So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

Kids in his first year. Idk why so many are so quick to castoff players. He's an athlete.
cuffes an undersized 2 guard but he is the perfect team player and gives his all...will root for guys like that all day. you can tell he has the right mentality about the game...he totally gets it.

he's been out of the game for a few years now too...so of course this season wasnt his best.

I expect him to make a leap next year, no doubt.

but he's probably not starter material until maybe senior year...as a 4th/5th guard, hes about as good as it gets, imo...as much as I like him...wouldnt want him to be a major piece next season...but a great depth player, imo.

What about the selfless walkons who pull in the right direction? Just play them Red even got their hopes up when he made that threat.

Taylor is not a good player we've seen guys of his ability lose their jobs entirely and not play at all Carey, Goodine, Kaleb. If he is brought back next year then starting him makes sense but if he leaves the program its a ridiculous move that drove talented players out. We ended up with a 6 man rotation though so he was always going to play.

Go look at the portal recruiting thread people are suggesting middle of the pack A10 players. The idea we can get someone more talented than Q in the portal is insanity. We developed him for 2 years so he can go somewhere like Uconn and win a title is probably what happens if he gets pushed out. Taylor will go to an A10 school and struggle for minutes if he wants to start Ivy or Patriot.
exactly

what if red brought in a player with a similar profile to taylor in the portal?

people would lose their minds

So reading between the lines the home game (BC?) that Judah came off the bench was clearly some type of in-house suspension?

Red held guys out multiple times, suspended a player, and possibly didn't start Quadir in part because of some things he felt Quadir needed to work on.

Red presented lots of consequences.
Okay, let me rephrase: why didnt he apply consequences that worked. Good, he kicked Benny but if quadir was a big problem then he, at the very least, shouldn’t have seen the court for at least one game. Like great you didn’t let him start, that’s like taking away 1 controller from your kid as a punishment but leaving him the other 3.

Okay, let me rephrase: why didnt he apply consequences that worked. Good, he kicked Benny but if quadir was a big problem then he, at the very least, shouldn’t have seen the court for at least one game. Like great you didn’t let him start, that’s like taking away 1 controller from your kid as a punishment but leaving him the other 3.
Really? I get you hate Red and troll all you can here, but how many players did we have?

I’m sure you would have been happy when Red did that to play walk ons.

It's easy to say let a kid (or multiple kids) go. However, when we don't know what we're getting in return, it's not that easy. That said, if a guy isn't a team guy and/or is working against what Red is trying to do, show them the door regardless.

Really? I get you hate Red and troll all you can here, but how many players did we have?

I’m sure you would have been happy when Red did that to play walk ons.
I don’t hate red, with the new information we’ve learned on this thread it all makes sense why this team struggled to compete this year. They were clearly only selectively held accountable for their actions, on the court or otherwise.

I would much rather see walks on play because players are being held accountable versus a coach bowing down to their players whims.

I get you’re soft and afraid to criticize people making millions of dollars because maybe one day you might meet your hero, but I am tired of the endless excuses that this season has brought. I’d rather see a team of nobodies go out and try hard EVERY NIGHT then trouble makers get a pass. As you’ve all been more than happy to claim all season: this year was about changing the culture, yet here we are in March learning that the culture was garbage all year and only 1 player was held accountable. Hey though, at least we can pretend like we’re better than others when it proves convenient. Maybe one day people will stop claiming I’m a “troll” and recognize that what I’m saying is simply an uncomfortable truth.

What would working have looked like to you?

Quadir is a tough one. I would want him to stay. He’s athletic, unafraid and can play at this level. I would like to think that Red could coach him up. He is willing to rebound and his shot, while not good, should improve as his mechanics are not terrible.

On the flipside as I have complained about before, he does not prioritize taking care of the ball, and is more interested about getting on sportsCenter. He is not a good shooter and cannot finish with his left hand. His defense somehow has gotten a pass from many on this board, but it is awful.

I think a big factor that some have alluded to although not directly on this board is that the team is somewhat divided. On one hand, you had the four of Benny, Judah, Q and Bell. On the other hand, you have Maliq, JJ, JT and Cuffe. The level of commitment to team and the behavior level is so much greater for the latter four that it isn’t close. We have seen immature and disrespectful behavior from the first four repeatedly and it really is up to Red to decide how much he can take. But I think it is pretty clear that he is looking for his team to adopt a mindset of the latter four next year.
I'm a huge fan of his ability and his toughness. However, I have no clue what goes on off the court. If he is a troublemaker show him the door.

What would working have looked like to you?
Not jawing at the refs through March, not yelling at red on the court in February, not yelling at teammates, not blankly staring off into the abyss anytime their coach is teaching them, not quitting on games when things don’t go your way, playing the system your coach is looking to install?

What makes you think the consequences were working?

Last edited:
I don’t hate red, with the new information we’ve learned on this thread it all makes sense why this team struggled to compete this year. They were clearly only selectively held accountable for their actions, on the court or otherwise.

I would much rather see walks on play because players are being held accountable versus a coach bowing down to their players whims.

I get you’re soft and afraid to criticize people making millions of dollars because maybe one day you might meet your hero, but I am tired of the endless excuses that this season has brought. I’d rather see a team of nobodies go out and try hard EVERY NIGHT then trouble makers get a pass. As you’ve all been more than happy to claim all season: this year was about changing the culture, yet here we are in March learning that the culture was garbage all year and only 1 player was held accountable. Hey though, at least we can pretend like we’re better than others when it proves convenient. Maybe one day people will stop claiming I’m a “troll” and recognize that what I’m saying is simply an uncomfortable truth.
tears-of-joy-amanda-holden.gif

I can't believe anything without proof. If it is as bad as you say I think we would have seen more actions from Red that reflect that. He kicked Benny off the team and suspended him for short stretches. Why no 1 game suspension for these other guys who continue to be bad guys? Why did the so called trouble makers not at least receive a reduction in minutes or a tighter leash? I cant believe anything without more proof. Whether it is a long time respected poster who I like or a first time poster.
Asking for a friend, are you from Missouri?

I don’t understand this board anymore. We want Q gone, but Cuffe to stay.
Totally beside the point.
The two issues are mutually exclusive: Cuffe should stay, because of what he brings. Q should be gone, because of what he doesn't bring, ie; maturity, steadiness, leadership, team player, etc. The two items can be unrelated, but both true.

Last edited:
Totally beside the point.
The two issues are mutually exclusive: Cuffe should stay, because of what he brings. Q should be gone, because of what he doesn't bring, ie; maturity, steadiness, leadership, team player, etc. The two items can be unrelated but both true.
Surely we have a lab where we can extract Cuffe's maturity and team player mindset and infuse it in to Q?

Nobody knows or actually cares if these are good or bad kids. If the so called bad kids were a little better at basketball then some of this attitude stuff would be either brushed aside or viewed as a part of what makes them good basketball players. You chose to read into body language and 2nd hand rumors because we are not winning enough. Anything on the subject of good or bad kid is lame as hell. You guys just want to win more.
You are exactly right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom