is a successful season?

I can see a path to 8-9-10 with games if we play well we can win..

I would be happy with 6-7 but 8 shows a progress that we didnt just fall apart after the first 5.

if we had just 1 game left against any of these teams you could find a way we win against any of them. We beat a better Clemson team with a team that is not as good as this one hopes to be.. If we got 2-3 at home the rest of the way and Beat BC anything else is gravy but gravy is good too.

Just making a bowl is thinking too small. This is a very good team. The level of the qb’s performance is unbelievable. Best rb in the conference. A core six group of receivers that are all playing career best, one elevating to all conference level. A veteran ol that is capable of more than they have appeared to do to this point, but has graded highly on pff and football outsiders run blocking. Still need to do better in pass pro.

defense, best pair of corners in the conference, excellent lb’s, very good additions to the secondary. The dl scraps and makes disruptive plays. Great tackling team. You don’t get to be 12 on total defense and 9th in scoring defense just because you whipped an fcs school. Those numbers are not flukes.

specials, AS has been great, the KO guy is kicking them deep, and punter is an asset.

these guys have played better than I expected, I’m talking about how they have played not the record, and I was expecting no worse than 4-1 at this point record wise.

the level of coaching in all three phases is the best collectively as it has been in a long time.

yep the schedule is hard but nine wins means going .500 the rest of the way. They can do that.

While I would love to see 8 wins, getting one more defines success this year. Amazing start to the season but this isn’t 87

Expectations:

1. Bowl game
2. Be competitive in every game.
3. Have enough remaining depth to avoid a mid-season/end-of-season collapse even if there are further injuries.
4. Defense and special teams continue their stellar play.
5. Offense plays at a higher level against the better competition.
6. Continue to be on the plus side in turnovers.
7. Reduce pre-snap penalties.
8. They get the O-line fixed.

Hopes:

1. No more injuries please.
2. Things break our way in more than our fair share of games and we finish above 6-6.
3. Sean Tucker thrives on the better competition and is beyond pleased with his performances.
4. Garrett Shrader continues to get better and wills us to continued success.
5. Attendance keeps growing until the Dome is an absolute madhouse.
6. The staff stays together another year.
7. We get some unexpected wins on the recruiting trail.
8. Some players with remaining eligibility, who could leave for the NFL, follow Mikel Jones' example and stay to try to make next year better than this one.
9. No one on the two deep portals out.
10. Josh Hough sees the field next year on the DL.
11. Thompson (LB) comes back next year better than ever.

There's probably more that should be each list, but...

Were they favored vs Lville or Purdue?
It's great that they won those games, but it is irrelevant. I'm saying it would not be that big of disappointment to me if they only win one more game in this difficult stretch. It would be Babers' second best season.

Last edited:
Reading through these comments it really makes me sad how low our expectations have become for being SU football fans. The constant losing year after year has no doubt taken its toll. For me personally, I believe this teams has a strong brotherhood and will finish the season by beating many of the teams left on the schedule. Just watching the Mob Podcast has opened up my eyes to how close these players are to each other and how determined they are to be successful. I see a more complete team then we had in 2018 and I am not going to fall into that dismal thought that six wins is a successful season. This teams will win 10 maybe 11 games and that will not be a surprise to me.

LGO !!

Reading through these comments it really makes me sad how low our expectations have become for being SU football fans. The constant losing year after year has no doubt taken its toll. For me personally, I believe this teams has a strong brotherhood and will finish the season by beating many of the teams left on the schedule. Just watching the Mob Podcast has opened up my eyes to how close these players are to each other and how determined they are to be successful. I see a more complete team then we had in 2018 and I am not going to fall into that dismal thought that six wins is a successful season. This teams will win 10 maybe 11 games and that will not be a surprise to me.

LGO !!
"Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between" - Maya Angelou

e08b2dd87c88a871a089c99388fc840d.jpg

It's great that they won those games, but it is irrelevant. I'm saying it would not be that big of disappointment to me if they only win one more game in this difficult stretch. It would be Babers' second best season.

It isn't that difficult. NC State is much worse than their ranking. Clemson is worse than their ranking. Notre Dame is pretty bad. Pitt is worse than expected. FSU is still an enigma but could have a fired HC by the time we play them. Wake is Purdue without a D. BC stinks. Getting only 2 Ws over that stretch would suck. Luckily we overachieved the first 5 games. If we underachieve these last 7 games (go 2-5), that will bring us back to par. But it still would be an underachievement from here on out (not for the season).

I feel like this season is a success as long as next season is as well. We need to have at least 2-3 consecutive winning seasons if we are going to get this program healthy, instead of winning 8+ every 4 years or so.

It isn't that difficult. NC State is much worse than their ranking. Clemson is worse than their ranking. Notre Dame is pretty bad. Pitt is worse than expected. FSU is still an enigma but could have a fired HC by the time we play them. Wake is Purdue without a D. BC stinks. Getting only 2 Ws over that stretch would suck. Luckily we overachieved the first 5 games. If we underachieve these last 7 games (go 2-5), that will bring us back to par. But it still would be an underachievement from here on out (not for the season).
I am optimistic about the rest of the season, but after only five games, I cannot objectively and definitively declare that Syracuse is better than any of the remaining teams other than Boston College.

I am optimistic about the rest of the season, but after only five games, I cannot objectively and definitively declare that Syracuse is better than any of the remaining teams other than Boston College.

We are also not worse. We have half of those games at home. Going 1-5 over that stretch of toss up games would be pretty bad.

Im not a predictions guy but I keep in mind that we've had 4 winning seasons in 17 years. Going 7-6 will be successful. The schedule is tough down the stretch. Everyone left is better than Louisville and at least on par with Purdue. We do have some NFL talent on this team but that doesn't always show in the record.

1-6 in our final seven games would be a massive disappointment.

Perhaps. But I just want to make a bowl. I think this team will beat BC and then gets one of the remaining home games. So 7-5 is my guess.

We are also not worse. We have half of those games at home. Going 1-5 over that stretch of toss up games would be pretty bad.
I love your optimism, but "toss up games" is pretty generous.

V,
why do they have to be better? Other than Clemson none of the other teams are clearly better than SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom