So, who are we going to close with? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

So, who are we going to close with?

We have to stay at or under the 85 limit for total scholarships but because of the coaching change, we can bring in as many recruits as we like for next year.

As long as we stay at or under 85 total.
thx

We have to stay at or under the 85 limit for total scholarships but because of the coaching change, we can bring in as many recruits as we like for next year.

There is no more 25 annual limit.

If you lose 40 guys due to graduation or portal, you can replace everybody.

When does the 85 limit become effective? At one time I thought it was the start of fall camp.

When does the 85 limit become effective? At one time I thought it was the start of fall camp.
I was also under the impression it was similar to the NFL salary cap in that there were certain “compliance windows” where a team had to be under the 85 limit (meaning they could be over the limit for a short time during the offseason while building out their roster).

I would assume there would be one in the Spring semester and Fall semester - having a hard time getting a definitive answer with the Google machine though.

Anyone know the specifics of if and when a team can be over the 85 limit?

In all seriousness, I suspect all of the kids on the roster are having conversations with their families this week about what they are going to do. Those decisions will be made and subsequently communicated to the school soon.

I have no idea how many Fran has suggested should move on. I have no idea how many kids will not like the way things look to be going and decide to move on of their own accord. But I suspect that will result in more movement. I also wouldn’t be shocked if we see further movement in the Spring portal window as some guys fall behind the depth chart of the new recruits and transfers Fran is bringing in to establish his vision.

when do we need to be at the 85 limit? Do we have to be under that limit by start of summer camp? By start of January activities? Because I suspect that date also impacts just how much movement we see coming in the short term vs before next season begins.
I also remember Fran saying something to the effect that he wasn't going to let these guys go until they had an offer that made sense for them. That may take a bit for some of these JUCOs we've recently brought in that had zero other P5 offers.

Good on Fran, but the old staff really left these kids in a tough position.

Think that we’re at 87 currently.

This is Ox's current count. There is a lot of room for fluxuation of the numbers.

I thought I read somewhere that we need some more slots to open and figured that would happen post bowl/Christmas. My hope is we see Chappell, Harris, the DT out of A&M Raikes, Barnes, Humes, McKinely, oline grad Travis and maybe QB Jackson.

We need a haul similar to this to have a real shot at being a top ACC team next year. We are still half a dozen bricks shy of a load.

We need a haul similar to this to have a real shot at being a top ACC team next year. We are still half a dozen bricks shy of a load.
Truth

Truth

I have to say, though, that Gadsden, Wax and Barron all coming back is freaking huge. It's like 3 more great transfer signings, equal to any 4 stars we have coming in.

It's solidifies the middle of the defense, and brings back a great receiving threat for our new QB, a guy who can catch 50 passes for you.

I also remember Fran saying something to the effect that he wasn't going to let these guys go until they had an offer that made sense for them. That may take a bit for some of these JUCOs we've recently brought in that had zero other P5 offers.

Good on Fran, but the old staff really left these kids in a tough position.
That’s kind of him, but I seriously doubt he lets them hang around just because they have no where else to go if he’s got talented kids ready to take their roster spot.

That’s kind of him, but I seriously doubt he lets them hang around just because they have no where else to go if he’s got talented kids ready to take their roster spot.

I’m pretty sure in that instance - no landing spot, and no spot on future roster -
that those players would be allowed to keep their scholarships, to finish out their degree,
but no longer be part of the football program.

Thus freeing up another roster slot for an inbound player.

Hopefully anybody who wants to keep playing, lands something via the portal.
But at least this way, the ones who don’t, won’t leave Cuse empty-handed.
They’ll have a degree.

I’m pretty sure in that instance - no landing spot, and no spot on future roster -
that those players would be allowed to keep their scholarships, to finish out their degree,

They’ll have a degree.
Exactly my thought. He's not going to carry dead weight, but he's also going to do everything in his power to make sure these kids have successful lives after football.

They’ll have a degree.
How does a player keep their scholarship if not a member of the team?

I dunno who we close with... but I hope this is the LAST year NYS has an "R" on it...

I want Christian Mahogany. I like his religion and his cellulose.