So what's TD do from here? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So what's TD do from here?

The red zone point is perhaps the most relative, I think. This is not a knock on TD, but there is no doubt our red zone efficiency is better with GS. Of course, you have to actually GET to the red zone to make that significant. So the question is, does TD give us more opportunity to move the ball between the 20s? I have supported TD, I still do. The kid seems to just want to win like everyone else. But right now it seems like sustaining drives is everything. But SU is not built for that. No matter who the QB is, I think we will be wildly inconsistent sustaining drives. Which means, when we DO get to the red zone, we need points desperately.

There! That’s enough equivocation for one morning.

IMO Shrader can put us in more makable 3rd downs. If not for a false start our first five 3rd downs were all 5 yards or less. Overall not including the last one as we were killing clock, we had 7 of 12 at 5 yards or less. And 3 of those over 5 yards were at 6 or 7 yards. The problem was we only converted 4 of those 12 which given the distance is unacceptable.

1st drive
3rd and 2 turned to 3rd and 7 due to a false start

2nd drive
3rd and 4
3rd and 2

3rd drive
3rd and 1 (TD)

4th drive
None

5th drive
3rd and 5

6th drive
3rd and 7

7th drive
None

8th drive
3rd and 9

9th drive
3rd and 6

10th drive
3rd and 11

11th drive
3rd and 3
3rd and 4

12th drive
3rd and 1
3rd and 16 (was last drive and setup the FG)

He’s not saying he won’t transfer, he’s saying he won’t “quit”

meaning, he won’t leave mid season and will support the team the rest of the way

I think TD transfers no matter what. Even if he was the starting qb right now.

I think TD needs a change of scenery to succeed, but that’s just my opinion
What does dad say? ;)

Normally hate the social media stuff buuuuuuuuut...

10617667.jpg
Looks like someone got to TD and told him that liking a post about your coach lying to you won’t go over well. It’s no longer on his Twitter account.

How long before he enters the transfer portal?

Looks like someone got to TD and told him that liking a post about your coach lying to you won’t go over well. It’s no longer on his Twitter account.

How long before he enters the transfer portal?

So what’s the lie? “After this guy graduates, you’ll start for the next 3 years.”

I guess it needs to be understood by everyone that there’s “as long as you get the job done” written in the fine print. Would seem to be obvious in sports but...

You know we won this week, right?

Lazy reply.

Yes. IMO, we were fortunate to get the W. IMO, Liberty's coach played a significant role in that based upon some questionable decisions in the 4Q, along with poor clock management.

The broader point is; our offense in YEAR SIX is nothing that was promised and envisioned when Dino spewed his 'close your eyes...3rd year game 4' malarkey, etc. That's what my specific reply to Sudano's post was capturing.

In any event, I saw a lot of the same ol same ol again on Friday night, especially after our early 2nd half score, where we did squat on offense for the remainder of the game. Thankfully, Freeze's blunder(s) and a big play by our D, put us in position to kick the game winning FG at game's end.

Lazy reply.

Yes. IMO, we were fortunate to get the W. IMO, Liberty's coach played a significant role in that based upon some questionable decisions in the 4Q, along with poor clock management.

The broader point is; our offense in YEAR SIX is nothing that was promised and envisioned when Dino spewed his 'close your eyes...3rd year game 4' malarkey, etc. That's what my specific reply to Sudano's post was capturing.

In any event, I saw a lot of the same ol same ol again on Friday night, especially after our early 2nd half score, where we did squat on offense for the remainder of the game. Thankfully, Freeze's blunder(s) and a big play by our D, put us in position to kick the game winning FG at game's end.
So both teams/coaches sucked, and we got lucky.

Nice. Glad you enjoy sports!

Add all the Tommy roll outs to the right where he holds the ball too long and runs out of bounds for a 6 yard loss.

He probably had 10 in the two Pitt games alone.
Good point. The OL was hot garbage last two years

They just did - against a team that had a strong 2020 season, a bowl win, came in undefeated, has a QB with good all-around skills.

Can’t under estimate the value of a good defense, a top RB, a QB who does not turn the ball over, and who make plays with his feet in the red zone. Not pretty, but it gives us a chance.
They surprised Liberty by not playing TD. If teams start prepping for a guy who can’t throw deep it’s going to take a lot to maintain the running game.

I’m nervous that we’ll see a stacked box and will start averaging 2 yds a carry. The OL is doing a good job of getting push and GS is a big strong kid. But if it gets too congested someone will have to pass consistently. If GS can grow into that, with our schedule - we’ll go bowling.

They surprised Liberty by not playing TD. If teams start prepping for a guy who can’t throw deep it’s going to take a lot to maintain the running game.

I’m nervous that we’ll see a stacked box and will start averaging 2 yds a carry. The OL is doing a good job of getting push and GS is a big strong kid. But if it gets too congested someone will have to pass consistently. If GS can grow into that, with our schedule - we’ll go bowling.
Maybe the plan is to UNC 2018 teams. We will keep it close (FSU, Clemson, VA Tech, NC State, BC lack punch), and then bring in Tommy to throw it deep. The opponent will not have game planned for Tommy just like in 2018.

This is TIC but I bet this does happen in a game this year.

I mean, you have to remember before the Albany game TD came out and had that article about how he fully thinks he’s done enough to be the full time starter etc etc

I’m sure being benched for Liberty was a bit of a shock for him
If you just take this years play, no one lost the starting role outright. I think to both of these guys (GS had similar comments) and their egos - that’s earning the job.

Fire under both is helpful, IMO

What you're leaving out is that most pass plays have a vertical component. Unfortunately, TD is always looking for the homerun and rarely checks down to the safe receiver. He simply has difficulty making decisions at the LOS.
The last 2 years, I might agree. This year? Not so sure.

20+ yards
Tommy 2 for 7. 1 drop. pressured 4 times. 1 TD no interceptions.
Garrett 0 for 9. No drops. Pressured 6 times. 1 interception.

Garrett looking for the homerun.

10+ yards
Tommy 3 for 4 no drops no pressure
Garrett 4 for 5 no drops. 3 times under pressure

0-9 yards
Tommy 27-18 3 drops 5 times under pressure
Garrett 13-9 1 drop. 2 times under pressure.

Behind LOS
Tommy 9 for 9
Garrett 10 for 10

When under pressure
Tommy 60% adj completion rate
Garrett. 41.7% adj completion rate

To your point.
Tommy with 5 throw aways
Garret with 1

Last edited:
IMO Shrader can put us in more makable 3rd downs. If not for a false start our first five 3rd downs were all 5 yards or less. Overall not including the last one as we were killing clock, we had 7 of 12 at 5 yards or less. And 3 of those over 5 yards were at 6 or 7 yards. The problem was we only converted 4 of those 12 which given the distance is unacceptable.

1st drive
3rd and 2 turned to 3rd and 7 due to a false start

2nd drive
3rd and 4
3rd and 2

3rd drive
3rd and 1 (TD)

4th drive
None

5th drive
3rd and 5

6th drive
3rd and 7

7th drive
None

8th drive
3rd and 9

9th drive
3rd and 6

10th drive
3rd and 11

11th drive
3rd and 3
3rd and 4

12th drive
3rd and 1
3rd and 16 (was last drive and setup the FG)
Agreed. They will hand the ball to Tucker with Shrader at QB.

I really hate the “Year 6” references. Not that they’re untrue or inaccurate. But things happen sometimes. I really feel that 2016 and 2017 there was a whole new vibe. True the 4-8 records were disappointing. But a couple of big upsets were hopeful. 2018 was great. We overachieved a little. 2019 we underachieved a little, and the OL issues started to surface. 2020 was an abomination but between COVID, social issue distractions and injuries, I don’t put much weight on it. (Not a popular view I know, but I don’t care.) We would all have loved it if this SU football reclamation project had taken a linear form, but it didn’t. Life is tough all over.

Yes it’s year 6. The defense is playing great. We seem to be addressing the OL issues. We seem to be better at QB than the last two years, even if it’s not perfect. Maybe Lamson is the real deal. Maybe Morgan. Maybe some hit prospect sees an opportunity to play right away here and signs up.

For me, it’s about (1) Do things look like they are improving, and (2) Does the team positively reflect on my alma mater? Relight now, I can say yes to both. Sure I wish we were already back to Top 25 status regularly, but I believe we will get there. Not at the schedule some might want, but eventually.

Tommy's record is 7-12 as the starter, including coming off a 10 win season.
Tommy is not the answer. Tommy is not a very good QB, unfortunately.
He made his name and reputation in a 7 on 7 tournament.
Unfortunately, the game is not played 7 on 7.
QB W/L record in a team game is probably the most overrated metric

2019 we underachieved a little, and the OL issues started to surface. 2020 was an abomination but between COVID, social issue distractions and injuries, I don’t put much weight on it.
I think you're underselling the importance of 2019 and how crucial building momentum off that 2018 success was for a program like ours. Massive missed opportunity. And I dont get fans discounting 2020. Syracuse wasn't in a vacuum, everyone else (minus Uconn who doesnt matter anyways) dealt with all the same issues, and Dino failed biiiigggg time while others didnt. Everyone dealt with covid, everyone dealt with social distractions, and injuries hit every team. They're bigger for Dino because he also fails at recruiting depth compared to other P5s, as evident by our class rankings.

For year 6 I think most think / want to be a lot farther down the road of this rebuild than where we are. I mean Dino is literally number 1 on coaches hot seat

I fully expect Tommy to play a significant role this year but it is going to be off the bench as a change up pitcher. Personally i would like to see Dino mix it up. Give Tommy snaps when the field position or game situation plays to his strength vs Shrader. Make teams prepare for both. They are two completely different QBs one is a pocket passer the other is more of an RPO with the focus on Run QB. Play them both as that gives us the best chance at success.

If Tommy Devito is upset at SU coaches now.
Then just go away. Dino has done nothing but give him chance after chance.
He isn’t guaranteed the job without performance deserving it.
My god enough of this crap from him.

I get we aren’t loaded with talent but he has been a major part of the problem as well.

If Tommy Devito is upset at SU coaches now.
Then just go away. Dino has done nothing but give him chance after chance.
He isn’t guaranteed the job without performance deserving it.
My god enough of this crap from him.

I get we aren’t loaded with talent but he has been a major part of the problem as well.
Bingo. I’m sure he or his dad are lurking still and that’s why it was unliked.

He’s had ever chance in the world to lead the program and be the starter. We all want him to succeed. He’s been a great ambassador for the school. But let’s not forget some of the stuff his dad said. If he had better options after last year I’m sure he would have transferred. He was probably told he would start or have every chance to start. He did in the first three games and didn’t run away with it.

I think you're underselling the importance of 2019 and how crucial building momentum off that 2018 success was for a program like ours. Massive missed opportunity. And I dont get fans discounting 2020. Syracuse wasn't in a vacuum, everyone else (minus Uconn who doesnt matter anyways) dealt with all the same issues, and Dino failed biiiigggg time while others didnt. Everyone dealt with covid, everyone dealt with social distractions, and injuries hit every team. They're bigger for Dino because he also fails at recruiting depth compared to other P5s, as evident by our class rankings.

For year 6 I think most think / want to be a lot farther down the road of this rebuild than where we are. I mean Dino is literally number 1 on coaches hot seat
I get all that. 2019 was a lost opportunity. Dumping the program now doesn’t reclaim that lost opportunity. It simply wipes the slate clean - but not really because it’s not like people will forget - and HOPE you can get it right this time.

We have wiped that slate clean 4 times since the debacle that was the Coach P dismissal. We haven’t gotten it right yet. Well with Marone, yes based on some standards. There are no guarantees.

We know that the average tenure of a D1 football coach is about 4 years. (Actually less.) So MOST OF THE TIME people get it wrong. I remain hopeful HCDB can get this turned around. Maybe the renovated Dome will help. Maybe one QB recruit would be all it would take. (As someone said during the game, imagine SU with Willis at QB.) If that one change could make things that dramatically improved, I like those chances better than wiping the slate clean… again.