So when we end up with 8 wins | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So when we end up with 8 wins

If Dino has 1-2 years left on his contract after this season and he wins seven or eight games this year… if he doesn’t get fired then does he start asking about an extension? If no extension, then he could argue that he’ll be viewed as a lame duck coach and that would hurt recruiting, etc. So, is it better to lose out and ensure that the “reset button” gets hit?.

If Dino has 1-2 years left on his contract after this season and he wins seven or eight games this year… if he doesn’t get fired then does he start asking about an extension? If no extension, then he could argue that he’ll be viewed as a lame duck coach and that would hurt recruiting, etc. So, is it better to lose out and ensure that the “reset button” gets hit?.
No. Its always best to win.

My thoughts (and I think JW's thoughts) are:

8-4 keep him regardless of bowl outcome but only 1 year extension
7-5 fired regardless of bowl outcome
6-6 fired regardless of bowl outcome
5-7 fired
4-8 fired

I wouldn't be upset if he was let go even if he wins the next 4 games

Watching Pitt today they had a solid group of athletes and their defense looked mostly solid against Notre Dame in the first half. Two INTs of Hartmann I think When he only had three coming into the game. No offense by Pitt but what does it matter we have no offense either. We will lose by at least ten points.

BC has a good mobile QB and really strong secondary. I think they steamroll us on Friday. They’re basically VA Tech but with a proper QB who can throw.

Go ahead and dump Dino, we’re not winning again this season

2 of our last 4 losses were to a terrible Clemson team that’s about to finish 6-6 and a Va tech team that was 3-4 with losses to Purdue, Marshall at home and Rutgers on the road. The last 4 loses have not been remotely close. UNC biggest win of the year is against us. Most of their other games have been relatively close. Stop trying to turn whatever the end of the year could be into something positive.
Clemson is better than their record. They should have defeated FSU and Miami. They had better numbers everywhere except the scoreboard. NC State was at home. It is hard to beat them in Carter-Finley Stadium. Strange things are known to happen there FSU will tell you, voodoo rather than the referees. Duke was laying for them the entire off season. That was their first game. Did you see the Cards shut out Duke who had their starting QB healthy for a change? First time this season. I think they will beat FSU in the ACC title game.

This is crazy but if Dino and the staff can pull the kids together we can win every remaining game on the schedule. BC Wake should be wins. Pitt as well. Gtech will be hard. Im going out on a limb that we get to 7 wins. I have no idea what has been going on with this team. None but something is off internally as the guys are so off it has to be something.
Yes, that is crazy. That creaking sound you hear is the limb cracking. We are more likely to lose the next four than win them.
We found fools gold in the first four games with wins against what we now know are very weak opponents.
Every remaining opponent is probably looking forward to playing us and penciling in a win.

Every coach in the ACC knows how to scheme us, especially without Gadsen.

If JW hasn't seen enough then he is a TV exec not an AD.

Call me crazy, but I think there is a reasonable path to 8 wins.

- BC is hardest of the remaining 4 games. It’s the game of the season IMO. We win there, the team regains some confidence. We lose, and the wheels have totally fallen off on this season.

- Pitt is the most winnable game left on schedule; they are a steaming pile of excrement. We should NOT lose this game.

- @Gtech; the team should have some momentum here if we beat Pitt and BC. A win is possible.

- Wake on senior day. Wake has not looked great. This should be a win
Confirmed. You are crazy. As much as I would pray day and night that you could be correct, I would also be crazy to believe that this team will have 8 wins.

The assumption that we sneak a single victory the rest of the season would be a Herculean task. We’re in no place to judge any other teams in a negative manner. Frankly, we should be fortunate that we’re still part of a major conference given by our performance on the field.

This is crazy but if Dino and the staff can pull the kids together we can win every remaining game on the schedule. BC Wake should be wins. Pitt as well. Gtech will be hard. Im going out on a limb that we get to 7 wins. I have no idea what has been going on with this team. None but something is off internally as the guys are so off it has to be something.
Have you watched these other teams play? You think we are beating Wake? GT? Boston College lol we are light years away from these teams right now. We can’t throw we can’t block

My thoughts (and I think JW's thoughts) are:

8-4 keep him regardless of bowl outcome but only 1 year extension
7-5 fired regardless of bowl outcome
6-6 fired regardless of bowl outcome
5-7 fired
4-8 fired

I wouldn't be upset if he was let go even if he wins the next 4 games

If he goes 8-4 I think 2 years is accetpable. I think he is still a dead man walking but you can argue 2 years is warranted. Also that lets him coach next year and 2025. If he stinks in 2024 he is a sacrificial lamb against that gauntlet in 2025. Let the new HC ease in with the 2026 schedule.

I agree about the 7-5 personally but I think no way SU pulls the trigger. He gets a 1 year extension I bet.

The rest I think we can all agree with.

A few things to consider, why does this team always tank late season? I think they are either overworked or undertrained early in the season, too bad Dino doesn’t have a 7 week HS season. Dino would coach a couple seasons and move on to the next challenge before Syracuse. After 8 years here maybe he is ready to move back to TX or CA and take on a new challenge or even retire. He seems like he’s counting down the days til summer vacation.

Are you serious?

A few things to consider, why does this team always tank late season? I think they are either overworked or undertrained early in the season, too bad Dino doesn’t have a 7 week HS season. Dino would coach a couple seasons and move on to the next challenge before Syracuse. After 8 years here maybe he is ready to move back to TX or CA and take on a new challenge or even retire. He seems like he’s counting down the days til summer vacation.

You see a lot of teams get better as the year goes on. Never with Dino. I think people get a look at us those first 5-6 games and then have a plan for us. He has no plan and is not capable of making any adjustments. I think he also lacks discipline and focus. So the longer the season goes on, the less on point the team is. That all comes from practices. If he had accountability, we wouldn't see this. He is too laid back for his own good.

No. Its always best to win.
I disagree as fiercely as humanly possible. The writings on the wall. Dino isn’t the guy. This isn’t year 3 or 4 where we’re waiting for his recruits to become upperclassman. We’re on year 5 of his recruits being upperclassmen. Dino isn’t the guy. He lost the team. Winning out is the worst thing that could happen.

Maybe we will never be a consistently good team ever again. That’s definitely a possibility. But we’ve already seen our ceiling and floor with Dino and it’s ugly. At least a new coach brings some sort of hope and optimism that there’s a chance this ship can be righted.

Giving Dino more years is just going to lead to more frustration, apathy and sliding deeper into the abyss.

I hope we win out.

That would be great!

I disagree as fiercely as humanly possible. The writings on the wall. Dino isn’t the guy. This isn’t year 3 or 4 where we’re waiting for his recruits to become upperclassman. We’re on year 5 of his recruits being upperclassmen. Dino isn’t the guy. He lost the team. Winning out is the worst thing that could happen.

Maybe we will never be a consistently good team ever again. That’s definitely a possibility. But we’ve already seen our ceiling and floor with Dino and it’s ugly. At least a new coach brings some sort of hope and optimism that there’s a chance this ship can be righted.

Giving Dino more years is just going to lead to more frustration, apathy and sliding deeper into the abyss.
To me this is exactly how I feel too.

And what a year to have so many games as the solo game at that day/time on national tv.

Someone said it’s better for recruiting and national exposure to win those games then the potential Callahan auto parts Tommy bowl (I named the bowl) that no one watches on dec 28th at noon and I couldn’t agree more.

I don't think the next 4 games are exactly a murderers row. I also wouldn't be shocked if all 4 look pretty mediocre and the games are close. I don't expect more than 1 win but could easily see 2.

But if you aren't giving Dino an extension you have to move on.

0 chance Dino is gone if they finish 7-5, he's probably safe if 6-6 as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom