So... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So...

How about we call him Head Coach Mike Hopkins then?!?

Exactly! JB and Hop just swap jobs. Both stay and both happy!!!! JB retires, job to Hop, Hop hire JB as assistant... This is brilliant.

Exactly! JB and Hop just swap jobs. Both stay and both happy!!!! JB retires, job to Hop, Hop hire JB as assistant... This is brilliant.

I had friends during my time on the hill that were bball team managers and others that worked in the Athletic Department. They would always say that this was essentially the case. Hop effectively was the head coach. Ran practices, recruiting, etc. They said coach B was basically just a figurehead.

I could be completely wrong as I did not witness this first hand, but they would always say this.

I had friends during my time on the hill that were bball team managers and others that worked in the Athletic Department. They would always say that this was essentially the case. Hop effectively was the head coach. Ran practices, recruiting, etc. They said coach B was basically just a figurehead.

I could be completely wrong as I did not witness this first hand, but they would always say this.

I think this is the case at many programs/businesses. Others do the heavy lifting while coach/CEO sit back and reap.

OH Boy this is statring to sound a lot like what SU fans thought prior to JAB winning the NCAAT. Well at least he was teflon for a decade+.
Mea culpa.
But you can't deny the scenario I outlined is basically what we've seen over 35+ years. Surely we can do better than one Final Four every 10 years?
I'm watching UConn go to 3 in 6 years, after their APR suspension, the Dyson injury, being left-behind in the AACk, Calhoun's retirement, you-name-it. Why is a relatively perfect scenario during that same time period yielding comparatively weaker results for us? Its a legit question, and one I certainly can't answer.
We should as a program, be doing better. JMHO

rstone7727 said:
I think this is the case at many programs/businesses. Others do the heavy lifting while coach/CEO sit back and reap.

Not at *good* businesses.

Mea culpa.
But you can't deny the scenario I outlined is basically what we've seen over 35+ years. Surely we can do better than one Final Four every 10 years?
I'm watching UConn go to 3 in 6 years, after their APR suspension, the Dyson injury, being left-behind in the AACk, Calhoun's retirement, you-name-it. Why is a relatively perfect scenario during that same time period yielding comparatively weaker results for us? Its a legit question, and one I certainly can't answer.

UCONN recruits kids who can get hot and carry a team... we have had one player since GMAC graduated who could carry a team and that was Dion. Everyone else is pretty much a system player. I go back to my theory that the dynasty era team made JB decide to not recruit the kids who can get hot anymore because of the headache of it. He'd rather have kids who are great at fitting into his system on D and hope that his team can "make shots".

It's a fact we only went to one in that timeframe. But it's also fact that 2 of those seasons we lost a key cog where we might have home to the F4.

I also contend we got boned big time vs OSU.
32 minutes and 10 fouls to 2 of our best scorer's Waiters, and Southerland might indicate that, almost as if someone was paid off.

UCONN recruits kids who can get hot and carry a team... we have had one player since GMAC graduated who could carry a team and that was Dion. Everyone else is pretty much a system player. I go back to my theory that the dynasty era team made JB decide to not recruit the kids who can get hot anymore because of the headache of it. He'd rather have kids who are great at fitting into his system on D and hope that his team can "make shots".

Napier is a senior guard. Uconn fans ripped him two years ago as bad as our fans ripped Cooney this year. Same with Wilbekin at Florida. As good as dion was he averaged eleven points a game for us, and he certainly didn't carry us against ohio state. The reason we were in that game was more triche than dion, no disrespect to dion. MCW just led us to the final four last year as well. It would be nice if our guys stayed but they haven't. Guys like Napier, Wilbekin, and Russ smith are all four year players that have grown in the program. I don't buy the recruiting aspect at all. Uconn and Syracuse recruit roughly the same level of player.

Last edited:
I'm watching UConn go to 3 in 6 years, after their APR suspension, the Dyson injury, being left-behind in the AACk, Calhoun's retirement, you-name-it. Why is a relatively perfect scenario during that same time period yielding comparatively weaker results for us?
In that same 6 year period, we've had 28, 30, 27, 34, 30 & 29 win seasons. 2 Sweet 16's, 1 Elite 8 and one Final Four after the AO injury, Fab, the Bernie fiasco, Southerland, new conference, Coleman injuries, countless defections to the NBA, you name it.
Not exactly a relatively perfect scenario for us. The results are disappointing, but we've had as much or more crap to deal with as UCon.

Who has gone to the f4 in recent yeast after losing a starter just prior to the tourney?
by the way, a fact that is often overlooked in discussions of the 2010 team. In their last 7 games prior to the NCAA tournament the record was 4 wins - 3 losses. To say it was a certainty they would have defeated Butler with AO is a huge stretch. And the Big East had a tough NCAA tournament that year. I think Louisville & Georgetown both went out first round with double digit losses.

In that same 6 year period, we've had 28, 30, 27, 34, 30 & 29 win seasons. 2 Sweet 16's, 1 Elite 8 and one Final Four after the AO injury, Fab, the Bernie fiasco, Southerland, new conference, Coleman injuries, countless defections to the NBA, you name it.
Not exactly a relatively perfect scenario for us. The results are disappointing, but we've had as much or more crap to deal with as UCon.

And we're still alive and kickin'! LGO! Next year can't get here fast enough!

:)

Napier is a senior guard. Uconn fans ripped him two years ago as bad as our fans ripped Cooney this year. Same with Wilbekin at forward. As good as dion was he averaged eleven points a game for us, and he certainly didn't carry us against ohio state. The reason we were in that game was more triche than dion, no disrespect to dion. MCW just led us to the final four last year as well. It would be nice if our guys stayed but they haven't. Guys like Napier, Wilbekin, and Russ smith are all four year players that have grown in the program. I don't buy the recruiting aspect at all. Uconn and Syracuse recruit roughly the same level of player.

We wouldn't have recruited any of those players because they are too short to play the zone.

We wouldn't have recruited any of those players because they are too short to play the zone.

Boatright, Napier, smith are more "water bug" guards that wouldn't have length at the top of the zone. Wilbekin was a two star recruit. I'd love to have any of them believe me. I'm impressed with them all. Besides triche, rautins and scoop we really haven't had our guards stay long enough to be that go to college player since johnny left.I think that's why everyone seems snakebitten that Ennis is leaving after one year.

Boatright, Napier, smith are more "water bug" guards that wouldn't have length at the top of the zone. Wilbekin was a two star recruit. I'd love to have any of them believe me. I'm impressed with them all. Besides triche, rautins and scoop we really haven't had our guards stay long enough to be that go to college player since johnny left.I think that's why everyone seems snakebitten that Ennis is leaving after one year.

This is the problem... Ennis is the one player we have who seems complete... Every other team has multiple players like that on their team every year. We just don't recruit offensive skill players anymore. I hope that changes.

Wow. Key words are we "might" have been to more, let's not deal with facts. We "went" to one. Maybe Fab should never have been in school or should not have been brought back to the team. Lots of if's & but's. Sick of excuses, we have a nice program but at times we struggle in March more frequently than many teams. We can make excuses but I am sure many teams can also. Not sure which direction the program is going, a continuation of the 2011 - 2013 run or reverting to early tournament exits. Hoping we continue going up but it is definitely not a certainty.
Those are facts not excuses.

Napier is a senior guard. Uconn fans ripped him two years ago as bad as our fans ripped Cooney this year. Same with Wilbekin at forward. As good as dion was he averaged eleven points a game for us, and he certainly didn't carry us against ohio state. The reason we were in that game was more triche than dion, no disrespect to dion. MCW just led us to the final four last year as well. It would be nice if our guys stayed but they haven't. Guys like Napier, Wilbekin, and Russ smith are all four year players that have grown in the program. I don't buy the recruiting aspect at all. Uconn and Syracuse recruit roughly the same level of player.

You hit the nail on the head, Napier is a senior guard, Kemba stayed 3 years at uconn. We keep getting these great guards who only stay a year or two.

I wouldn't be worried if I knew SU could get Shaka Smart. Dream about how good his havoc pressure would be with the talent he could recruit at SU. I just doubt SU would ever pay the kind of money necessary after they have lived in fantasy land for so long with JB's way below market salary.

Living here in Richmond I got a chance to listen to Shaka Smart up close and personal and he is the real deal. Very inspirational and a real
student in terms of learning and implementing what it means to lead people. He definitely does it the right way.

You hit the nail on the head, Napier is a senior guard, Kemba stayed 3 years at uconn. We keep getting these great guards who only stay a year or two.

As Freshman and Sophomores, Russ smith, Napier, and Wilbekin either struggled or weren't big time contributors yet. This is why it be behooves us to be patient, as hard as that seems to be on this board. Who's to say in two years that isn't buss or Cooney leading us as upperclassmen.

You can't be serious. Unfortunately in basketball you have to make quick decisions in real time. That wasn't a great decision, but it certainly doesn't mean that he had 'stopped listening to the coach'.
Well in his defense, Did not JB counsel Ennis to stay one more year? So it's actually just a question as to "when" and not "if" he stopped listening to coach.

It isn't that far fetched IMO. I've been watching Syracuse basketball for 40 years. I've seen a lot. The NCAA sanctions, Smart's jumper from the corner. The Deshawn Williams/ Shumpert debacle. Otto getting punched. I don't think there is anyone here who disputes the fact that there was something qualitatively different with this team after the 25-0 mark. Methinks that something transpired with this team and it's likely related to everything here that the OP is bemoaning. I have my suspicions and I may be wrong but I think I could just as easily be right.

Well in his defense, Did not JB counsel Ennis to stay one more year? So it's actually just a question as to "when" and not "if" he stopped listening to coach.

It isn't that far fetched IMO. I've been watching Syracuse basketball for 40 years. I've seen a lot. The NCAA sanctions, Smart's jumper from the corner. The Deshawn Williams/ Shumpert debacle. Otto getting punched. I don't think there is anyone here who disputes the fact that there was something qualitatively different with this team after the 25-0 mark. Methinks that something transpired with this team and it's likely related to everything here that the OP is bemoaning. I have my suspicions and I may be wrong but I think I could just as easily be right.
I would love to hear the theory...

Do tell...hopefully it's fully conspiratorial, unsubstantiated and filled with petty nastiness with no details or facts.

Do tell...hopefully it's fully conspiratorial, unsubstantiated and filled with petty nastiness with no details or facts.
Hope springs eternal

Mea culpa.

It's a one and done tournament. People assign too much meaning to the biggest crapshoot in sports.