So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

Remember 2 years ago, we couldn't figure out why there was no portal action and we relied on 6 incoming freshman? And the response was the coaches are working on a 2 year plan. That 2 year plan has expired, what do we have to show for it? An internal coaching transition, 1- 20 win season, no NCAAt. How many of those 6 will make it to year 3?
This is a really sobering post.

Right. Thats why I don't get Q portaling (allegedly)

Q / Starling / Cuffe
Moore / Starling / Portal
Freeman / Westry / Portal
Brown / Freeman
Portal / McLeod
Portal/ Westry
Starling/ ? / Moore/ Cuffe
Probably Portal
Brown or Freeman
Hopefully Portal/ Mcleod/ Patterson(still don't think he will be ready)

Will need to add probably three starters from the portal along with depth.

I love Q as a 6th man and spark off the bench. He doesn’t play more than 15-20 mins per game on a solid tourney team. He doesn’t shoot the ball well enough for a guard and he’s turnover prone. Qs replaceable and as much as I hate to see him leave, this shows me that Red is serious about upgrading the roster. I mentioned it earlier today, but there is no one on this roster who should feel safe about minutes for next year. We need upgrades everywhere.

This is a pivotal year for Red and will probably be a massive part if he continues here must further than that, you think he trusts Q to determine his career? I wouldn't.
I’ve got news for ya……They’re ALL pivotal years. It’s the most overused comment in all of sports. As far as Quadir goes, I’ll just repeat what I said to another poster…….I believe in him, you don’t.

At this point, I'm fine with whoever leaves outside of Brown, Bell, JJ, and Westry. Add Freeman and Moore and as others have said...a big and a true PG are a must! Along with those, this team needs a leader(captain). Q was the closest one they had, and if the rumors of him leaving are true, we are even more desperate for someone to step up and take that role!

Based on scuttlebutt:

Naheem McLeodInjured
Mounir HimaGraduating
Chris BellWho knows
Malik BrownHope he stays
Quadir CopelandGone
Kyle Cuffe, Jr.Who cares
Judah MintzGone
JJ StarlingGone
Justin TaylorGone
Chance WestryInjured
Peter CareyGone
William PattersonRedshirted

Judah- yes, he really seemed to enjoy himself last night

Bell- He’s been here 2 years now. I think homesickness may have worn off.

Taylor- Probably right on this one

Patterson- More depth? We didn’t even have a STARTING center this year.

Q- He was born to play in the dome. He’s back.
My bad on Patterson. For some reason I thought we had a center coming in. Do you think McLeod comes back?

Based on scuttlebutt:

Naheem McLeodInjured
Mounir HimaGraduating
Chris BellWho knows
Malik BrownHope he stays
Quadir CopelandGone
Kyle Cuffe, Jr.Who cares
Judah MintzGone
JJ StarlingGone
Justin TaylorGone
Chance WestryInjured
Peter CareyGone
William PattersonRedshirted
JJ?

BTW, I think when eventually everything is out in the open (not saying I know), I think Red getting to 20 wins with this roster is going to seem like walking on water.

This isn't a joke. I think he basically got us to 20 wins while dealing with a den of mayhem.

I was very enthusiastic about seeing what Peter Carey could become. But, he should transfer. To a program that will play him at a more realistic position. He’s not a center. He is not a back-to-the-hoop offensive player and he can’t defend centers at this level. I’m kinda sick of us consistently taking skinny high school forwards and sticking them in the post, and it becomes even more nonsensical when we have a former guard trying to do the conversion.

Taylor would be a nice depth piece, but he shouldn’t be starting for us if we mean to improve, and he shouldn’t have nearly the minutes he was given this year. Not his fault, to take the place of Benny. And I like his attitude. Or lack thereof. He’s the kind of kid that should be a part of the program, but we need more productivity and I think he’d find more rewarding opportunities elsewhere. Unless he’s willing to take a smaller role, and can improve the J….

Q, I wish would stay. But I can understand wanting to be a starter. Everyone brings up Dion, but Q wants to be an NBA player and one exception in our history doesn’t make a rule. I don’t know if he has the game discipline to be a starting PG with us. He has the vision and skills to be a weapon, and maybe starting would take a bit of the pressure off him to make impact plays. Maybe he could settle into being more solid and less of a wildcard, but I doubt it. I just think it’s his character to be an entertainer, and it’s like the scorpion crossing the river on the frog’s back.

Judah… I don’t know what to say that hasn’t been said many times before. I won’t miss him. He took on a lot of scoring responsibility, and sometimes that happens just as you assess yourself vs your teammates, and sometimes that happens with a personal agenda. We saw a bit of both. Whatever. He didn’t pay smart, didn’t run an efficient offense, and played ineffective defense, despite a few flashy steals. He was enigmatic. If the character were better, I’d have a different perspective on him, but I didn’t see much maturation this year, after too many issues last year.

I hope JJ comes back. Not sure what Cuffe’s ceiling is. I have no idea what Patterson is going to be. Or whether McLeod will be healthy. We need a center. And then we need to figure out if Maliq can be a 4 against a 3.5 in Freeman. And then how would Bell fit in? Bell is another guy I can’t predict. Would like him back, stronger and with a better commitment to D, but I can’t see him taking a 6th man role. A kid who shoots 40% from 3, started, and was so capable of big scoring nights is probably not going to be happy about a diminished role, with our recruits coming in. And I’m not sure we couldn’t find more efficiency in the portal. Not a better shooter, but a combination of some shooting, rebounding and defense, and consistency might be the replacement fit. But who offers him a better platform in the portal? It’s going to be an interesting next month or so.

Yeah no rules any longer on transfers. It’s free game.
I may have missed something but the way I understand it, there was an injunction that allowed two time transfers to play while a court case was argued. NCAA asked for a continuance to cover the rest of the academic year, but to my knowledge the case is still pending. I may very well be wrong but that’s the last I remember reading.

Now, based on the prevailing climate the odds are pretty low of the NCAA winning the case, but there is still some gray area to be determined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom