So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

Would you treat someone his age that works any other job similarly? Waiters? Cashiers? They certainly make less - but them getting paid has nothing to do with whether or not guys should suck it up.

Be with your guys through thick or thin. They are not perfect. What we need to do is provide the context in which they can most easily become a better version of themselves. Not attacking and antagonizing
Interesting perspective. I do not yell at players at games. I do not bash them on social media. I may complain about their play on the court on this message board, but do not speak to their character.

If a waiter/waitress screws up my order, asks me 100 times what I want, is slow to respond or I catch them talking to their friends on staff rather than working the room, you better believe I will tip them accordingly. Or say something directly to them.

Is it our guys' fault they weren't good enough to play at SU? Or have fatal flaws that prevent the team from winning? Not necessarily. But I see enough of some of their attitudes to know that they are deserving of some criticism/blame. It is the reality of the position their in. They love the accolades they receive, the NIL money they get, the exposure, etc. How is it that one can't opine about their on-court faults? As long as it is not personal, I don't understand that argument anymore.

I expect several Syracuse players will enter the portal this week but we won't be picking up many players until April when most teams are eliminated from the NCAA's and their players enter the portal and take time to make their decisions.

There will be several good players available this week but does Syracuse want to fill most of their openings with players from programs of non-tourney teams? We will find out.

I'll trust red to make the right decisions here, but in my mind it could be as high as 4 or 5 guys for various reasons. Outside of Benny I don't know who follows next

I'm more concerned with who we are bringing in than who is leaving. Players leaving is just the way things are now. Read this morning that as many as 1800 players may enter the portal. That's over 5 per team. Everyone is looking for the next Dalton Knect - JUCO, Northern Colorado, Tennessee, to NBA first round draft pick. With that said, this new reality sucks. Give me a team of 4 year guys who grow and we get know over this crap the NCAA has turned into.

I'm more concerned with who we are bringing in than who is leaving. Players leaving is just the way things are now. Read this morning that as many as 1800 players may enter the portal. That's over 5 per team. Everyone is looking for the next Dalton Knect - JUCO, Northern Colorado, Tennessee, to NBA first round draft pick. With that said, this new reality sucks. Give me a team of 4 year guys who grow and we get know over this crap the NCAA has turned into.
Team of four years guys may get boatraced if other teams are able to upgrade spots every single year.

Team of four years guys may get boatraced if other teams are able to upgrade spots every single year.
Not true teams that stick together and are older are always better. See Creighton for example

Give me a team of 4 year guys who grow and we get know over this crap the NCAA has turned into.
At this point, give me a Syracuse team that can be ranked during the regular season and makes noise in the dance... and I'll live with players signing 24-hour contracts and a completely different roster every game.

IMG_4947.gif

What about teams of 4 year guys that have played for 3 teams like Knecht?

Lots of 'intrigue'—it's interesting to ponder the potentials of next year's team, but i gotta say, i'm somewhere in between disgusted and apathetic in how i feel about this era of college sports. Next year, no matter what we bring in, is going to be like the juniors version of the 2023 Boeheim's Army team.

It's all mercenary now. We shouldn't expect to have quality players for more than a year or two at most. We're probably going to be scouting as much from Div II as from high schools. And the players we do recruit or poach are going to be paid enough that they feel entitled to fling F-bombs at officials and our coaching staff.

I watched every minute of every available game since 1985. Until this year. This year, i turned off three games with ~5 minutes to go, and didn't bother to watch 3 or 4 games live. And the minutes i did watch were with ipad in hand, and the game was almost secondary. I used to watch every minute in rapt attention, legs crossed, fingers crossed, in an SU shirt, with orange 'stuff' at hand. Yeah, i'm older now, and life changes you, but this era of sports just sucks out loud.

Been checking in-
Expected SU portal announcements to come early/often today(?)
Is there a delay strategy the "definite" portalers are following?

You heard wrong.
Just because you say that with conviction doesn't mean it is the case. People who would know have told me good things about Quadir. Not that he is perfect. But you really have apparently changed the narrative on this kid on this board and I hope it wasn't hyperbolic. I hope you are being careful using your reputation here on the board when trashing the name of a college student. It is very easy to say things when you are anonymous and don't have to be held accountable.

Things happen behind the scenes as we all know. But the difference of behavior between Quadir and the other 3 guys on the court has been significant.

Today our coaches meet with the kids individually so it isn't that surprising there wasn't portal news earlier today.
If the individual player meetings weren't being held until today, why decline the NIT if we don't yet know how the year-end meetings will go and how many players will be going to the portal?

Either it's so bad Red didn't want to spend more time coaching these guys since they will be pushed toward the portal or the players made it known they didn't want to play in NIT and wanted to hit the portal asap?

It's unacceptable we haven't flushed the whole team down the toilet, signed 12 transfers, booked a trip to Europe and announced the starting 5 for game 1 next year. What is Red doing? Asleep at the wheel...I mean first practice is only 7 months away. We demand action.

For the obtuse ones in the room, yes this post is tongue in cheek, ok?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom