So what's TD do from here? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

So what's TD do from here?

Of course he has options. I think he will do what he has always done. Practice hard, be ready, and let the season play out.
Is he eligible to play next year? I thought this was his last year.

Yes. he redshirted as a true F. This is his "Covid" Jr year. He is eligible to play next year.

Yup.

That said, while he could transfer and play elsewhere next year, would he?
(I’d imagine he tries his hand at some sort of pro football, someplace. I doubt he’d come back, for any reason.)

He’s likely gonna stay very ready, as he’s literally a bad half away from being called in as a reliever
(see: FSU & UNC ‘18),

and one bad hit away from being the starter again.
(See: pretty much every Syracuse season after 2012)

Last edited:
Yup.

That said, while he could transfer and play elsewhere next year, would he?
(I’d imagine he tries his hand at some sort of pro football, someplace. I doubt he’d come back, for any reason.)

He’s likely gonna stay very ready, as he’s literally a bad half away from being called in as a reliever
(see: FSU & UNC ‘18),

and one bad hit away from being the starter again.
(See: pretty much every Syracuse season after 2012)
Nobody should be surprised to see TD on the field again this season. Either by game plan, injury, or ineffective play by GS. I'm not necessarily predicting or hoping for any of that. Let's hope that TD continues to prepare as if he is "one snap away" because he is.

I wonder if the 2 hour time frame is standard among programs? Also wonder when GS was told he was starting?.

Hmmm while I agree somewhat with what you are saying. Fact is the D was holding up the offense in the majority of those games until they wore out. TD has shown nothing this year that has me saying he absolutely deserves QB1, that being said, neither has GS. 4 games in and I still can't form a real opinion on this team other than certainly feels like we're playing better football than the past two years. I've been very vocal about my displeasure in Dino the past two years. Right now though, he's done enough for me so far to keep my mouth shut and hope that we can sustain our ability to compete down to the wire. I honestly think, barring major injury, that we go to a bowl with either TD or GS behind our running and defense. Do we keep up with teams that can score 40+ a game? Doubt it. Can we wear 3 more teams down to get to a bowl? I think we can.
There are better individual metrics to show how bad/mediocre he’s been. Just like Eric didn’t win/lose every game himself, so his w/l is a poor metric to determine how well he played.

I don’t know why you thought that comment was pro-Tommy. Wins and losses are a team stat, full stop.

Very impressed with the measured responses and cool head TD showed. He could have gone off and dumped his frustrations in public. He didn't.

Hope he stays ready. I have a feeling he'll be needed before the season is over.
Tommy is a class act. 100% behind him. Forget about football. Based on his interview he is going to do well football or no football.

Tommy will win at least one game mor for us this year. Likely more

There’s no good way to tell a senior starter that he’s not starting, but there are wrong ways to do it. I thought Dino handled it fine. Some QBs aren’t told until warmups.

Exactly. Also I was happy to see TD had a chance to express himself and his concerns as a result of that decision and they met again to talk through it. Let the kid who has been your guy since he stepped on campus unload a little. It's a lot. TD came in with a big rep, had some big moments stepping in for Dungey and then crash. Sacked non stop, struggling to be a playmaker and just overall a really tough couple of years.

There are better individual metrics to show how bad/mediocre he’s been. Just like Eric didn’t win/lose every game himself, so his w/l is a poor metric to determine how well he played.

I don’t know why you thought that comment was pro-Tommy. Wins and losses are a team stat, full stop.
It was the context in which you posted it. It was a reply to an anti-TD post and you quoted the whole thing, not just the line about his W-L record so it appeared to be a defense of TD.

As for the whole W/L thing, I get that football is a team sport, I get that you can play a great game at QB and still lose, I get that you can be mediocre and still win. But a bad QB is going to make it EXTREMELY difficult for even a talented team to win. There is a reason Tom Brady's W-L record is what it is and a reason why Andy Dalton's is what it is. Sure there are exceptions i.e. Stafford. But he was also setting franchise records behind terrible OLs and non-existent running games. TD isn't setting any records so his performance has absolutely had a direct impact on how this team does or doesn't do.

Why couldn't Shafer win after Dungey went down?

Why couldn't Dino win with Mahoney?

See in those two circumstances, the lackluster play of our QB had a direct result in those losses. It's not nearly as black and white as you'd like to make it.