So why Maryland and Rutgers thinking B1G: It's Fox Stupid | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So why Maryland and Rutgers thinking B1G: It's Fox Stupid

Can our finance guys tell me this: If the UA guy was giving the $50M to UMd., would he not gift the stock to UMd, thereby taking a charitable deduction and avoiding capital gains tax. The guy is looking at a huge tax hit cashing it in himself before giving them the money.

He gets the same or better deduction by giving cash over highly appreciated stock.

Maybe there were some transfer restrictions on the stock if its UA stock...that's just speculation. Or maybe he has capital losses he is recognizing on other stock.

As promised, here is my latest update...surely not as specific as some would like, but as someone during football game indicated...dig deep arbi...so i have:

...and so it goes with $$$$ for athletics. A quick history lesson just received from my source (also indicated, stay calm and watch the outcome over next several months)...
Fox, owned by Murdoch happens to own a large percentage of the BTN (B1g Network). So what is the big deal...Murdoch has/is negotiating a significant share of YES...that is right, the NY Yankee cable system that includes the Yankees, Nets, and Madison Square Garden...as well as Fox Sports.

Discuss!

To clarify, neither Fox or YES have anything to do with Madison Square Garden. Madison Square Garden, its network and its teams (Knicks and Rangers) are owned by that glorious entity known as Cablevision which maybe the worst entity you can have owning your teams.

To clarify, neither Fox or YES have anything to do with Madison Square Garden. Madison Square Garden, its network and its teams (Knicks and Rangers) are owned by that glorious entity known as Cablevision which maybe the worst entity you can have owning your teams.
Not true...Cablevision spun off a while ago...Murdoch, Fox now own % of each...see, the world really does turn without us knowing about it...me too was surprised until this:

http://globalgrind.com/news-politic...ant-buy-listen-read-or-watch-any-these?page=5

and this:
Rupert Murdoch has money invested in Madison Square Garden. The Garden is owned by Regional Programming Partners, a joint venture of Cablevisions systems(60%) and Fox Sports Networks(40%).
http://www.hoovers.com/madison-square-garden/--ID__1076...

We are screwed. This conference is going to be the Big East all over again. It is also why I thought 4 years ago when this nonsense was being discussed that I said we should try to get in the Big Ten. Let the defections begin.

Why would everyone defect from the ACC over Maryland? Who cares about Maryland?

And as far as Rutgers goes, I don't see why we would care much about them either... the only impact will be that if they're in the Big 10, then their recruiting will probably stay reasonably strong as opposed to them being stuck in the Big East. If they're stuck in the Big East, it will be much harder for them to attract the top players from NJ that they've been getting the past few years.

BTN on YES makes total sense.

All they have is the Yanks and nuts and bullspit.

And if they raise the cost of YES by a dollar because of the BTN, all us Yankee fans will pay for it.

And now that the nuts are pseudo cool, because they're in Brooklyn, they have leverage to raise there as well.

The b1g in jersey means recruits look west, not north and south.

Which is bad.

And as far as Rutgers goes, I don't see why we would care much about them either... the only impact will be that if they're in the Big 10, then their recruiting will probably stay reasonably strong as opposed to them being stuck in the Big East. If they're stuck in the Big East, it will be much harder for them to attract the top players from NJ that they've been getting the past few years.

tis true and because we wont play them anymore we won't be competing against them. they being in the big 10 will have no bearing on our success or failure. they'll be the thorn in penn states side - not syracuse's. ACC recruiting has always been tough and competitve against the big 10 and that won't change.

i'd rather have access to the southern markets anyhow.

BTN on YES makes total sense.

It makes sense for YES but not for the B1G. The B1G makes money through cable fees and ads. If they put it on YES they get neither. Instead they just become a production company selling content to YES. Which nets them less money than they already get for having the BTN on in NYC. Also they wouldn't need RU to do this. In fact it makes RU a lot less attractive.

The under armor money piece was in an article today. Plank, or whatever his name is will be helping MD.

MD is an AAU or whatever school. I don't think they are CIC.

I don't buy the BTN on Yes either.

As to Navy. The ACC isn't taking Navy. Anyone talking Navy to the ACC doesn't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Except for the U of Chicago, no one outside of theB1G is a member of the CIC. And UC used to be a member of the B1G (about a thousand years ago).

If maryland does decide to go to the B1G then I think the ACC should go for the home-run and go for Texas. Hear me out, there was talk before that the ACC was looking at syracuse and texas for expansion, it has been said that the Texas AD is in love with ND. The ACC should use the help of ND and press Texas to join. Maybe use West Virginia, Louisville, or even Penn state (someone mentioned above, still hard to believe) for the 16 team. I believe with ND help, Texas would be very interested and you could possibly play texas interest to Penn State. A lot of hypotheticals here, and in all honesty its probably a dream scenario. But the conference would have Penn State, Texas, Notre Dame, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia tech, and hopefully Miami would come to relevance. That is a very solid football conference. Then for basketball you have Duke, NC, Syracuse, Texas, Notre Dame, NC State, and Pittsburgh. Thats a pretty great lineup for both sports. Like i said, probably a dream scenario but you never know. Longhorn network doesn't seem to be working like they thought it would, and Texas A&M is looking pretty good in the SEC (you know that has got to be killing Texas).

tis true and because we wont play them anymore we won't be competing against them. they being in the big 10 will have no bearing on our success or failure. they'll be the thorn in penn states side - not syracuse's. ACC recruiting has always been tough and competitve against the big 10 and that won't change.

i'd rather have access to the southern markets anyhow.

Agree. That's is clearly where some of the largest growth has been over the past decade or so (especially before the great recession began). Many people have flocked from the Midwestern states to the southern...

texas is a non starter unless there turning longhorn network into an acc network

texas is a non starter unless there turning longhorn network into an acc network

Yep, both Texas and ND (as a full) would lose A LOT of money to join ACC. Not happening.

PSU is sort of a prayer, "Hey bro I know you'll make a lot less money each year if you switch but we like each other sooo much right? East side 4 lyfe"

Vandy is interesting as in while SEC pays them more money they sort of fit it into ACC better as a private school. "Hey hey you private too? We like those. Come join our secret cool kids club".

The backup options are UCONN and L'ville. UCONN pisses off the football schools and L'ville pisses off the private schools because of academics.

An ACC raid to get Vandy would be a real smart thing to do. I'm sure Slive would be happy to trade Vanderbilt for Virginia Tech. Maybe they'd be happy to swap Kentucky for Georgia Tech while they are at it.

Vandy for NCState. There are 4 ACC teams in NC. That's a real problem.

Swofford has to be on the phone with Penn State right now trying to convince them and ND to join. This would make maryland stay and would give the ACC a ton of $. I know i am dreaming..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom