So, who are we going to close with? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So, who are we going to close with?

Not going to name names, but looking at our potential roster for next year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see another 8-10 guys enter the portal/ take their degrees and move on.

I expect HCFB to do a more detailed inventory of the roster and have a few more tough conversations after the bowl game.
As I noted a week or so ago, there’s going to be some brutal assessments

Let's go with
Harris, Barnes, Chappell, Raikes

Not sure if Bertrand is going to be a take, but if he is, then add him to the list.

I think we are a serious dark horse for McKinley - like, under way more consideration from him and his family than the national services know.

Not saying we land him, but I wouldn't scoff at our chances.

The question that remains is OL. Not really any "ideal" portal guys left.

Saw someone post Seaton as a long shot from HS ranks, so let's presume non starter.

We might add some portal OL that I am not sure would supplant any current projected starters for next year.

This will remain fluid for the next few months for sure as more names enter portal.

Let's go with
Harris, Barnes, Chappell, Raikes

Not sure if Bertrand is going to be a take, but if he is, then add him to the list.

I think we are a serious dark horse for McKinley - like, under way more consideration from him and his family than the national services know.

Not saying we land him, but I wouldn't scoff at our chances.

The question that remains is OL. Not really any "ideal" portal guys left.

Saw someone post Seaton as a long shot from HS ranks, so let's presume non starter.

We might add some portal OL that I am not sure would supplant any current projected starters for next year.

This will remain fluid for the next few months for sure as more names enter portal.
Seaton signed with Colorado yesterday

How about 2-3 proven offensive linemen from the portal. Our bowl game certainly showed the need!

144% that Fran & crew will address this glaring need.

But - it may not happen right away.

There’s still the Spring portal, and that’s when we got Wohlabaugh (sp?) for example.

Franny Claus’ list likely still has the following needs:

2-3-4 portal OL.

2-3 portal/HS DT.

2-3-4 portal/HS CB.

Another QB.

144% that Fran & crew will address this glaring need.

But - it may not happen right away.

There’s still the Spring portal, and that’s when we got Wohlabaugh (sp?) for example.

Franny Claus’ list likely still has the following needs:

2-3-4 portal OL.

2-3 portal/HS DT.

2-3-4 portal/HS CB.

Another QB.
Yeah that’s the problem right now - the portal is slim pickens. It got picked apart for OL for the most part before Fran was in the chair. I think the portal last year for OL was a lot deeper (and naturally all Dino got out of it was More who wasn’t even in the top 50 for portal OL).

As far as OL - how about this guy? Was on the 2 deep at LG for UGA as a true freshman. Entered the portal on 12/20 so pretty fresh. Originally from VA. Guess he was flipped from Penn St so doesn’t appear to have a problem playing in the North.

As far as OL - how about this guy? Was on the 2 deep at LG for UGA as a true freshman. Entered the portal on 12/20 so pretty fresh. Originally from VA. Guess he was flipped from Penn St so doesn’t appear to have a problem playing in the North.

Was he really on the 2 deep? Supposedly he never played this past season.

Was he really on the 2 deep? Supposedly he never played this past season.
He was technically 3rd on their depth chart at LG but the 2 guys in front were RS Sophs I believe. Those guys were “or” so he was listed on the 2 deep because of that.

He was technically 3rd on their depth chart at LG but the 2 guys in front were RS Sophs I believe. Those guys were “or” so he was listed on the 2 deep because of that.
I think I would go with technically 3rd but on the depth chart.

Yeah that’s the problem right now - the portal is slim pickens. It got picked apart for OL for the most part before Fran was in the chair. I think the portal last year for OL was a lot deeper (and naturally all Dino got out of it was More who wasn’t even in the top 50 for portal OL).
"Right now" is irrelevant.

There will be two more giant waves in the portal -- one after bowl season (i.e., in next 10 days).

And after spring practice.

We'll capitalize when the right players are available. No need to settle / reach on positions of need.

"Right now" is irrelevant.

There will be two more giant waves in the portal -- one after bowl season (i.e., in next 10 days).

And after spring practice.

We'll capitalize when the right players are available. No need to settle / reach on positions of need.
And we won’t. The kid we landed today - I’m extremely excited about because he’s a 4 year kid and I guarantee Fran isn’t committing to kids like that unless he thinks they can really make an impact.

Wondering if we’ll see Naquil Betrand from A&M next - ERob is falling behind Fran here!

Wondering if we’ll see Naquil Betrand from A&M next - ERob is falling behind Fran here!
Even if he is, I'm wondering if a kid like this can be an immediate contributor.

Even if he is, I'm wondering if a kid like this can be an immediate contributor.
I think there’s going to be space to add 3-4 OL. If it was me I’d pine Illoa, Kauhi, Moelo and Ellis (if the staff thinks they can’t get him in proper playing shape with proper upper body strength). Ellis would be a nice piece if he can get conditioned. The first 3 though we need upgrades for.

Based on the 2-4-7 class calculator, Miller’s addition will bump us up to the 29th class overall. Adding Barnes and some of the others still in play will put us in the top 25 barring other schools ahead of us making signings additions.

Last edited: