So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

Just because you say that with conviction doesn't mean it is the case. People who would know have told me good things about Quadir. Not that he is perfect. But you really have apparently changed the narrative on this kid on this board and I hope it wasn't hyperbolic. I hope you are being careful using your reputation here on the board when trashing the name of a college student. It is very easy to say things when you are anonymous and don't have to be held accountable.

Things happen behind the scenes as we all know. But the difference of behavior between Quadir and the other 3 guys on the court has been significant.
Actually Scott, I haven't trashed him at all. I have never said any of the things I have heard. Not once. But, if you are correct, then I'm sure the coach and his staff will work something out where he returns.

It's unacceptable we haven't flushed the whole team down the toilet, signed 12 transfers, booked a trip to Europe and announced the starting 5 for game 1 next year. What is Red doing? Asleep at the wheel...I mean first practice is only 7 months away. We demand action.

For the obtuse ones in the room, yes this post is tongue in cheek, ok?

Don’t forget while riding a unicycle and juggling knives

If the individual player meetings weren't being held until today, why decline the NIT if we don't yet know how the year-end meetings will go and how many players will be going to the portal?

Either it's so bad Red didn't want to spend more time coaching these guys since they will be pushed toward the portal or the players made it known they didn't want to play in NIT and wanted to hit the portal asap?

Because they apparently knew that some were leaving, or some were objecting to play. When you only have 7 guys, it only takes a couple to make playing untenable. And who wants to get Maliq hurt, to be honest?

Actually Scott, I haven't trashed him at all. I have never said any of the things I have heard. Not once. But, if you are correct, then I'm sure the coach and his staff will work something out where he returns.

You've been pretty definitive that he's a bad character, Dash. Don't walk away from that now; you've said it several times in several ways. Everybody has seen it.

Im not sure your definition of "trashed" but this certainly wasn't a glowing review of his character.

He might leave for reasons other than bad behavior, right? Like maybe Red doesn't want to turn the keys over to a guy who values getting on sportscenter over taking care of the ball?

Im not sure your definition of "trashed" but this certainly wasn't a glowing review of his character.
IMHO as a random person on this message board, Q has not been “trashed”. This is actually a huge pet peeve of mine. “Trashed” or, another favorite of mine, “ripped” are so overused in the media. I see those terms and I think of one person just going off on another person. It’s almost never the case.

So far I’ve read Q is gone because (maybe) he wants to start, doesn’t want the role Red wants to give him, hasn’t gone to class in a month, and someone on the team might be a particularly bad egg and it’s hinted it could be Q. I hardly call any of that “trashing” someone.

IMHO as a random person on this message board, Q has not been “trashed”. This is actually a huge pet peeve of mine. “Trashed” or, another favorite of mine, “ripped” are so overused in the media. I see those terms and I think of one person just going off on another person. It’s almost never the case.

So far I’ve read Q is gone because (maybe) he wants to start, doesn’t want the role Red wants to give him, hasn’t gone to class in a month, and someone on the team might be a particularly bad egg and it’s hinted it could be Q. I hardly call any of that “trashing” someone.
OP: "Reading as this thread continues I’m a little uncomfortable with the shots at Quadir’s character. "

Response: "Don't be uncomfortable about that. He has richly deserved it. People are not making it up."

Maybe that's not trashing by strict definition, but it certainly isn't making a neutral statement.

Lots of 'intrigue'—it's interesting to ponder the potentials of next year's team, but i gotta say, i'm somewhere in between disgusted and apathetic in how i feel about this era of college sports. Next year, no matter what we bring in, is going to be like the juniors version of the 2023 Boeheim's Army team.

It's all mercenary now. We shouldn't expect to have quality players for more than a year or two at most. We're probably going to be scouting as much from Div II as from high schools. And the players we do recruit or poach are going to be paid enough that they feel entitled to fling F-bombs at officials and our coaching staff.

I watched every minute of every available game since 1985. Until this year. This year, i turned off three games with ~5 minutes to go, and didn't bother to watch 3 or 4 games live. And the minutes i did watch were with ipad in hand, and the game was almost secondary. I used to watch every minute in rapt attention, legs crossed, fingers crossed, in an SU shirt, with orange 'stuff' at hand. Yeah, i'm older now, and life changes you, but this era of sports just sucks out loud.
I think this is beating a dead horse.

We get it. College sports have become the fat lady (or man) still at the bar at 2am. What we decide to do with that is individual taste. Some of us are ok going home to an empty bed. Others find it’s not so bad if you dim the lights.

It's the "bad egg" / PITA part that some feel is inappropriate.

Just because you say that with conviction doesn't mean it is the case. People who would know have told me good things about Quadir. Not that he is perfect. But you really have apparently changed the narrative on this kid on this board and I hope it wasn't hyperbolic. I hope you are being careful using your reputation here on the board when trashing the name of a college student. It is very easy to say things when you are anonymous and don't have to be held accountable.

Things happen behind the scenes as we all know. But the difference of behavior between Quadir and the other 3 guys on the court has been significant.
This is your post below from page 13 of this thread Scott. You start your criticism (trashing?) of Q after the first paragraph. In your final paragraph you bunch Benny, Q and a few others as basically bad guys who are uncommitted and imply bad behavior levels. My point here is there is no need to target Dash. Dash has contacts and you have contacts. You both share data points.

Quadir is a tough one. I would want him to stay. He’s athletic, unafraid and can play at this level. I would like to think that Red could coach him up. He is willing to rebound and his shot, while not good, should improve as his mechanics are not terrible.

On the flipside as I have complained about before, he does not prioritize taking care of the ball, and is more interested about getting on sportsCenter. He is not a good shooter and cannot finish with his left hand. His defense somehow has gotten a pass from many on this board, but it is awful.

I think a big factor that some have alluded to although not directly on this board is that the team is somewhat divided. On one hand, you had the four of Benny, Judah, Q and Bell. On the other hand, you have Maliq, JJ, JT and Cuffe. The level of commitment to team and the behavior level is so much greater for the latter four that it isn’t close. We have seen immature and disrespectful behavior from the first four repeatedly and it really is up to Red to decide how much he can take. But I think it is pretty clear that he is looking for his team to adopt a mindset of the latter four next year.

He might leave for reasons other than bad behavior, right? Like maybe Red doesn't want to turn the keys over to a guy who values getting on sportscenter over taking care of the ball?
Sure. But I know what I know. And it isn't like the kid is a killer. I can see where some people see him in a different setting and would have a different opinion of him. But if he leaves, I don't think Red will be broken up about it. Oh, and if he were to stay, I wouldn't be unhappy. I think he has great potential and I don't have to deal with him every day.

Could be another reason for not accepting NIT bid.
And that's what I thought. Other credible posters have been cryptic, saying there is a lot of stuff going on right now. Easy to speculate and jump to conclusions.

This is your post below from page 13 of this thread Scott. You start your criticism (trashing?) of Q after the first paragraph. In your final paragraph you bunch Benny, Q and a few others as basically bad guys who are uncommitted and imply bad behavior levels. My point here is there is no need to target Dash. Dash has contacts and you have contacts. You both share data points.

Quadir is a tough one. I would want him to stay. He’s athletic, unafraid and can play at this level. I would like to think that Red could coach him up. He is willing to rebound and his shot, while not good, should improve as his mechanics are not terrible.

On the flipside as I have complained about before, he does not prioritize taking care of the ball, and is more interested about getting on sportsCenter. He is not a good shooter and cannot finish with his left hand. His defense somehow has gotten a pass from many on this board, but it is awful.

I think a big factor that some have alluded to although not directly on this board is that the team is somewhat divided. On one hand, you had the four of Benny, Judah, Q and Bell. On the other hand, you have Maliq, JJ, JT and Cuffe. The level of commitment to team and the behavior level is so much greater for the latter four that it isn’t close. We have seen immature and disrespectful behavior from the first four repeatedly and it really is up to Red to decide how much he can take. But I think it is pretty clear that he is looking for his team to adopt a mindset of the latter four next year.
Perfect

Matt Govendo from Financial Wealth Management. He's a fan who gets air time on the show to promote and do segments, and types in the chat that Gmac is gone. Nothing more.

I'm surprised it didn't gain any traction or discussion here.
This would suck! Only reason I see him leaving is Hop got a new job and he is going with him.

Matt Govendo from Financial Wealth Management. He's a fan who gets air time on the show to promote and do segments, and types in the chat that Gmac is gone. Nothing more.

I'm surprised it didn't gain any traction or discussion here.
Someone here posted the same last week. I think right after the NC St game

This would suck! Only reason I see him leaving is Hop got a new job and he is going with him.
Everyone wants a roster overhaul, but the one constant through this down era of SU hoops has pretty much been the coaching staff. Sure JB is gone, but we promoted from within. Maybe a little fresh blood on the bench wouldn't be a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom