So why Maryland and Rutgers thinking B1G: It's Fox Stupid | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So why Maryland and Rutgers thinking B1G: It's Fox Stupid

A school like L'ville would probably keep the football people happy and the basketball people happy as well.

UCONN really only keeps the basketball people happy

BTW if the B1G does get MD why add RU right away as #14? Why not use MD's yes to go after UVA, UNC, Duke? What would be the point in adding RU? They will be there still next year as #14 if need be and are a worse choice than UVA. Announcing RU on Tuesday as ESPN is claiming would seem like a silly move for the B1G.

Looks like it's gonna happen.

We're all going to hate ND after this.

Well, we now know, as most suspected that Plank is 100% behind this move. Only made sense that it wouldn't have gotten this far without his backing. And it appears he is trying to gain support amongst those board members who may not have made up their minds. So it's "active" involvement.

Cheers,
Neil

patience is a virtue and I dont have it either...newest factoid which is depressing: It has been said that B1G will pay fee to Maryland to help defray cost of exit from ACC...this is now getting out of hand.

This was a no-brainer. MD has Delaney bent over a chair. They can ask for the world right now and get most of it. Delaney is desperate to secure TV sets. You can bet that MD won't pay much out of pocket right now if this goes down. They will have a big IOU to the BiG. Delaney will probably sign the $50 million dollar check and send it directly to Swofford just for shits and giggles and a dose of one-upsmanship.

MD fans are going to HATE this move two years from now. It won't help their recruiting in BBall or Lax, and eventually they will suck in all three. Just like Len Elmore said...buyers remorse will hit them like a ton of bricks.

Yeah. Contrary to popular belief there are a lot of Terps who wouldn't mind leaving, it's not like 90+% want to stay.

Why do they want to leave? Is it an inferiority complex with Duke and UNC? Are they scared of SU and Pitt?

If they really wanted to leave that much, then F*** Marinatto for never trying to get them.

Looks like it's gonna happen.

We're all going to hate ND after this.
The vote is going to happen...it might not pass but the is real. Notre Dame has yet to weigh in.

A school like L'ville would probably keep the football people happy and the basketball people happy as well.

UCONN really only keeps the basketball people happy
If the report that FSU is demanding the best FB school out there, I expect the conference to hold its nose and invite L'ville. Of course, out of loyalty, I am sure Pitino will veto the move.

I already discussed Fox/News Corp in my post from information I got from a Penn State friend. That is why Swofford has to go ESPN and Penn State and come up with terms that satisfy all 3. With the B1G inching to get to the free market for their Tier 1 rights ESPN has to see the writing on the wall from a Fuel TV rebranded Fox Sports 1 from News Corp. If ESPN doesn't help the ACC now they are going to either have to OVERPAY to keep the B1G or lose partial rights to one of the top conferences in college sports. With that said NO CHANCE Navy is the top choice to replace Maryland, ND isn't joining up because of Navy or they would already be in the conference. The choices realistically are UConn 50% Louisville 49% Penn State 1%.

The vote is going to happen...it might not pass but the is real. Notre Dame has yet to weigh in.
ND released a statement that their commitment to the ACC was not altered by the MD move.

ND released a statement that their commitment to the ACC was not altered by the MD move.

I meant weigh in on what assurances they can give UMD to remain patient

I already discussed Fox/News Corp in my post from information I got from a Penn State friend. That is why Swofford has to go ESPN and Penn State and come up with terms that satisfy all 3. With the B1G inching to get to the free market for their Tier 1 rights ESPN has to see the writing on the wall from a Fuel TV rebranded Fox Sports 1 from News Corp. If ESPN doesn't help the ACC now they are going to either have to OVERPAY to keep the B1G or lose partial rights to one of the top conferences in college sports. With that said NO CHANCE Navy is the top choice to replace Maryland, ND isn't joining up because of Navy or they would already be in the conference. The choices realistically are UConn 50% Louisville 49% Penn State 1%.

If your B1G GOR info is true, wouldn't it be funny if this was all an evil ploy by Swafford? He has MD "leave" the ACC for the B1G to negate the GOR. This allows PSU to leave for the ACC, and then MD before signing the new GOR decides to stay in the ACC. Brilliant!!!

Can't wait till we get invited to Nike East Conference Broadcast by ESPN

Seems like we are heading that way.

The winners of Reebok, Under-Armour, Nike and Adidas Conferences will play for the Phil Knight Trophy

I wouldn't be surprised at anything. For all we know, Swofford could have approached ND and said "Hey, we'll let you join as a partial, forever, on the sneak-tip. All we care about is staying stable with what we have." And then ND is all "Dude, if we do that, the B10 is goin' to be pissed! Hah. Do you have a plan for that?" etc etc

At least I hope people are thinking this far ahead.

Just because you discussed, doesn't mean it makes sense. It's a minority sale to begin with that hasn't even happened yet, and nowhere does anyone who has talked about this truly connect the dots to how this benefits getting the BTN on in NYC for full price. And finally, the sale isn't even a sure thing, as per Forbes just two days ago.

Cheers,
Neil

fox had it all wrong with romney,and they will have it all wrong on the girls.

yes network viewers will not want to watch rutgirls

Yeah, that's reassuring. :rolleyes:
Out of all the players in this latest scenario, the one I distrust the most is ND.
If the ACC is banking on ND to move the needle, we are definitely up Sisht's Creek...w/out a paddle.

You add UND to the ACC, and the ESPN price skyrockets, too, don't forget...assuming that there is no ACC-ND Network set up at that time.

This was a no-brainer. MD has Delaney bent over a chair. They can ask for the world right now and get most of it. Delaney is desperate to secure TV sets. You can bet that MD won't pay much out of pocket right now if this goes down. They will have a big IOU to the BiG. Delaney will probably sign the $50 million dollar check and send it directly to Swofford just for shits and giggles and a dose of one-upsmanship.

MD fans are going to HATE this move two years from now. It won't help their recruiting in BBall or Lax, and eventually they will suck in all three. Just like Len Elmore said...buyers remorse will hit them like a ton of bricks.

this guy nailed it:

Love hearing the Maryland folks complain about the "North Carolina bias" of the ACC. Right. Go join the BiG "Ten." Within a year, you'll be complaining about the bias toward Michigan and tOSU in football, and the bias toward Indiana and Michigan State in basketball. You have mostly second-rate college programs (I'll give basketball the benefit of the doubt - Turgeon seems sharp) in a pro sports town. Joining the BiG Ten won't fix that problem.

The under armor money piece was in an article today. Plank, or whatever his name is will be helping MD.

MD is an AAU or whatever school. I don't think they are CIC.

I don't buy the BTN on Yes either.

As to Navy. The ACC isn't taking Navy. Anyone talking Navy to the ACC doesn't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Can our finance guys tell me this: If the UA guy was giving the $50M to UMd., would he not gift the stock to UMd, thereby taking a charitable deduction and avoiding capital gains tax. The guy is looking at a huge tax hit cashing it in himself before giving them the money.

Can our finance guys tell me this: If the UA guy was giving the $50M to UMd., would he not gift the stock to UMd, thereby taking a charitable deduction and avoiding capital gains tax. The guy is looking at a huge tax hit cashing it in himself before giving them the money.

I don't necessarily get the $65M stock connection. It's not like the ACC demands cash on the day you announce.

Maybe he thinks the announcement will somehow hit his stock price, so he's just doing a little insider sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't necessarily get the $65M stock connection. It's not like the ACC demands cash on the day you announce.

Maybe he thinks the announcement will somehow hit his stock price, so he's just doing a little insider sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It may have no connection whatsoever as well. But if it's connected, he could have donated the money to UM for endowed coaches salaries and/or athletic scholarships.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom